• No, i dont want that

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I did read the post. When one poster says that something isn't working in "Aust" and the next one says that it works in Austria for him it is not too hard to think that the second poster got the location mixed up. It wasn't like I was making fun of you or anything...

Elconejo

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2005
    Belgium
    nice test plan

Hi,

The test plan for the MSN messenger plug-in is great, are there more test plans like that? I'm happy to test them. It would be even more great if there would be like an online form with checkboxes and steps to complete like an online wizard, sending the information directly to the correct developer. Much more users would fill in this form. Or do you think this would be to much work to make?

Mp works great on my machine, but like said earlier, i don't trust MP to record for long periods. Sometimes it records well, sometimes it doesn't.

El Conejo

vbgeezer

Portal Pro
    December 18, 2004
    Auckland, New Zealand
    just my opinion no offence intended

I was one of the many people who offered to help test and then didn't go through with it. Why? you ask

Because I can't be bothered? NO
    Because I don't have time? NO
    Because it was too hard? NO

Because you asked for testers to help make a stable rock solid and fast app before adding new features. Before I managed to write my first test plan ( oh yes I do this professionally folks) you strated adding DVB support.

Sorry frodo I have great respet for the awesomne work you guys are doing and I use MP everyday but when you go back on an agreement you lose support.

Anyone who works in software knows that until you stop adding features you cannot get a chance to make it stable and maybe it's best yo guys knock yourself out for another 6 months adding features. How many can you really think of? Then we can take a deep breath and try to sort out the stability.

All I know is that until you stop adding 1000s> of new features there won't be too many testers keen to join in.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    you strated adding DVB support

That shouldn't affect the ability to test other plugins?

oh yes I do this professionally folks

That puts you in a really good position to make a big difference, perhaps you could use your professional experience to get the ball rolling with a proper test team? Read back through this thread, its all 'if you show us how', 'tell us what to do' and so on, we're all pushed for time as it is so step right up and take control.

Sub Zer0

August 18, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Smirnoff is right, although we're not all computer experts: if we share our knowledge, we can all try to improve MP. 4 eyes can see more than 2 (and so on :wink: ). So may be there could be formed some test teams. I'm willing to help too, I do know some JAVA coding, some PHP, some XML, although my package may not be enough to deliver a complete new version of a plug-in, I can suggest on routines, pieces of code or something and so help improving this software.
    I'm still a student so I don't have many experience leading programming (and debugging) teams, but I AM a teamplayer and willing to help where possible, so I hope that there are some experienced people out there that can select the right persons to assist them in their hunt for stable plug-ins and perhaps more...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    start serious mediaportal testing

it appears to me that we all agree in one point:
    we need specific and useful testplans

@vbgeezer, Frodo and Smirnoff

if you three work together you can start serious mediaportal testing.
    Frodo and Smirnoff: you have to determine what must be tested.

vbgeezer: in cooperation with the developers you can come up with a specific testplan and post it in the forum. then we have got a testplan everyone can use. the results of the tests and information about the system mediaportal is running at (like the support template), has to be posted in the forum.

therefore we need a new forum structure:
    Code:
    bughunting-Forum
    --|
    --|-->MY-TV
    --|      |-->Topic: (Sticky)TestPlan for i.e. TwinhanDTV-Sat Ci
    --|      |-->Topic: (Sticky)TestPlan for i.e. something else
    --|      |-->Topic: Result TestPlan for i.e. TwinhanDTV-Sat Ci
    --|->Plugins
    --|      |-->Topic:TestPlan for any plugin
    --|      |-->Topic: Result TestPlan for anyplugin

please vbgeezer, Frodo and Smirnoff. if you can provide us with the testplans, i guarantee you that you will get an overwhelming feedback.

iam sure after a few weeks there will be more mediaportal users who will help setting up testplans. once we know how its done.

A

Anonymous

I voted yes

MP is a big project and big projects can get bogged down in the details and lose sight of the bigger picture. I, for one, did not get MP to work until I upgraded to 0.1.3.0 and then the latest Dvico drivers. To me this would indicate that MP would not work until these two things came together but I know other people had it working with earlier versions of both pieces of software. Therefore it must have been something I was doing wrong, what, I don't know. But what I do know is that I don't know a lot about digital TV and I think a lot of other users are in the same boat. I only get a short time to 'play around' with MP, maybe once a week, and I have to go over ground I've already been over to get back to where I was. This slows me down considerably but my frustrations have led me to make the following suggestions.

If some of the keen people out there who fully understand digital TV and MP could put together some sort of 'manual', one that explains what is being transmitted by the stations, how it is decoded and how MP uses that information etc.

Maybe even some sort of glossary so that you can use the correct technical terms when doing a search, eg how do you do a search on 'autotune' when you don't know that it is autotune that you are looking for? (You'd never guess that my card originally wouldn't find stations would you?)

There's a heap of basic stuff that seems to crop up regularly as well, setting up scheduler to start after going into standby, what resolutions to set video cards to, what is a PID etc. These could be covered in the 'manual' mentioned above or the glossary.

A set of guidelines to point people in the right direction when starting out, some (simple) explanations of the technical side and maybe the number of questions being asked in the forums would decrease and the programmers could concentrate on a stable platform for the rest of the features.

Today is the one day of the week, so it's time to get back to MP and find out why I can't get it to playback video recorded by the Dvico card.

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I think vbgeezer can be a valuable resource for MP. I as vbgeezer also work with testing software and hardware. But my experience is only about 14 months so I don't think I can make any good test plans yet (test specifications as we call it at work). But I work with test plans almost every day so I can probably do some good testing (if I find the time) and give you some nice test reports.

Do you guys use some kind of bug reporting tool? You know like if someone report a bug (defect), someone else analyse it, then someone make a action plan, then someone fix it, and finally it is tested again. (A tool that handles this like the "Mantis" tool used for the webinterface).

Greetings / Tomas

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    mediaportal uses Mantis for all bugreports.
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1025

if anyone is interested in bugtracking software, i did a quick search and found this free packages

x GNATS 4.0.1
    GNATS is the GNU bug-tracking system.
    x Mantis 1.0.0 RC1
    Mantis is a PHP/MySQL-based bugtracking system.
    x GForge 4.5.0.1
    GForge is a collaborative development environment.
    x Trac 0.8.3
    Trac is a combined issue tracker, Subversion interface, and Wiki.
    x Scarab 1.0a20
    Scarab is a Java-based issue tracking system.
    x Atlassian JIRA 3.3
    Atlassian JIRA is a J2EE-based issue tracking and project management application.

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Avalon111 said:

Oh, I did not know that.

I like the fact that there are only a few people allowed to report to this system as it would probably be flooded with crap otherwise.

But if a test team is assembled they should also be able to report to this, but the reports could be analyzed by the two people now adding the bugs to the system.

r/tk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom