Skip to end/live during dvbip recording causes it to stop playing instead. (1 Viewer)

divxmaster

Portal Pro
February 15, 2009
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi,
I have set up Mediaportal to take a video/stream from a webpage, and feed that in as a UDP DVBIP channel,
- basically OBS studio records the streaming page and sends it to Mediaportal on udp://@127.0.0.1:9999?pkt_size=1316.

This all works fine, and if I pause and skip to end during timeshifting it works no problem
However the issue is if I get Mediaportal to schedule/record, and then watch the program while
it is still recording, when I skip to end, it just stops playing. Actually if skip to within about 3 seconds of the live point,
it stops. Play from live point never starts playing.

While this isnt a huge problem, as I can just make sure I fast forward to almost live, it would be nice to solve it,
hopefully someone knows what causes this.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

divxmaster

Portal Pro
February 15, 2009
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Its single seat (udp://@127.0.0.1), v 1.21 the latest.

Works perfectly except for the skip end problem. I have written a python script that detects a channel change in tvserver.log, and then changes the
stream to a different webpage 'channel' (just different url for each page). Just using one dvbip tuner, all the mediaportal channels point to the same
source (udp://@127.0.0.1:9999). So now I can use streaming TV (foxtel aus, sky nz) as normal channels and schedule recordings etc.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Attach a set of logs (use the MP watchdog tool to collect them as a zip file, so we get the full client + server set) and I'll take a look at them.

divxmaster

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ok thanks, do you have an idea which log it will be in (tswriter, etc?) Then I can clear it, create the problem and then
    watchdog it up. The logs are probably filled with all kinds of other issues when I was creating this setup,
    as you can see, its pretty non standard.

Cheers,
    Mike

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    evr.log, TsReader.log and MediaPortal.log from the client are the important ones (in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log )

divxmaster

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks,
    ok logs uploaded

Started a recording, played and skipped to end, worked the first two times,
    then I stopped it and went 'play from live point', it just stopped immediately.
    Then 'played from beginning' and skipped to end, it stopped playing

95% of the time it just stops playing.

Cheers,
    Mike

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_14_02_19__10_25.zip
      1.3 MB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think what is happening is that it's seeking (when you tell it to go to the end of the recording file i.e. the 'live' point if it is a recording in progress) to about 3 seconds from the end, then it has to read forward through the data until it finds a suitable point in the video stream to start playing (a 'random access' point). Unfortunately in your streams it looks like these 'random access' points are spaced several seconds apart (it depends on how the video encoding is done by the broadcaster), so sometimes MP detects 'end of file' and stops playback before it's got started... (end-of-file detection is basically 'I can't read any more data from the file so I assume I've reached the end').th

It works OK for timeshifting because effectively MP assumes timeshift files are 'infinite' and ignores any end-of-file situations.

(What happens inside is more complicated, but the above is the gist of it).

I haven't got time to look at what might be done to avoid the situation for a few days, but I'll add it to the 'to do list'.

divxmaster

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Awesome, thanks.

As mentioned, the broadcaster is myself, though OBS studio. I will see what options it has for creating the UDP streams, but I believe I've already tried all of them.
    Already tried RTP, same issue.

Cheers,
    Mike

divxmaster

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just tried OBS studio 23.0 rc2, which changes the way nvenc is used apparently, but no change, problem still occurs unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom