Sound coming through a DVI-DVI cable!!?? (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes - this line in the attachment.....

"CE audio data (formats supported)
    LPCM 2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48 kHz"

....means the TV does support audio via DVI i.e. it's basically an HDMI input on a DVI connector. So the nVidia drivers will be feeding audio to the TV (but it's junk because there's nothing connected to the SPDIF input on the card).

So a few choices I can think of:

1. Just mute the sound on the TV :)

2. Check the TV setup menus to see if there are any DVI sound input options.

3. Try shorting out the SPDIF input on the video card (never tried this, so it's your risk).

4. It is possible to overide the EDID data via the nVidia registry entries, so it fools it into thinking the TV is a DVI monitor with no audio capability - let me know if you want to try this and I'll try and explain how to do it...the downside is that you might lose some of the display resolutions/refresh options.

Tony

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Owlsroost.
    Option 1 is a bit incovenient - and could be a challenge to her indoors (who hates the whole media centre thing - heard that before???)
    Option 2 - nothing obvious
    Option 3 - hmmm last resort -don't wanna blow up the card
    Option 4 - yes - if you wouldn't mind helping me with that one - hopefully could do the trick.

Cheers
    ...Steve

felo

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2007
    In Hell.
    Home Country
    Hi!
    I really dig in to it, and yes you board does not have the tipical SPDIF internal (2-3 pins), just the Front panel and a HD audio Link.
    Some other people are reporting the same as you whit HDMI sound (it crack!), but no solution so far.
    Ill keep looking and if find any solution, ill post about it.

Cheers!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    OK, I'll dig out the info for Option 4 later (need some files from the HTPC).
    Tony

The general proceedure for what you need to do is described here - [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - NVIDIA EDID fix for "bugged" Westinghouse LVM-37w3se - but don't use the 'OverrideEdidFlags' reg key listed there, it won't work, use the one below.

The specifc 'OverrideEdidFlags0' registry key data for your TV (derived from the moninfo.txt file) should be:
    --------------------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{**put your GUID here**}\0000]
    "OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:25,C4,30,32,00,00,ff,ff,04,00,00,00,7e,02,00,15
    ---------------------------------------------

(Attached as text file - edit in Notepad to add your GUID and save as a .reg file)

Reboot and hopefully the TV will now show up in the nVidia control panel as a 'DVI connected TV' (and there won't be any sound via the DVI connection). As I said before, this may have side effects but at least it might prove that the DVI/HDMI audio is the cause of the problem....

(To remove the EDID overide just delete the reg key and reboot.)

Tony

Attachments

• KreisenTV_EDID_overide.txt
      30.7 KB

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Owlsroost.
    Probably won't get a chance to try this till next week - will advise as soon as I've tried it.
    Cheers
    ...Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK, I'll dig out the info for Option 4 later (need some files from the HTPC).
    Tony

The general proceedure for what you need to do is described here - [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - NVIDIA EDID fix for "bugged" Westinghouse LVM-37w3se - but don't use the 'OverrideEdidFlags' reg key listed there, it won't work, use the one below.

The specifc 'OverrideEdidFlags0' registry key data for your TV (derived from the moninfo.txt file) should be:
    --------------------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{**put your GUID here**}\0000]
    "OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:25,C4,30,32,00,00,ff,ff,04,00,00,00,7e,02,00,15
    ---------------------------------------------

(Attached as text file - edit in Notepad to add your GUID and save as a .reg file)

Reboot and hopefully the TV will now show up in the nVidia control panel as a 'DVI connected TV' (and there won't be any sound via the DVI connection). As I said before, this may have side effects but at least it might prove that the DVI/HDMI audio is the cause of the problem....

(To remove the EDID overide just delete the reg key and reboot.)

Tony

Hi Owlsroost,
    Finally got time to try this out.

Firstly, I changed the cable for a new high grade DVI cable. Problem unchanged, so that the cable eliminated:)

I followed the instructions on the hardforum.com posting, but I couldn't find the right reg entries:
    nosubdirs.JPG

The only place I could find "edid" (which kinda looked like the right string, but not quite!) was here:
    edid%20found%20here.JPG

I realise this should probably go on the hardforum.com thread, but it could be useful to mediaportal readers - hope thats OK moderators:D

Cheers
    ...Steve

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The reg branch in your first screen grab is almost the right place, but it should be the 'CurrentControlSet' instead of 'ControlSet001' branch - otherwise, it has all the '_3Dmark03....' etc entries so it looks like it's the nVidia driver key area. There probably won't be any 'edid' related entries there - that's what we're adding....

I've not tried this with the latest 185.xx drivers, so the reg key layout may be a bit different - I currently use 181.22 drivers.

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think the file format for my original EDID override text file is incorrect (Unix rather than DOS...) so a corrected version is attached.

If the first file works OK but the side effects (loss of resolutions etc) are a problem, try the attached 'KreisenTV_EDID_overide_2.txt' instead - this attempts to just override the audio related entries in the EDID, but this is the first time I've attempted to do this so it might not work...

Tony

Attachments

• KreisenTV_EDID_overide_2.txt
      30.7 KB
    • KreisenTV_EDID_overide.txt
      30.7 KB

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The reg branch in your first screen grab is almost the right place, but it should be the 'CurrentControlSet' instead of 'ControlSet001' branch - otherwise, it has all the '_3Dmark03....' etc entries so it looks like it's the nVidia driver key area. There probably won't be any 'edid' related entries there - that's what we're adding....

I've not tried this with the latest 185.xx drivers, so the reg key layout may be a bit different - I currently use 181.22 drivers.

Tony

Opps -sorry about that. Here's the correct screencapture - still can't see the sub-folders referred to in the instructions.

Thanks again for your help - it's great to know someone is listening:D

Cheers
    ...Steve
    nosubdir2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom