Sound coming through a DVI-DVI cable!!?? (1 Viewer)

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,
    I think I may have an interesting problem:)

I have MP1.0.2 in my HTPC that has been working quite happily through my Gigabyte 7300GT 256M PCIe Graphics card connected via DVI-DVI to my 32" LCD TV. Sound is through SPDIF from the HTPC Motherboard to the Yamaha AV Amplifier (not through the TV).

I was getting minor, but irrtating, 'rainbow' patterns on the display, so I thought I'd upgrade to an ASUS EN9600GT Magic 512MB card to see if that improved it.

So I did a simple swapover, installed the new drivers etc and it seems to work much better. EXCEPT I now get crackles, hiss and whirring noises through the TV speakers!! The noises vary, different from each stereo speaker (L+R), and are sort of related to whats happening on the main audio system, but aren't recognisable as proper sounds.

Now I thought DVI did not carry audio, so I have no idea how this is happening. The only other connection to the TV is a normal TV antenna and an analogue AV phono connection from another device not related to the HTPC.

Any thoughts as to what this could be? Is there a way of turning off the sound in the graphics card (in case it's some kind of breakthrough on the card)?

Cheers
    ...Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Owlsroost. I'll play with the suggestions in that thread over the weekend.

Yes, the TV volume control affects the volume of the noises.

Cheers
    ...Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Take a look at How do I get rid of HDMI audio? - NVIDIA Forums (fifth post down).
    Might sound like a silly question, bu do the noises disappear if the TV sound volume is at zero ?
    Tony
    Hi all,
    None of thos suggestions worked (or they were not applicable as I'm on XP, not Vista and don't have Realtec card - it''s ASUS)
    So I've rebuilt the C drive from scratch - complete reinstall of XP and MP. Darn it - still have the exact same problem. Crackles, wheeze, pops and squeaks from the TV sound.
    I haven't connected the onboard SPDIF connector as my motherboard doesn't seem to have a wired SPDIF connector on it, so I can't see how the sound (if thats whats happening) is getting to the video card and out the DVI.
    Help!
    Cheers
    ...Steve

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In the nVidia control panel -> Video & Television -> 'Change the signal or HD format' section, does the TV show up as an HDMI or DVI connected TV ?

Does your TV actually support sound over DVI ?

The other possibility I guess is that the TV is somehow picking up interference from the new card - have you tried a different DVI cable ?

Tony

felo

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2007
    In Hell.
    Home Country
    Hi!
    How are you exporting the audio from the PC?
    Did you conect the audio inside the PC to the graphic card?
    Sorry if im lost, maybe did not understood the question.
    In order to get audio outside the PC trough a HDMI you need to make a internal conection from your audio to your Graphic card.

Cheers!

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Owlrooster and felo

Owlrooster -
    "In the nVidia control panel -> Video & Television -> 'Change the signal or HD format' section, does the TV show up as an HDMI or DVI connected TV ?"
    It shows as HDMI - thats the only option available in the dropdown menu.

"Does your TV actually support sound over DVI ?"
    No idea - nothing in the manual about it. Diagrams show DVI and seperate audio when connecting to.

"The other possibility I guess is that the TV is somehow picking up interference from the new card - have you tried a different DVI cable ?"
    Hmmm - OK will try if nothing else fixes, as I'll have to buy a new cable.

Felo -
    "How are you exporting the audio from the PC?"
    Audio is PC via SPDIF to amplifier, then direct from the Amplifier to the 5.1 speakers. Audio not connected on TV.

Did you conect the audio inside the PC to the graphic card?
    No - my mobo doesn't seem to have an SPDIF wired connector.

In order to get audio outside the PC trough a HDMI you need to make a internal conection from your audio to your Graphic card.
    Actually, I don't want sound to the TV itself - thats the problem:)

Thanks folks - any other thoughts??:)

Cheers
    ...Steve

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Owlrooster and felo
    Owlsroost -
    "In the nVidia control panel -> Video & Television -> 'Change the signal or HD format' section, does the TV show up as an HDMI or DVI connected TV ?"
    It shows as HDMI - thats the only option available in the dropdown menu.
    "Does your TV actually support sound over DVI ?"
    No idea - nothing in the manual about it. Diagrams show DVI and seperate audio when connecting to.
    Cheers
    ...Steve

OK - if it's showing as HDMI then the TV may be indicating it can accept audio over DVI.

Download and run 'Monitor Asset Manager' from EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager - this reads and decodes the EDID data from the TV - please copy and post the info from the 'Asset Infromation' pane. Somewhere in this info should be info about the audio capability - if the TV supports it.

Which nVidia driver version are you running ?

Tony

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Owlsroost,
    Nice work!
    Attached is the file from the monitor asset software software. I don't really understand it, but it seems that it can support audi through the DVI.
    CAn you interpret and advice anything else from it?
    Cheers
    ...Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom