[solved] - MediaPortal 1.22 won't start even with new install

Discussion in 'General Support' started by squidina, May 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. squidina

squidina Portal Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi Guys,

I've had MediaPortal running fine for many years, upgrading each version as and when it came out. I've had it start with Windows, and the family has been super happy with it.

A couple of days ago, I flicked over to the PC and MP wasn't running. No dramas, I rebooted the system and waited, still no friendly MP logo. I tried double-clicking the icon and still nothing. I checked the usual suspects -- mediaporal.xml file, logs, etc. but nothing stood out. I figured I hadn't done a clean install of MP for a while so grabbed 1.22 and proceeded to do a fresh install. Still nothing from either the icon or anywhere else. Both the TV service and MP configurations open fine, just no application.

In desperation I uninstalled it completely, rebooted and re-installed it from fresh. Still the same problem. The configuration tools work, but the application itself doesn't!

I've run Malware Bytes over the machine and run virus checks, but they returned nothing. I have plenty of disk space, memory, etc. so it's not that. I can't see any issues in event logs, and the MP logs look ok to me, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong! Any help anyone can offer to get this back up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -- Stuart

Attached Files:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,057 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    There is no 'MediaPortal.log' in the zip file, so it doesn't look like it's running at all.

If you go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal and double-click on 'MediaPortal.exe', does that run?

(You could also open a Command prompt window in the same folder and type MediaPortal.exe there - that might produce an error message which could tell us something).

Also see this thread - MediaPortal 1.8.0 won't start

• Like Like x 2
  4. squidina

squidina Portal Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Curiouser, and curiouser... I rebooted the machine on a whim today, and MP loaded up fine. I quit out of it and rebooted the machine, and nada. I tried the command prompt, double clicking the desktop icon and double clicking MediaPortal.exe in that directory and still nothing. I can see it's listed in Startup Apps, but this has only worked the once.

On the plus side, I now have a MediaPortal.log file ( attached ), but it doesn't have anything in it that looks wrong, per se ( just a bunch of Titan warnings about things not loading ).

Thanks for the thread, I'd read that and figured I had the same problem, hence the full uninstall and re-install. I figured a completely new xml file may help, but still nothing. I'm thinking a full Win10 rebuild may be required :(

5. squidina

squidina Portal Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Argh... ok found the issue by accident. I have the "no autostart on remote desktop" option selected. Figured I'd try removing that and seeing what happens, and MP loads up no problem now. I've had that setting on for ages, but it seems something has changed which prevents MP from starting at all.

Still, at least the problem is solved now... Thanks for your help :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,057 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I don't know how that option works 'under the hood' in MP, but another user had a recent problem related to Remote Desktop connections (Power Scheduler stopping the PC from sleeping due to an active RDP connection), so maybe something has changed in Windows 10 recently?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!