sometimes MP starts in a squished square window instead of fullscreen (1 Viewer)

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i've just reinstalled my media centre from scratch, having bought a new SSD for it, as well as there having been a few glitches on the previous installation. so this is a clean install of windows 7 x64, with the latest MP (and streamed MP skin and saf 6 codecs), and updated drivers, and almost zero additional software.

sometimes when starting mediaportal, the splash screen appears in fullscreen as expected, but then when the home screen appears, it shrinks to occupy a square on the screen, with everything squished and weird. exiting MP and starting it again has so far fixed this problem every time.

it doesn't do this every time but it has been happening fairly frequently. this never happened on the previous installation of windows, on the old mechanical HD, although i concede that the nvidia graphics drivers have had quite a substantial update with the new installation.

i have attached a screenshot demonstrating what this looks like.

MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
CPU Type: Athlon 64 X2 3800+
HDD: SanDisk SSD 120gb, HighPoint 640 Raid controller with 4x WD drives in Raid5
Memory: Corsair
Motherboard: ASUS P5G41-M-LX2/GB
Video Card: NVidia Geforce 210
Video Card Driver: 301.42
Sound Card: Realtek AC97
Sound Card Driver: R248
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Power Supply: Seasonic
Remote: Maplin
TV: Panasonic TH-37PW4
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA D-Sub

Attachments

• scrn.png
    scrn.png
    952.1 KB

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi Statick, what do you mean with starting mediaportal? You mean wake up the pc from standby? If this is the case, then this happens because the graphic card does not detect the monitor on startup and sets the default resolution. Then after a certain time, he detects the monitor and sets the rights resolution, but mepo doesn't detect the new one.
What you can do is, make a connection via teamviewer to the mepo-pc, then turn off the monitor or pull the cable out. You should see a resolution change in teamviewer. Now take a look at the screen resolution and set it back to 1920x1080. Or the resolution you are using. Then reconnect tv and see whats happen.
This should solve your problem. You can also take a look at this tread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/windows-7-half-fullscreen.71785/

Last edited:

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
Hey thanks, but no it's not that. The system is awake and I'm looking at the windows desktop. I then open media portal, the splash screen appears correctly at full screen, and goes through the usual "loading window plugins" etc that it does, and everything looks normal. It is only when it reaches the home screen that this happen.

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hmm, strange. What happens if you push alt-enter to change to windows mode and then again alt-enter to go to fullscreen? Did you change the resolution settings in mepo?
Maybe you can put some clear logs here. Delete the old ones and start mepo, than upload the logs. Perhaps we could see something in there.

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
i will get the logs soon.

today i started up and had this message "switching to the reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly". i clicked OK and then another message :

"Warning: Nothing wil be rendered. The reference rendering device was selected, but your computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device installed. Please check if your graphics card and drivers meet the minimum system requirements. a software device that implements the entire direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly."

then the various loading stages continued, until the home screen should have appeared and instead i just saw the windows desktop again - except that as i moved the mouse around, it disappeared when i moved it into the area occupied by MP in the screenshot posted above, suggesting MP had decided to go into a funny squished shape, but had remained invisible.

closed MP in the task manager, restarted it, and everything is fine. this is really weird.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please start MP in debug mode (Start Menu). This will:
    1. Run MP without plugins / fancy skin to see where the error is
    2. Provide detail MP logs (debug grade)
    3. Gather DirectX debug information so to see if your system is OK

Post the resulting ZIP file here (see instructions in my footer if needed).

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    well, i've spent the last month trying to capture logs of this strange issue. prior to trying to capture logs, this happened a good 10-15 times in the space of a week or so. since i first ran MP in debug mode, it's not done it since. not once, either in debug or normal mode.

so the issue appears to have resolved itself, although it's annoying that we can't find out what caused it. if it happens again, i'll try to capture logs again!

antibios

Portal Member
    December 10, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I seem to have this happen anytime aero is disabled or my display setting in win 7 is set to medium or large instead of small

Last edited:

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    this has still been happening. seems to happen every time i start MP after turning on my TV. i have to exit MP then restart it, and it's OK again. i know the TV does "disconnect" itself from the PC when i turn it off (i hear the PC make the "hardware disconnected" sound when it's turned off, and "new hardware connected" when it's turned on), and i also know that when it's turned off the PC reverts to a different resolution (if i connect VNC the window changes size when the TV is turned off).

so i thought maybe it needed more time after turning on the TV before starting MP, to ensure that it "sees" the correct resolution, but even if i wait several minutes it still does it.

i've attached logs captured today, hopefully something will show up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom