Sound Quality solution? (1 Viewer)

pjuegos

Portal Pro
April 28, 2011
thanks for your reply.

ASIO drivers do not work with my Musiland MD-10 DAC. So, no option to use PureAudio in MP.
The other options for this DAC are WASAPI and Kernel Streaming, which is the way to go using other music players such Foobar, winamp and mediamonkey. However, MP is not compatible to those audio interfaces

Thanks!!

wagenveld

Portal Pro
June 14, 2008
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
I would suggest using the optical input on your DAC in that case. Only if your onboard sound has optical out and supports 44.1KHz (most modern chips do). That way you can use the ASIO driver and get a bitperfect stream to your DAC. If you want to stick with USB you'll have to use DirectSound.

pjuegos

Portal Pro
April 28, 2011
hi again wagenveld

Yes, my onboard soundcard has SPDIF optical out and supports 44.1KHz .
However, it does not seem to work either. I have pureaudio configured to use ASIO4ALL, which selects the onboard soundcard.
When I play a file in MP, I get the aSIO4ALL icon in the task bar.However, there is no sound in the output.

Am i missing something?

cheers

pjuegos

Portal Pro
April 28, 2011
yes, realtek high defintion audio, which is the digital optical output

Something I dont fully understand is why a device that is not ASIO compatible connected to the PC by USB, is compatible using the optical digital output

cheers

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
You can get decent sound out of a windows pc. Search this forum for "bit perfect"

Asio4all will give many (most????) soundcards a fair chance of bypassing windows habit of resampling your audio - when it works properly it will sound very good and you pc volume control will be bypassed - this is a good sign.

As suggested previously use foobar as a test setup. Get Asio4all providing asio interface for it working. You might have to mess about with lots of settings to get sound working from foobar to asio4all (e.g. various buffer sizes, latancy settings, wordwidth) but eventually sound will probably come out. A possible problem with onbard realtek type MB sound is they tend to be stuck at one bitrate. (can be driver version specific) so you might find it works at say 44.1 but then nothing happens when you squirt 48k audio at it.

Once foobar/asio4all works then try configuring pureaudio plugin and setting it to use asio4all. Ive had little success with the MP Music player ASIO o/p direct and you also have to make sure that the music player does not mess with you audio (e.g. fading in /out etc nneds to be disabled and also gain of Music player audio needs to be 100% else any format with encrypted audio will get messed up and will sound like white noise - volume on amp set low to avoid damage to speakers)

Persevere and you can get it to work. You are correct about non asio sound being low quality from a PC.

If all else fails there are cheap <£10 audio cards which will give you an spdif out and work well with asio4all.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom