Codecs State of HW acceleration (1 Viewer)

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    OK, so ATI can play 5.1 under certain circumstances. This is encouraging though it seems some codec features are not properly supported.
    If blu-ray encodes will play I guess I'm just going to have to analyze them and then experiment a bit to determine the parameter that gives me trouble.
    In the end I'll still be much happier when a codec appears that will take advantage of hardware and supports all H264 features. Doing it all with minimal bad side effects (decode faults) will of course be a bonus.

I hear CoreAVC 2.0 will use OpenCL for acceleration. Hopefully it'll be any good. Now a release date would be just fine :)

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    Haha that has to be one of my favorite quotes on the forums. A scene release is what you see on most public torrenting sites. Scene encodes are done as fast as possible to get it online as fast as possible to be the "first" to get it up and available. It's a huge ePeen thing for the encoding groups. They massively sacrifice quality to get their releases out first. A lot of time they'll have massive defects in the encodes such as a black crush... which is what you see in dark scenes when you see blocks forming in the dark areas. They're very distracting during a viewing. Scene releases can also be larger than regular encodes which means wasted space not to mention the lost quality from inefficient encoding.

Ticiano

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    drealit, I was being ironic. I just can't believe we build a system with a zilion terabytes storate and keep it absolutely "scene release free" :)

I have my thoughts in this copyright versus filesharing discussion, but I know this is not the place for this kind of debates.

Anyway, I made some tests encoding my own stuff here and I'm impressed with the power of this H264 reencodes... This copys can have a real great quality and obviolusly this quality isn't aways present in this scene releases...

Just getting back to the topic discussion, I've seeing a lot of ATI users complaining about DXVA not working with some files... Here I'm using my GF8200 IGP with the last nVidia drivers and MP's internal player with SAF and I saw DXVA working in absolutely all the H264 files I tryed... I don't know, tecnicaly, if the nVidia hardware or drivers have more versatility with DXVA... I don't have a system with ATI GPU to test this, but comparing my own experiences with some posts I've read, I cold bet nVidia is doing a better work in this area...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    drealit, I was being ironic.

So, in short you are saying that you have had sex before getting married? :p
    :oops:

tourettes, you know a little more about this nVidia x ATI diferences in DXVA compliance, don't you?

Not much. I ust know that current Nvidia drivers allow more reference frames to be used at L5.1 than ATI allows. Could be even a HW limitation that ATI has.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    So NVIDIA does support bad encoded videos, nothing new.

On the other hand 9400 series fails at Advanced HD Deinterlacing on ALL the drivers version.

After testing both ATI and NVIDIA cards/drivers i have to state that Nvidia is better for high ref. frames encodes (which wont offer you any better PQ) while ATI has better deinterlacing compared to similar Nvidia GPU's.

Deinterlacing is important when it comes to HDTV so yes i will go ATI anytime.

P.S. It has been discussed countless times that scene releases should respect the official DXVA specs. There are even default setting in MeGui so that clueless people should still produce something that will work everywhere. People just ignore the specs and then blame ATI.

P.S.2 I love the custom resolution option on NVIDIA settings panel :) ATI needs something similar:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom