Codecs State of HW acceleration (1 Viewer)

drealit

Portal Pro
March 15, 2008
Anyway, to the encoding parameters. Thanks for listing some :) :D
Why do you list resolution constraints for ref? I'm using 6 for all my encodes regardless of res. My poor E8400 can't cope with more and I don't want to waste quality to impatience. So I settled for 6 and left it at that. Is it important for DXVA?
Refer to here which further explains the resolution constraints with the ref setting - X264 Settings - MeWiki

Hm, I do not limit maxrate and bufsize in my encodes. Instead I let x264 decide what's best. But why would I limit maxrate and bufsize? Do DXVA cards have issues with decoding bitrates too high?

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that bluray will have a maximum rate of around 50MB/s.

analyze: Hm, I'm using x264 through mencoder and I have this: partitions=all:8x8dct. I'm not sure how that's different from the bitmask you stated since I couldn't find an explanation for it (in a rather haste search that is).

I don't know this off the top of my head either (at work right now so I can't go researching either), I just know that anything different from the settings I listed will lead to problems with an encode and DXVA.

Looking at this, I'm tempted to say that the culprit would be analyze / partitions parameter.
Can you confirm? I'd like to know how I must set this parameter so that it works. Can you list the partitions that the bitmask represents?

Yes analyze is a huge culprit 80% of the time with an encode not being DXVA compliant. With the site I use, half the encodes get deleted because whomever made the encode had a value different from that aka DXVA would not function.

Thanks,
Jure

A really good test (also a great way for you to find out what profile someone used on an encode)... download MediaInfo and use it on one of your encodes. Compare the profile results to what I listed up there. If anything is not to those specs, there's a high possibility that that is your problem.

This is how I built my profile over time - just seeing what others were doing and then experimenting on my own. Now I think I have a fantastic profile that usually leads to a film being 80% or less in file size compared to the original film. I just finished Apollo13 this morning and took it from 17GB down to 13GB with minimal quality loss (and that isn't a very good source mind you). You can really tell whether your encode is going well by the SSIM Mean value (I shoot for .98 or higher aka 98% mathematical quality compared to original source) and look at the value for a P frame slice which you want between... 17.99-18.99? Anything less than those numbers (the frame slices not the SSIM Mean) means your wasting space/encoding time and anything more means your quality isn't high enough and you need to change something. Both of those values can be gotten from your megui log read out after a test encode finishes. Add SelectRangeEvery(1500, 30) to your avisynth script to do a test encode... multiply the file size that this yields by 50 and divide by 1024 to get your estimated final encode output and just multiply the time by 50 to see how long your encode will take... then you don't lose anything by not doing 2pass (since with CRF you can't specify a final output size) since again I do CRF encoding (to ensure my quality).

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Now, I would gladly listen to your advice, but that particular movie comes on three (3) discs and it's not the only one with such ridiculous amount of data.
    The actual movie content is not split over 3 discs. The film itself is on disk 1, with all the special features other than the directors cometary spread over the other two.

NvIon

September 2, 2009
    ATI sucks for H.264 DXVA decoding, ATI can only do L4.1, 4 reference frames max. Go over the limits and everything goes to hell, green screen, macroblocking errors, massive corruption, no hardware acceleration etc etc. Not to mention ATI randomly breaks DXVA support and post processing features with each driver release.

Nvidia supports L5.1, 16 reference frames decoding since 178.24 WHQL drivers to the latest 190.62 WHQL drivers. Even out of spec encodes will be decoded properly with hardware acceleration on Nvidia GPUs with VP2/VP3 unit. G80 GPUs(8800 Ultra/GTX, 8800 GTS320/640) do not have the VP2 unit, only VP1 which is the same as Geforce 7 series and so cannot do full decoding on the GPU, only partial decoding acceleration so CPU usage reduction isn't as good as GPUs with VP2/VP3. MPC-HC's decoder only supports the full hardware acceleration mode, bitstream decoding/variable length decode(VLD) so G80 users are out of luck.

So basically if you want the most compatible H.264 decoding hardware, you should get Nvidia graphic cards. The upcoming Nvidia Geforce GT 220 supports full hardware decoding for H.264, VC-1 and MPEG2 as well as 8 channel LPCM support.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dxvagt220.png
      dxvagt220.png
      78.6 KB

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    ATI can only do L4.1, 4 reference frames max ATI can only do L4.1, 4 reference frames max.

...nice one, ati can do 5.1 (not sure about frame limit - i dont have enought video samples to test):
    ati_dxva_5.1l6.jpg

Media info:
    Code:
    General
    Complete name                    : H:\MP\_videa\Lost.S04E01.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU-001.mkv
    Format                           : Matroska
    File size                        : 25.6 MiB
    Duration                         : 1mn 1s
    Overall bit rate                 : 3 501 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-11-26 13:27:27
    Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 11 2008 20:13:15
    Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    ID                               : 2
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : High@L5.1
    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 6 frames
    Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@5.1
    Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration                         : 1mn 1s
    Bit rate                         : 2 983 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate                 : 3 228 Kbps
    Width                            : 1 280 pixels
    Height                           : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
    Resolution                       : 24 bits
    Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.135
    Stream size                      : 21.8 MiB (85%)
    Writing library                  : x264 core 57 698tw

NvIon

September 2, 2009
    720p L5.1 video only? Nice try, but you're not fooling anyone. Try playing a 1080p, L5.1, any reference frame above 4 encode.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    720p L5.1 video only? Nice try, but you're not fooling anyone. Try playing a 1080p, L5.1, any reference frame amount of encode.

And whats about this one? I do not have sample with more ref. frames, so no idea where is ATI limit...
    ati_dxva_5.1l3.jpg

Code:
    General
    Complete name                    : H:\MP\_videa\Smallville - 8x04 - Instinct.mkv
    Format                           : Matroska
    File size                        : 34.0 MiB
    Duration                         : 42s 176ms
    Overall bit rate                 : 6 764 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-10-24 22:19:35
    Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 11 2008 20:13:15
    Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : High@L5.1
    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
    Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@5.1
    Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration                         : 42s 125ms
    Bit rate                         : 6 437 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate                 : 6 700 Kbps
    Width                            : 1 920 pixels
    Height                           : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
    Resolution                       : 24 bits
    Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.129
    Stream size                      : 32.3 MiB (95%)

NvIon

September 2, 2009
    No, you're the one that missed the point. ATI DXVA compatability sucks, heck even ATI users admit it on the ATI forums, you can Google if you want. But you want to insist it doesn't, now that I've put out the challenge, you can't play it with any hardware acceleration, period.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    No, you're the one that missed the point. ATI DXVA compatability sucks, heck even ATI users admit it on the ATI forums, you can Google if you want. But you want to insist it doesn't, now that I've put out the challenge, you can't play it with any hardware acceleration, period.

Depends what is the goal for HW acceleration. If it is just playing legally bought blu-ray disks then ATI is better than Nvidia (Nvidia has VC-1 support only on their 8300 / 8400 integrated GPUs, and maybe in 2xx series?).

...of cource that doesn't tell anything of ATI's actual quality (that I have really bad personal experience...). But still you should consider the real need, not everyone is using scene releases as their movie source :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom