Skip forward and back gets out of sync with playback time (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What are some options? I can try to get a smaller problem sample, but it will probably still be fairly large.

I was watching a recording last night and I was going backwards at 2x times speed and I could see different parts of the recording jumping in and out. Very hard to find where to stop.

Anything else I can try on my own?

Reverse play (and fast-forward above - I think - 8x speed) is done by sequential skip-stepping, so will suffer from the same seeking problems as manual skipping.

adagio

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'll try the file with 1.3 today. I'm hesitant to update to 1.4, 1.5 etc because another issue I reported on different thread is that 1.7 does not find all my HD channels correctly, so I need to scan with my old 1.3 and then manually type in the channels settings back into 1.7.

Wouldn't the developers have a change log that would lead them to when the skip functions were changed?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I'll try the file with 1.3 today. I'm hesitant to update to 1.4, 1.5 etc because another issue I reported on different thread is that 1.7 does not find all my HD channels correctly, so I need to scan with my old 1.3 and then manually type in the channels settings back into 1.7.

Wouldn't the developers have a change log that would lead them to when the skip functions were changed?

Yes - it's here (for the TsReader.ax module that does most of the work) - https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...ectShowFilters/TsReader/source/TsFileSeek.cpp

The last change that made it into the Master version was included in MP 1.4.0 (the changes after that will be included MP 1.8.0)

adagio

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    I skipped back and forth around the same area for the same recorded file with both MP 1.3 and MP 1.7. I'm uploading the logs from both of those. The first part of the logs were me trying to get to the right spot. The main part of the log would be where I played the video back and forth around the 56- 58 minute mark. As expected, MP 1.3 skipped back and forth correctly. MP 1.7 would often skip to a part of the video maybe a minute back. I turned DEBUG on the logs too, hoping that would give more info.

Attachments

• log1-3 and 7.zip
      104.5 KB

adagio

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Interesting. I was looking at the two logs. MP 1.7 has log data of 'No PCR found...' but MP 1.3 doesn't have any of those logs.

The line in the code - if (m_pcrfound.IsValid) must be returning differently between the two versions.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I note there have been changes in the TsWriter code related to PCR. Not changes that I think could cause this... but it would be helpful if you could provide at least MediaPortal.log, TsReader.log and TsWriter.log wherever possible.

[edit: To be clear, the TV Server TsWriter log would only be available for live TV/timeshifting and when the recordings were actually recorded. Playing a recording won't create any TsWriter log entries.]

[edit2: It would be interesting to see the TsWriter log for MP 1.7+ simply starting live TV on the channel that these recordings come from. Could you please do a bit of channel jumping and skipping backwards and forwards with live TV and the channel that is problematic, then post the TVService.log and TsWriter.log, and tell us what the name of the channel is.]

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

adagio

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    The attached logs are from both server and player. I started live TV on the bad channel (WTMJ-HD) and skipped a few times, then switched channels to WISN-HD, skipped a few times, changed to another good channel, skipped a few times, and then back to WTMJ-DT again and skipped around there.

Thank you for your interest in this. Also thanks for the other post. I'll look into that patch!

--- oops. Forgot to turn on debug mode for logs. I can redo it if you want.

Attachments

• log-tvserver.zip
      66.5 KB
    Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The attached logs are from both server and player. I started live TV on the bad channel (WTMJ-HD) and skipped a few times, then switched channels to WISN-HD, skipped a few times, changed to another good channel, skipped a few times, and then back to WTMJ-DT again and skipped around there.

Thank you for your interest in this. Also thanks for the other post. I'll look into that patch!

--- oops. Forgot to turn on debug mode for logs. I can redo it if you want.

Thanks - I'll take a look.

If TsReader.ax doesn't find any PCR data, it will still 'seek' but with much reduced accuracy (which could produce the effect you are seeing).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From the server logs I can at least tell that we're using the original PCR PID and that there is no chance of getting a fake PID mixed up. I can't tell how frequently PCR is delivered or whether there are jumps in it that we attempt to smooth out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom