Neil1454

Portal Member
October 25, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm reading through robbo's MP guide.
I'm at the Power Settings part.
When it mentions about having problems with getting the system into standby mode.
Standby, does this mean that the system is still powered on but it just shuts HDDs down, monitor/TV.
Or does it mean where they PC powers off but can be brought back by a press on the keyboard?

Just tripping to understand what it means by standby mode?

Thanks

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Standby means the computer is powered off, except for system dram. Ram memory is retained so that the computer can return to the pre-standby state more quickly than it can reboot. (in theory)

Neil1454

Portal Member
    October 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Eeeesh! thanks.

Do I have my Windows 7 Power Saving settings correct that will work with MP?

Hard Drive : 5 Mins
    Wireless Adapter: Max performance
    Sleep: NEVER <----- SHOULD THIS BE NEVER???
    Hybrid Sleep: On
    Hibernate after: NEVER
    Display: 10 Mins
    Allow Waker Timers: Enabled
    USB Selective Suspend: Enabled

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Hi Neil.

I have sleep set to 5 mins on my server so that when then clients are all turned off it goes to sleep 5 mins later. It will then auto wake to record, or if a client is switched back on.

If you have single seat, then 5 mins is fine too, but it really comes down to your personal preference.

Robbo100

Neil1454

Portal Member
    October 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi Neil.

I have sleep set to 5 mins on my server so that when then clients are all turned off it goes to sleep 5 mins later. It will then auto wake to record, or if a client is switched back on.

If you have single seat, then 5 mins is fine too, but it really comes down to your personal preference.

Robbo100

Yer it is single seat.

So 5 mins sleep is what will close off the PC leaving in a resumable state if there is a recording etc?

Neil1454

Portal Member
    October 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Robbo, on your guide it mentions about installed PowerScheduler++ v1.2.6.0 or later.

I've removed the tick from "show only stable releases" and I can still only locate v1.2.3.5 and nothing later is available.
    Even after updating the extensions?

Was 1.2.6.0 removed?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Good point. This was a beta version which was binned by Michael.

Yes, use that one (although have had some problems with the latest version so am using .4 rather than .5.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I could certainly be wrong, but I thought the general recommendation is to use PowerScheduler to initiate standby, and not use any windows setting to do it.
    At any rate, that's what I do ---

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    PowerScheduler++ will let MediaPortal use your system standby settings, but you are right, the PowerScheduler supplied with MP requires you to disable the Windows standby settings.

For the guide that I wrote, that Neil is following, I suggest the use of PowerScheduler++ because it is useful for resolving issues where the system does not standby well.

Robbo100

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom