Speeding up channel change (1 Viewer)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    for my USA ATSC Samsung TV, flipping between 2 channels using "prev-chan" remote button takes about 2-3 seconds. The old days with analog NTSC flipped channels faster than digital ATSC. Time from eyeballing watch with second hand.

With MePo, USA ATSC HDHR tuners, flipping between 2 channels using keyboard "0" takes about 4-5 seconds. About 2X slower than my ATSC TV. If I press TV remote and MePo keyboard at the same time, the ATSC TV is always faster. This is using single seat MePo server/client.

With Beyond TV, different software with similar functions to MePo, using HDHR tuners it also takes about 4-5 seconds to flip between 2 channels. If I flip channels with Beyond TV and MePo at the same time, both start showing the new channel at about the same time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What happens if you select the channel using the mini-guide rather than pressing numbers? There is always a zap delay if you use buttons... which means it isn't really a fair measure of how fast MP can actually change channels.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Tried MePo mini-guide vs ATSC TV flip channel test. With MePo open mini-guide highlight/select new channel, then press MePo keyboard "enter" at same time as TV remote "prev-chan". ATSC TV always is always faster, MePo shows new channel about 2 seconds after TV. Maybe MePo mini-guide is little faster than the keyboard "0" flip channel, hard to really tell any difference.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    On your ATSC TV, you're switching to a channel on a different frequency right? Same as with MP?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    For my flip tests I used the same pair of channels for ATSC TV and MePo, KPIX 5.1 physical=29 and KNTV 11.1 physical=12.

On the ATSC TV flipping between 2 ATSC sub-channels on the same physical channel, 11.1/11.2 or 7.1/7.2 seems to take about the same time as flipping between different ATSC 7.1 and 11.1 channels. On MePo the same sub-channel flip is faster. The ATSC TV is still a bit faster but not a full 2 seconds. Its hard to get a real apples/apples comparison. The main ATSC channel 5.1, 7.1, 11.1 is a higher bandwidth HDTV video, the sub-channels are always lower bandwidth but not sure if that makes a difference.

Another comment, if I watch MePo on a LCD Monitor and live ATSC TV that are next to each other, the MePo video/audio is about 0.5-1.0 sec delayed compared to the ATSC TV. I guess MePo has some amount of buffering between the receiving the channel and displaying the video.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another comment, if I watch MePo on a LCD Monitor and live ATSC TV that are next to each other, the MePo video/audio is about 0.5-1.0 sec delayed compared to the ATSC TV. I guess MePo has some amount of buffering between the receiving the channel and displaying the video.
    Yes, this is expected. It is a function of the timeshifting and all the processing that happens between the signal coming into the tuner card and it being displayed on your monitor.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    From my ATSC TV user point of view, I think MePo channel change is ok, it would be nice if it was faster but not the end of the world. When I 1st started using ATSC digital instead of analog TV I was more annoyed by the slow ATSC channel change. For 90% of my MePo usage I watch recorded TV, even if I'm watching "live" I watch the recording file while its written to the hard drive. I almost never watch live real-time using timeshift buffer.

mawhite

Portal Member
    October 23, 2011
    Also remove the 'select.wav' (or whatever .wav file is listed) from the MP Config setup (under Keys and Sounds) and specifically assigned to "Select" action. I have just proven this to increase speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom