Start of recording with increasing time delay (1 Viewer)

Harry_T

June 29, 2022
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have been using MediaPortal 1.x (currently 1.30) since 2013 on a Zotac ZBOX ID83 (Intel I3, Windows 7 now Windows 10). I record TV program when I'm eg. on vacation. The start and end of the recording is extremely on schedule with the help of Powerscheduler++. A year ago I gave myself the luxury to buy 2 new PCs, one for my office (Intel NUC 10I3FNH) and again a Zotac ZBOX M series Edge MI 626 for my TV recordings. The NUC has the so-called "modern" standby (S0), which can be switched to "classic" standby (S1 – S5) via registry. The Zotac has only S4 standby mode (according to the manufacturer due to EU energy directive). On both PCs Windows 10 was installed switched later to Windows 11 and – despite the very different configurations of the two PC I ended up always with the same problem:

The problem is the start of the scheduled recording. It sounds crazy, but the further apart the programming of the recording and the start of recording is, the more late the recording starts. The delay is a bit more than 5 minutes per day. If I program a TV recording at 6.00 p.m. which starts at 8.00 p.m. the same day, the recording starts on time. But - if I program the recording at 6.00 pm for 8.00 p.m. for the FOLLOWING DAY, then the recording does not start on time at 8.00 p.m. but at 8.05 p.m.! If I program e.g. on Monday a TV recording for Thursday the delay would be 15 minutes! (powercfg – waketimers shows always the correct timing!). The end of the recordings is always on time (no delay)! This “phenomenon” is independent from OS (Windows 10 or 11)!

Has anyone made the same experience? It would be great if someone could help me solve the problem! (Why does everything works perfectly with the "old" Zotac? – What's different compared to the recently bought PC's?)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    the further apart the programming of the recording and the start of recording is, the more late the recording starts. The delay is a bit more than 5 minutes per day.
    If this were occurring on only one of the new computers, my suspicion would be that the computer has a defective clock chip which is losing 5 minutes each day. This would explain why the start delay increases the further in the future the scheduled recording is.

A defective clock chip would also explain why the recording stop is always at the correct time (assuming that your PC is connected to the internet). Windows will synchronise the system time with an internet time server when Windows powers up, thereby resetting the PC to the correct time. However, this assumes that the system is not powered on between scheduling the recording and the recording starting.

From your post I get the impression that this problem occurs with both of the new PCs. This makes it much less likely that it is a defective clock chip. Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Harry_T

June 29, 2022
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you very much for your reply! I don't think that the battery might be the problem as it is very unlikely that both PC – which are only 6 months old! – already have battery problems. I want to add to the above problem description that it makes no difference if I select in Powerscheduler that Powerscheduler itself or Windows handles the standby.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Well, your issue is really weird.
    Normally, battery should be OK but, who know ?
    And, if you have something like that :

zz1.jpg

It could be interesting to see if your battery give 3 Volts.
    Also, if, after 3 days (for example) if you can start your PC manually and, go into the BIOS, motherboard BIOS time could be a good indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom