SOLVED VC-1 issues (VC1) (2 Viewers)

domb

Portal Pro
October 30, 2006
Re: VC-1 issues (VC1)

Used HD pack 2.6. Also tried HD pack 2.2. No difference. I used VC1 tweak to load the Cyberlink decoder. See here...

Microsoft VC-1 decoder on XP: No bitstream / VLD decoding possible ? - Doom9's Forum

Under Windows 7 64 bit you have to change the installer to install and register the codec to SysWOW64.

Fairly sure I got PowerDVD9 codecs working anyway. I definitely got 10 working.

I think the problem is basically DXVA just plain doesn't work under anything except FFDSHOW DXVA or Microsoft DMO. Playing back using Gabest Source Filter and Microsoft DMO is known to be slow I think. But I get the exact same results with Cyberlink and Arcsoft.

If only ffdshow DXVA could handle interlaced VC-1 all my problems would be solved...

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

Now i see :)

VC1 tweak is your issue, they are not working properly.

Try ur setup with MPC-HC and add PDVD9 as preferred codec and add to it the VC-1 media subtype. Remove the VC-Loader tweak.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

How does this help with MediaPortal?

You reckon that will stop the jumping from Gabests SOurce filter in MediaPortal?

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

It wont help within MP it will just show you that VC-1 tweak is the reason you have half the framerate.

I start to believe that Media Portal itself handles the graph building in a different way on 7 compared to XP.

Under XP i only have to set PDVD9 merit high and DMO merit low. And set PDVD as my H.264 codec under MP.

This way MP will load the video by forcing the use of PDVD9, under 7 this trick does not work anymore.

I am running out of ideas.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

Correct, me too. I think you're right about VC-1 tweak because for some reason it stops DXVA working but it does force Windows 7 to use the correct codec which is a good thing.

Setting the H.264 codec in MediaPortal doesn't seem to have any real effect on whats used for VC-1 decoding. The VC-1 tweak would actually be a perfect solution if it actually used DXVA.

I wonder if there is a way to achieve this. If not, why is Microsoft DMO decoding so slow from Gabests Source filter? It works fine with everything else.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

for me id love to get the blue rayhandler plugin working but its forced to use gabests splitter (supports seamless branching of .m2ts files but no support for VC-1)

whereas haali works fine for VC-1 files but has no support for seamless branching

BAH! lol...

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

for me id love to get the blue rayhandler plugin working but its forced to use gabests splitter (supports seamless branching of .m2ts files but no support for VC-1)

whereas haali works fine for VC-1 files but has no support for seamless branching

BAH! lol...

I'm not sure why you think VC-1 isn't supported with gabests splitter? It works fine for me on progressive VC-1 material with the ffdshow DXVA codec? The problem I'm having is that ffdshow DXVA does not support interlaced VC-1 decoding.

Using gabests splitter with the Microsoft DMO decoder also works but only decodes at around half the frame rate.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Have you tried the Arcsoft decoder? I seem to remember I had that working quite nicely with Gabest's splitter (although without dxva I think). It worked with both interlaced and progressive VC1. I think it was the version from HDPack 2.3

Edit: Try a few different versions of Gabest's splitter as well. The latest might not be the best

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

Tried Arcsoft decoder from HD Pack 2.6 and get the same result. Half frame rate. Also with my MKV's it works but after a few minutes it starts to judder and lose sync? This doesn't happen with Microsoft DMO.

I'm beginning to think its a problem with the Catalyst 10.12 drivers.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Microsoft DMO doesn't support DXVA with some type of VGA, don't remember right now with which one exactly.

See the problem is within Media Foundation and windows 7. I am currently conducting some tests with windows 7.

In windows XP u can disable the Microsoft DMO codec but in 7 you just cannot completely remove it. The way 7 handles video is different. For interlaced VC-1 the Gabest splitter will output the GUID 31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71 which is the official VC-1 media type as defined by Microsoft so as a result Microsoft DMO codec kicks in. In XP by disabling Microsoft DMO codec windows will use the one that you are forcing in Media Portal (in my case the PDVD9 codec) which will handle the GUID 31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71 perfectly but in 7 this is not the case since Microsoft DMO will always kick in. Now there is a way around it. By using a different source splitter.

LAVFSplitter will output 1st the GUID D979F77B-DBEA-4BF6-9E6D-1D7E57FBAD53 and this GUID is the one Cyberlink is using for VC-1 so Microsoft DMO will not kick in BUT as of now LAVFSplitter is not stable enough and has lots of bugs so there are lots of stutter and dropped frames.

I am currently trying to find a way to completely disable the Microsoft Codec in 7 and try to force .m2ts files with VC-1i to use the PDVD codecs with the Gabest splitter.

If you have any more info regarding this issue please do post it here.

Interesting discussion going on here, since i've been trying to get the PDVD codecs to work (for weeks now...) like i want inside Mepo. MPEG2/AVC isn't a problem, that runs smoothly, it's just VC-1 indeed that is giving loads of problems.

Yesterday i managed to get the PDVD10 codec working in MPC-HC (set as prefered and added GUID as Media Subtype) and while playing a VC-1 .m2ts i was having CPU loads under/around 10% (E8400), so that looked promising.
    A few minutes later i managed to create a perfect graph in GraphStudio with Gabest Splitter & PDVD10 Video Decoder and also loads <10%.

So.... i have Gabest & PDVD10 combo working inside MPC-HC, i have that combo working in GraphStudio perfectly, but.... inside MediaPortal it just doesn't use the PDVD10 codec (probably because of the missing GUID).

Also tried AVSplitter, but then the video just doesn't start :(

** EDIT **

0.13 - 2011/01/29
    LAVFSplitter
    - Added support for demuxing BluRay LPCM tracks into the MPC-HC format
    - Added a new LAVFSplitter specific media type to all audio streams
    LAVCAudio
    - First version of LAVCAudio implemented!

No more static noise on some TrueHD/LPCM tracks :D

Still a few Blu-rays run around 18fps instead of 24fps, resulting in a lot of dropped frames. No DXVA for LAVFSplitter + PDVD10 Video Decoder as far as i've tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom