[no Bug] Sound but no picture in tv server setup tv channel preview (1 Viewer)

tom78

Portal Pro
August 10, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 RC
MediaPortal Skin: Standard
Windows Version: Windows 7 x86 SP 1
CPU Type: AMD Athlon II X2 235e (2x 2,7GHz)
HDD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB + WD20EARS
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333 Dual Channel
Motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-V USB3
Video Card: ATI HD 4350
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 11.8
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: TT Budget 1401 S
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC 10 B
Cooling: Boxed
Power Supply: BeQuiet Pure Power 300
Remote: Logitech Harmony 300 & RC6-Receiver
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

Hello.

after a fresh tv channel scan i checked the new oney via the preview function within tv-server setup.
there i noticed that none of my existing channels have a picture within the preview window.
signal strength is ok and i hear the sound, but no picture appears.
within MP everything works fine.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi tom78

This is a codec issue. Preview doesn't use the same codecs as MediaPortal. This is because MediaPortal may not be installed on the same PC as TV Server. Instead, TV Server uses the codecs with the highest "merit" in the system that claim to support the audio and video formats in the stream. Clearly the video codec with the highest merit on your TV Server is not able to decode the video for your channels. Use filmerit or similar to manage the merits of the installed codecs in such a way that a video codec that can decode the streams has the highest merit.

mm

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    I have the same problem with preview, no video - only sound...

I have "AMD Media Codec Package" installed (to be able to use a software encoder for my TV card), along with SAF6 (unlocked).
    I can watch TV without any problems inside MP.

I think that somehow "TV Server Configuration" doesn't obey the same codec settings as defined in MP Configuration...

Because of this problem, it is a pain in the *** to name channels in "TV Server Configuration".
    It would be nice to be able to change channel names inside MP!!!

tom78

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Sound but no picture in tv server setup tv channel preview

Ok, thanks, then this seems to be a bug of SAF, because i only have installed SAF 5.02 unlocked on my single-seat-installation.

RoMan_P

Portal Pro
    February 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I'm the opposite.
    SAF has previously been 5.01 - video in channel preview ок.
    Installed the 5.02 - no video, only sound.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think that somehow "TV Server Configuration" doesn't obey the same codec settings as defined in MP Configuration...
    I did confirm that, and I also gave the reason: TV Server might not be installed on the same computer as MediaPortal.

If you want to fix this (I quote myself):

Use filmerit or similar to manage the merits of the installed codecs in such a way that a video [and audio] codec that can decode the streams has the highest merit.

mm

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    First of all :D for your time.

I did confirm that, and I also gave the reason: TV Server might not be installed on the same computer as MediaPortal.
    But they are installed on the same computer.
    If you want to fix this (I quote myself):

Use filmerit or similar to manage the merits of the installed codecs in such a way that a video [and audio] codec that can decode the streams has the highest merit.

mm
    I tried several combinations with Filmerit but I was unable to fix this issue.
    In this case (which I normally don't), I need a detailed play-by-play things to do. :D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But they are installed on the same computer.
    I quote myself again:

TV Server might not be installed on the same computer...
    The fact that MP is not always installed means that we can't rely on this method of getting codec preferences. I think it would be worse if we used MP configuration when MP is installed and codec merits when MP is not installed - consistency is better in my opinion.

I tried several combinations with Filmerit but I was unable to fix this issue.
    In this case (which I normally don't), I need a detailed play-by-play things to do. :D
    Did you restart PC or TV Server configuration? This may be required. In any case, I don't know what kind of channels you're trying to preview (h.264 or MPEG 2 video, MPEG or AAC or AC3 audio etc.), I don't know what codecs you have installed, and I don't know what codecs you're using in MP. I haven't got any chance of giving you step by step instructions or recommendations. ;)

mm

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    Sorry, I missed the "might" part and assumed that you were asking how my installation was like...

I restarted the PC when doing the changes (if I recall correctly) but that didn't help it.
    I'm using analog cable tv using AMD Media Codec Pack since my tv card needs a software encoder.

Anyway, even if mediaportal client & tv server might or might not be on the same machine, I think that the team could easily add a codec selection section in the tv server configuration to be used ONLY for previewing the channels in tv server configuration application. Just my 5 cents... ;)

Makaveli

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have the same problem; no picture, but i have sound.
    Just installed MediaPortal 1.2.1 and SAF 6.0, but with 1.2 beta and SAF 5.0 I had the same problems. Unfortunately I cannot change the merits in Filmerit. I get this error:
    "Impossible to change the merit"
    I'm not in read-only mode when doing this.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom