1.23.0 Slow rendering times (2 Viewers)

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I fully realize that this is probably not the correct place, or a correct bugreport, but since a while (maybe a month?) I have some playback issues.

I don't even know if it was introduced when I upgraded from 1.19 to 1.22 , 1.23 or to 1.23.100... but I do know for sure it worked ok in 1.19.
    For the rest of the system, apart from windows updates nothing had been changed.

And to complicate things, most of the time it works fine, so I have been trying to find some logic in it for quite a while now.

The symptoms are very juddery playback, and when I show the video performance (shift-1) I see rendering times as high as 40ms and sometimes over 100ms.
    I do know that restarting my htpc works. after that rendering times are never higher than 6ms and sometimes even hovering around 2ms.

Alt-tabbing and starting a different application (mostly gpuz to see if anything suspicious is going on) will sometimes solve it or solve it enough to comfortably watch the movie again.
    Telling windows to set the refreshrate to 50Hz and then back to what it was sometimes solves it too.
    Just restarting mediaportal never works, so it seems to be going wrong on a somewhat deeper level.

It happens with all videosource (live tv, onlinevideos, recorded tv, videos) and all refreshrates, but as I said it's very intermittent.
    Still don't know how to reliably trigger such a slow rendertime, most of the time it's all perfect but 2-3 times a week I stumble into it without any warning...

Disabled winupdates (it's win7 anyway) because that service can be quite a memory hog, and was my first suspect. Didn't help...
    All stats are quite normal (no high cpu usage, (around 25%) no alarming values in gpuz too), memory isn't stressed, nothing...
    It almost feels like something is building up over time and when it exceeds some threshold it starts to get noticable.

Usage pattern: htpc is used every day quite extensively, at night I always close Mediaportal and put the htpc into sleep-mode. Next morning it's wakeup htpc and start Mediaportal.

So, if anyone has any pointers, experiments, questions or remarks I will gladly do whatever is required to fix this.

Were there any relevant changes done to f.e. the whole directx handling that can possibly cause this?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)
    Can't say why it happen :(
    I didn't notice it here on my htpc except it DRR doesn't kick in (sometimes) when rebooting my HTPC, madVR detect new device as video, not sure why !!!

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Somehow I suspect something in the area of the refreshrate changer.
    When Rendertimes are slow, if I manually set the refreshrate of my display to (f.e. 50Hz, completely not what the video is) rendertimes are getting back to more or less normal (at the very least: watchable).
    So for now I disabled refreshratechanger and see (in a week or so?) if I encounter issues again

Edit: seeing that nothing relevant had changed there I'm starting to doubt that. But I'll leave it disabled for now, just to be see if that adds some new info.

Last edited:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    May be Graphics Drivers or Settings ?
    PS: I dont use MadVR ...

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, just updated to 1.24, and set all the refreshratesettings as they used to be and within 5 minutes the problem appeared again...
    So now I have to backtrack to find the last version that works ok. and hopefully find and fix the change in the sourcecode...
    Really not looking forward to this

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom