[SOLVED] MP TV-Series crashes on import due to interference from Antec VFD MediaInfo.DLL (1 Viewer)

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    This weekend, I witnessed some very strange behaviour of MP TV-Series.

All of a sudden, MP decided to stop working when coming out of sleep or starting up (Windows 7 screen pop-up). I tracked this down to MP TV-Series running an import and causing the crash. The log reports it as an "unhandled exception" (enclosed).
    Further investigation showed that the issue occured on specific folders containing specific series (which before never gave a problem) and when files got added to the media folder while MP was running.

When I add a file (episode) to an existing series or add a coplete new folder (series) and run the import out of MP (forced or automatic), MP crashes.
    When I do the same but using the MP TV Series Configurator (while MP is closed), I can import without issue. Afterwards, when I start MP and the importer kicks in, MP doesn't crash. Probably because it doesn't find any new stuff to import.

I haven't been able to determine a root cause for this issue and hope someone else can make something out of the log and put me in the right direction.

All my files are located in a single folder (with subdirs per series) mapped as a network drive (Z:\Series) from a Windows Server 2008R2.
    I'm running MP TV-Series 3.4.2.2018 and MP 1.3.0.0. Final (Titan) on a Windows 7.
    The issue occurs on both the Titan and Default Wide skins.

I already removed MP TV-Series and MP completely and re-installed both products from scratch. That didn't help...

All input is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You already indicate MP-TVSeries might be a problem, yet you did not include any of the log files from other plugins.

When a product works for majority of users (as this one does), then when you have a problem it is usually due to your unique configuration and/or usage. So please provide a ZIP file containing all the log files (just use the build in MePo method for this), and make sure they contain the problem you experienced, so recreate the problem.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    On the other hand:

2013-04-22 09:14:22.469600 [Info.][(42)]: Exception :confused:ystem.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: An exception occurred during the operation, making the result invalid. Check InnerException for exception details. ---> System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'MediaInfo_Option' in DLL 'MediaInfo.dll'.

So verify you have MediaInfo.DLL (32-bit) v0.7.62 inside the MediaPortal root folder. Also you appear to have a VFD display, which sometimes install a registry version of MediaInfo. This overrules a local DLL and if it is an older version can cause interference problems. So be sure to uninstall any such occurence, or at the minimal update that one as well. I've seen users with 5 installations of MediaInfo, and nothing but problems.

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    On the other hand:

2013-04-22 09:14:22.469600 [Info.][(42)]: Exception :confused:ystem.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: An exception occurred during the operation, making the result invalid. Check InnerException for exception details. ---> System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'MediaInfo_Option' in DLL 'MediaInfo.dll'.

So verify you have MediaInfo.DLL (32-bit) v0.7.62 inside the MediaPortal root folder. Also you appear to have a VFD display, which sometimes install a registry version of MediaInfo. This overrules a local DLL and if it is an older version can cause interference problems. So be sure to uninstall any such occurence, or at the minimal update that one as well. I've seen users with 5 installations of MediaInfo, and nothing but problems.

Thanks for your quick response. I completed both requests.
    1. Reproduce the crash and provide full logs (enclosed).
    What I did in this case was - while MP was running - copy 12 additional files into an existing subfolder of my mediafolder (in this case Z:\Series\Boardwalk Empire). After this, I started a manual import (Menu\Import Now) and practically immediately got the crash.

2. Verification of the MediaInfo.dll (see enclosed screenshot).
    I found three (3) DLL's with that name.
    • c:\Program Files\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal => 0.7.61.0
    • c:\windows\system32 => 0.7.33.0
    • c:\Program Files\Antec\VFD => 6.0.1.124
    Not sure how to know if they are registered or not. Any ideas on the next step?

Greetings,

Peter

Attachments

• MediaInfo.dll.jpg
      MediaInfo.dll.jpg
      67.9 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Based on previous experience it is that Antec one that is causing the crashes. See if there is way to 'uninstall' it via control panel. Helped somebody on forum with that before, so you might be able to find the thread via search.

The 'system32' version (assuming it is the same 32-bit version that MePo needs/uses) and the MediaPortal one you can just manually update with: http://mediaarea.net/download/binar...o_DLL_0.7.62_Windows_i386_WithoutInstaller.7z

The local version in MePo folder takes presendence over the system32 version, so that is not the one causing a problem (unless it was badly installed with registry overrule values).

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    If you can not find a way to uninstall the MediaInfo that Antec uses by itself, then you can do it manually.

From elevated command prompt: regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Antec\VFD\mediainfo.dll"

Which should fix it for you, if not scan registry for "mediainfo.dll", as it is not a string that exists, even with MediaPortal installed.

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Based on previous experience it is that Antec one that is causing the crashes. See if there is way to 'uninstall' it via control panel. Helped somebody on forum with that before, so you might be able to find the thread via search.

The 'system32' version (assuming it is the same 32-bit version that MePo needs/uses) and the MediaPortal one you can just manually update with: http://mediaarea.net/download/binar...o_DLL_0.7.62_Windows_i386_WithoutInstaller.7z

The local version in MePo folder takes presendence over the system32 version, so that is not the one causing a problem (unless it was badly installed with registry overrule values).

OK. Thanks a lot. I will try this later today or tomorrow.
    Let's hope it fixes the issue...

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    On the other hand:

Yipee! The problem seems to have been fixed.

As said, I found three (3) DLL's called "MediaInfo.dll"
    • c:\Program Files\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal => 0.7.61.0
    • c:\windows\system32 => 0.7.33.0
    • c:\Program Files\Antec\VFD => 6.0.1.124
    The only MediaInfo.dll actually registered (checked via regdllview) was the Antec one.
    I unregistered the dll using regsrv32 /u and performed another test.
    No more crashes from MP when running the importer on newly added files.
    I haven't updated to DLL to 0.7.62.0 yet but don't think it will have significant impact on the correct functioning.

Still bugs me what triggered this. AFAIK, the Antec DLL had been happily registered on my MP since I installed it (2010).
    It was only since this weekend that I was getting issues. Suppose MePo had been using the correct DLL up till then but somehow started using the Antec one instead? Strange...

Anyway, RoChess, thanks a million for pointing me in the right direction and providing the solution.

Grtz,

Peter

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @Pletskop, glad it worked. As for version, MediaInfo fixes bugs left and right, but the majority are bugs that usually have nothing to do with what you need. They have a nice changelog that tells you exactly what they fixed. So in the future you might end up with a mediafile that does need a new version of MediaInfo.

@schwarzrz, did your problem get fixed as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom