SOLVED VC-1 issues (VC1) (1 Viewer)

domb

Portal Pro
October 30, 2006
I am having major problems with VC-1. Let me explain.

I have Blu-ray rips wrapped as MKV. Now these work fine with the Microsoft decoder in Windows 7 64 bit. Some of the videos are interlaced and some are progressive but they all play perfectly.

I also use the Blu-ray handler plug-in. When playing VC-1 Blu-ray's using the Microsoft decoder but I only get half the frame rate. This is very annoying!

If I play Blu-rays using the ffdshow DXVA codec then they play perfectly, but then I can't play my interlaced VC-1 mkv files!

My question is basically this...

With which codec can I play interlaced and progressive VC-1 encoded files, from MKV's or Blu-ray discs. I don't care if its DXVA (Q6600 @ 3ghz so no problems there).

The ffdshow software decoder just crashes WMP or MediaPortal (libavcodec or the DMO wrapper)

SOLVED

Install additional VC-1 tweaker filter by Sebastii and use Cyberlink PowerDVD codec (v10) for smooth playback of VC-1i/p using the Blu-ray handler

Gabest MPEG splitter to PDVD10 filter
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/.../vc-1-issues-vc1-91402/index9.html#post719739

Blu-ray Handler for latest Gabest MPEG Splitter
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...dler-0-9-7-beta-81068/index40.html#post711712

domb

Portal Pro
October 30, 2006
Re: VC-1 issues (VC1)

I've seen that before but I'm fairly sure it doesn't apply to MKV and Windows 7. The article refers to m2ts and XP SP3/VMR9. I already have Power DVD 9 and never been able to get it decoding VC-1 from MKV.

Maybe i'll have another look into it. Any more ideas?

domb

Portal Pro
October 30, 2006

Just an update on this... I cannot get DXVA running or smooth playback from VC1 encoded Blu-ray discs at all except with the ffdshow DXVA codec. This is fine except it means I cannot play my interlaced VC-1 files.

Anybody else got this issue? I either get half frame rates with any codec (ArcSoft, CyberLink, Microsoft DMO) or smooth playback with ffdshow DXVA.

I've just thought of a solution involving Gabests Source Splitter and VC1Tweaker so I'll get back when I can get another DS Source Filter but this will still only allow me to play progressive video from Blu-ray...

BTW I'm using an ATI HD4850 512MB, Q6600 @ 3Ghz and 4GB RAM @ 1Ghz.

I can't see speed being an issue.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

Microsoft DMO doesn't support DXVA with some type of VGA, don't remember right now with which one exactly.

See the problem is within Media Foundation and windows 7. I am currently conducting some tests with windows 7.

In windows XP u can disable the Microsoft DMO codec but in 7 you just cannot completely remove it. The way 7 handles video is different. For interlaced VC-1 the Gabest splitter will output the GUID 31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71 which is the official VC-1 media type as defined by Microsoft so as a result Microsoft DMO codec kicks in. In XP by disabling Microsoft DMO codec windows will use the one that you are forcing in Media Portal (in my case the PDVD9 codec) which will handle the GUID 31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71 perfectly but in 7 this is not the case since Microsoft DMO will always kick in. Now there is a way around it. By using a different source splitter.

LAVFSplitter will output 1st the GUID D979F77B-DBEA-4BF6-9E6D-1D7E57FBAD53 and this GUID is the one Cyberlink is using for VC-1 so Microsoft DMO will not kick in BUT as of now LAVFSplitter is not stable enough and has lots of bugs so there are lots of stutter and dropped frames.

I am currently trying to find a way to completely disable the Microsoft Codec in 7 and try to force .m2ts files with VC-1i to use the PDVD codecs with the Gabest splitter.

If you have any more info regarding this issue please do post it here.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

You disable microsoft DMO by renaming one of the files. I can't remember which one but I'll look it up and get back to you. PowerDVDs codecs still playback at half frame rate with VC1 using gabests source filter. I've used graphstudio to make sure they are being used...

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

You can use the powerdvd 9/10 codec for full dxva acceleration of interlaced vc-1. It will connect to haali media splitter ok but the problem is it will only connect to the EVR if your graphics card supports full bitstream dxva mode. I have an ATI 5870 and it works really well.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

PowerDVDs codecs still playback at half frame rate with VC1 using gabests source filter. I've used graphstudio to make sure they are being used...

Which version of PDVD codecs? And are you using DXVA? If no then try with DXVA on.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

Tried PowerDVD 9 and 10. Its only slow with direct playback from Blu-ray discs within MediaPortal. As far as I know DXVA is on. Strangely though in the filter settings for PowerDVD 10 if you switch to DXVA it switches straight back again. Either way, neither of them play back in MediaPortal at more than half frame rate. This is with PROGRESSIVE AND interlaced material.

My MKV files are not a problem. The problem is with playing back Blu-rays in MediaPortal with the Blu-ray handler plug-in. DXVA works with ffdshow but using this settings means my interlaced VC1 mkvs do not play at all.

Using Catalyst drivers 10.12 (latest).

I've tried uninstalling all codecs and addng/trying them one by one but makes no difference.

Maybe this will help...

ffshow DXVA
    MKV interlaced - no playback
    MKV progressive - playback OK
    Blu-ray interlaced - no playback
    Blu-ray progressive - playback OK

PowerDVD 9/10
    MKV interlaced - playback SLOW
    Blu-ray interlaced - playback SLOW
    Blu-ray progressive - playback SLOW

ArcSoft
    MKV interlaced - playback SLOW
    MKV progressive - playback OK but stutters after time (have to stop file and resume)

Microsoft DMO
    MKV interlaced - playback OK

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

How do you obtain the PDVD codecs?

I would suggest using HD Pack 2.3 (google it).

Remove any other codecs you may have and only install PDVD9 from the pack.

BTW did you manage to load the PDVD9 codec within MediaPortal under 7? If yes then how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom