Slow starting and stopping TV-channels IPTV (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I made a photo of the TV part showing LAV after that I started TV and it didn't use LAV.
    Probably because you clicked cancel or the X in the top right corner when you closed MP Config. Settings are not saved when you do that.

Fast, but still lagging. The strangest lag is after pressing STOP, it takes 5 seconds to top the stream, first it continues to play for 2 seconds, then it will stalls at one frame for 3 seconds and finally it stops.
    Log files please. I can't help without them.

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Attached logfiles.

1. Starting a channel is now ok. It takes about 3 to 5 seconds to tune and start.
    2. Stopping is laggy, after pressing stop it takes about 3 to 4 seconds to get back in the menu
    3. zapping from channel to channel is slow, that takes about 10 seconds. When I zap, the screen goes black instantly, and I hear a strange sound (it sounds like an old phone ringing). The sound is about 2 to 3 seconds.
    During my zapping tests the TV Service crashed once too.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Both the channel changing and stopping delays can be traced back to the IPTV source. The source seems to be behaving sluggishly, though currently I'm not sure why. It's not one single "thing" that's taking all the time; rather, it's "death by 1000 small cuts". Each log entry seems to take 10+ ms. This kind of behaviour is typical of situations when a file or process is being monitored by security software.

In addition to disabling plugins as previously described, you could try changing the log level to 0 (none) in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\MPIPTVSource.ini.

• Stopping is laggy, after pressing stop it takes about 3 to 4 seconds to get back in the menu
    • zapping from channel to channel is slow, that takes about 10 seconds. When I zap, the screen goes black instantly, and I hear a strange sound (it sounds like an old phone ringing). The sound is about 2 to 3 seconds.
    As above: it looks like both of these are caused by sluggish IPTV source performance. Something's really not right there. Still waiting on log files from the laptop for comparison.

During my zapping tests the TV Service crashed once too.
    Have you remembered to apply the MPIPTV_UDP.dll patch that I previously told you about?

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Each log entry seems to take 10+ ms. This kind of behaviour is typical of situations when a file or process is being monitored by security software.
    I'm confident I ruled out folders, executables and processes the correct way. But I'll investigate further. Maybe some Sysinternals tools can help me to find out.

First I'll disable Windows Defender completely. For readers who want to know how, please try these register files:

Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

In addition to disabling plugins as previously described, you could try changing the log level to 0 (none) in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\MPIPTVSource.ini.
    I'll try this asap!

As above: it looks like both of these are caused by sluggish IPTV source performance. Something's really not right there. Still waiting on log files from the laptop for comparison.
    Ok will post them soon. Note that the laptop is on wifi. So that could slow down some performance too.

Have you remembered to apply the MPIPTV_UDP.dll patch that I previously told you about?
    Yes I did. To be sure I didn't mix up DLL versions, I'll download it again and overwrite it.

Last edited:

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Still waiting on log files from the laptop for comparison.
    Ok, here are the logs of the laptop.

Starting channels on my laptop is snappy, uncoded channels are live in a second or 2. Stopping a channel is almost instant, within a second or so.

Also from channel to channel is pretty fast. I think 3 to 4 seconds.

One thing that I noticed is that my laptop seems to have LAV 0.69 so an older version.

Edit:

Did this on the actual MePo config now and this solves the issue! When put to 0 starting channels is even faster and stopping is as fast as on my laptop.

I compared the Windows Defender configs of both machines and they are the same. Only in my laptop there is a 'regular' SSD and in my HTCP a very fast M.2 SSD. So I would expect that that is even faster.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    One thing that I noticed is that my laptop seems to have LAV 0.69 so an older version.
    Probably makes no difference. Don't worry about it.

Did this on the actual MePo config now and this solves the issue!
    Great. :)
    This result probably means that some security process is scanning the MPIPTVSource.log file.
    Did you exclude c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal ?

P.S. If you ever have a problem with the IPTV source, you'll have to remember to enable logging again. ;)

When put to 0 starting channels is even faster and stopping is as fast as on my laptop.
    So maybe your laptop could be faster if you set the log level to 0?
    ...and maybe you could still get a little bit faster on both by disabling the unneeded IPTV source plugins (if you didn't already do that). It won't make as much difference as I previously thought (because the real delay was the logging), but still maybe worth a try if you like to optimise. ;)

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you exclude c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal ?
    Yes I did! I even disabled 'Realtime Scanning' so I'm still confused here. Will dig into this the next few days. I will try to completely disable the Windows Defender service.
    P.S. If you ever have a problem with the IPTV source, you'll have to remember to enable logging again.
    I think I will need to re-enable it, because the TV Server has some issues with crashing and not being able to serve a stream after standby. I will investigate this issue and collect logging when I'm ready.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes I did! I even disabled 'Realtime Scanning' so I'm still confused here. Will dig into this the next few days. I will try to completely disable the Windows Defender service.
    :confused:
    Clutching at straws here, but the only other possible explanation I can think of is that the system is throttling down power/CPU.

I think I will need to re-enable it...
    Oki doki.

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @mm1352000 A few months later, I tried several things. I disable any virusscanning in the registry now, and I'm confident that nothing scan the system.

However, the tuning and channel changing stays slow when I have the default logging (3) enabled for the IPTV part (MPIPTVSource.ini) when I put it to 0, it is fast again.

Is there something else I can look into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom