Special characters shown with system font (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'll try and look into it one of these days. Unfortunately XBMC uses C++ and a totally re-writte font-system, so it won't be easy.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This sux for StreamedMP facades where we use CAPS for fonts...it really stands out. Also an issue with fadelabel scrolling and recently I suspect this is the reason why I see textbox scrolling go beyond the boundaries defined.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I'll try and look into it one of these days. Unfortunately XBMC uses C++ and a totally re-writte font-system, so it won't be easy.

C++ is not a problem. Real problem is that fixing the issue properly would require a complete re-write of the font handling in MediaPortal. If you can read C# you can read the C++ as well. Writing might C++ be different :p In any case if someone starts to re-write the font handling it should be designed well before jumping into the action.

One good area to be studied is DirectWrite (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd368038(v=vs.85).aspx). Of course this would mean dropping support for Windows XP (== it could use the old existing engine).

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Could the problem be in FontEngine.dll? I don't see any of the important code in either GUIFont og GUIFontManager.

Anyways, in GUIFont there is an out of bound check, how can I get this to log the char which is too high?

If I do this, the log just writes out the character, not it's char number:

Code:
        public bool containsOutOfBoundsChar(string text)
        {
          for (int i = 0; i < text.Length; ++i)
          {
            char c = text[i];
            if ((c < _StartCharacter || c >= _EndCharacter) && c != '\n')
            {
            Log.Info("containsOutOfBoundsChar:" + c);
              return true;
            }
          }
          return false;
        }

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    XBMC font-code has this interesting part;

Code:
     219 // remaps unsupported font glpyhs to other suitable ones
     220 wchar_t CGUIFont::RemapGlyph(wchar_t letter)
     221 {
     222   if (letter == 0x2019 || letter == 0x2018) return 0x0027;  // single quotes
     223   else if (letter == 0x201c || letter == 0x201d) return 0x0022;
     224   return 0; // no decent character map
     225 }

Seems like they have had problems with single quotes as well (both left and right).

I'll test a fix...

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    XBMC font-code has this interesting part;

Code:
     219 // remaps unsupported font glpyhs to other suitable ones
     220 wchar_t CGUIFont::RemapGlyph(wchar_t letter)
     221 {
     222   if (letter == 0x2019 || letter == 0x2018) return 0x0027;  // single quotes
     223   else if (letter == 0x201c || letter == 0x201d) return 0x0022;
     224   return 0; // no decent character map
     225 }

Seems like they have had problems with single quotes as well (both left and right).

I'll test a fix...
    Cool, would be nice to do for all the problematic characters:
    C# How to replace Microsoft's Smart Quotes with straight quotation marks? - Stack Overflow

Obviously need to get the hex code of the normal char.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I don't know how to get the HEX values, from all the testing I did, I only found that the strings are handled as...strings.

Putting this in a few places in GUIFont.cs, fixes the problem for me (fixes as in replaces single left/right quotation mark with apostrophe):

Code:
          text = text.Replace("‘", "'");
          text = text.Replace("’", "'");

Obviously that's not very clean, but it works. I would rather have normal looking apostrophe than weird looking right single quotation mark ;)

Attachments

• adele_ok.jpg
      adele_ok.jpg
      138.2 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I don't know how to get the HEX values, from all the testing I did, I only found that the strings are handled as...strings.

Putting this in a few places in GUIFont.cs, fixes the problem for me (fixes as in replaces single left/right quotation mark with apostrophe):

Code:

Obviously that's not very clean, but it works. I would rather have normal looking apostrophe than weird looking right single quotation mark ;)

Also it is highly inefficient to run that replace on rendering pass. At least I would assume it gets done there. Much better way (still a hack) would be to replace the content that is passed to the GUI controls.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Code:

Also it is highly inefficient to run that replace on rendering pass. At least I would assume it gets done there. Much better way (still a hack) would be to replace the content that is passed to the GUI controls.

I have no idea where to put the replacement to make it least inefficient, but I'm sure others have ;)

Your answer sounds reasonable enough, for me it was just a matter of testing whether it would fix the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom