Slow startup for media portal 1.6 (3 Viewers)

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @liteglow I would suggest doing a complete full product cleanup and then delete any left over MP folders etc if there are any, then do a fresh install and fire it up without any plugins to make sure install went ok.

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Same issue. MP1.6 with only 2 active plugins.
    Win 8.1, core i5, 4Go RAM.
    No music or series database.
    It takes 40s to start up, very annoying.
    Think yourself lucky, you should see how long it takes to start up on my ultrabook (Win 8.1, Core i3, 4GB, 128GB SSD, clean install of mepo 1.6), I measure it in minutes not seconds. I plan to try and diagnose it this weekend, so I wasn't going to post about it, but I guess I'll monitor this thread in case there are any generic issues/solutions.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It will be a plugin that is causing the slow loading, either disable them one by one and test or enable debug mode to rule out plugins all together.

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you use Microsoft Security Essentials or defender close it to see if things speed up.
    I have excluded all Mediaportal folder for being scanned.

Look at this tread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-vs-microsoft-security-essentials.124689/#post-1066273
    Windows Defender off and issue solved! :)

Thanks

Hi

I also have MP 1.6 running on Windows 8.1 with SSD, and did experience extremely slow startup of MP. Overall the GUI also responded very slow. After disabling Windows Defender (http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-remove-windows-defender-on-windows-8-1-windows-8) the startup time for MP went from 90 seconds to 5 seconds :O Overall the GUI are now as snappy as expected!

Thanks for providing the solution!

Regards,
    PK

Last edited:

CTHREEPO

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 12, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    If you use Microsoft Security Essentials or defender close it to see if things speed up.
    I have excluded all Mediaportal folder for being scanned.

Look at this tread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-vs-microsoft-security-essentials.124689/#post-1066273

Wow - this worked! No more long loading times. I haven't looked at the thread yet, but having disabled on access scanning within Microsoft Security Essentials, MP now loads so much quicker.

One thing I'd like to add, shouldn't this info be put on the main info page for MP? The issue of having Microsoft Security Essentials running can only hinder the success of MP. Come on guys, think about it.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    you could also try just disabling real time scanning for your TV Server recordings and timeshift folders and the MePo Client Data folders or just logs. My win7 system was running fine with Security Essentials up to 2-3 weeks ago, after Feb msft monthly update I started having major problems. Excluding just the log folder made a lot of difference. See
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-vs-microsoft-security-essentials.124689/

banana

June 3, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Nothing quite like banging your head against the wall for a long period of time and finally having it smash through and stick out the other side. I agree with CTHREEPO, this should be in the main info page.
    It fixed my slow start time, going from about 40 seconds to 5 seconds. I initially just excluded the mediaportal program directory from within windows defender but this didn't work. I then disabled access scanning and this did work. As I want virus scanning I re-enabled the access scan and added the mediaportal process to the excluded process list. This continues to work.
    I have also included the tv record and timeshifting directories to the exclude list but I'm not sure if I need to. The next step is to remove the mediaportal directory from the exclude list and just exclude the log directory.
    This is all for MP1.6 with windows 8.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom