Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

yesterday night and today (for testing) I had a Problem: I power down the System to hibernate via IRSS. While recording as far as I understand, this should be changed to sleep mode. But twice it went to hibernate, even while a recording was running.

Not sure if there is a conection: I send the Power Comand twice via remote, because some other Actions of the remote/Shut down Macro (power down lights....) weren't executed.

But I'm quite sure, that this didn't happend in the past. Maybe a bug of 1.17 ?

Any Idea how to prefent interrupting of recordings accidently?

THANKS!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I power down the System to hibernate via IRSS. While recording as far as I understand, this should be changed to sleep mode. But twice it went to hibernate, even while a recording was running.
    There is an unfortunate difference between sleep and hibernation. This difference makes hibernation unusable from a remote control:

(1) If the POWER button on the remote control is defined to be "Sleep", and you have enabled "Away Mode" in the active power plan, when you press the POWER button on the remote:

(a) the system will transition to away mode if a recording is in progress or one is about to start in the next N minutes, or

(b) the system will transition to sleep mode if there is no current recording and one is not about to start in the next N minutes.

These are the outcomes that you want on an HTPC.

(2) If the POWER button on the remote control is defined to be "Hibernate", the system hibernates immediately, regardless of whether a recording is in progress. So any currently-active recording is terminated prematurely. This is not the outcome that you want on an HTPC. As far as I know, this is Windows behaviour, and cannot be overridden by MP.

If you want to use hibernation, you should define the POWER button on the remote to have no function. Windows uses the name "Sleep Button" for the power button on the remote, and you define its action in the "Advanced Settings" in the power plan. You should then define a reasonable hibernation time (say, 15 minutes) in the power plan, and that is the time that an idle system will run before hibernating.

Note that a system that is recording is not considered to be idle, so expiry of the hibernation timeout does not end a recording prematurely. Instead, the recording runs to completion and then the system hibernates immediately.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello CyberSimian,

thanks for the good explanation! Didn't know that hibernate reacts different than sleep . The idea was that in the way we use the system it makes more sense to send the system to hibernate, because usally it isn't used for a while.

But no problem to change this to sleep (an power shedular handles hibernate).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom