Codecs State of HW acceleration (1 Viewer)

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I just switched from 8800GTS to HD5870.
    While my Win7 WMP 12 (probably using MS DTV-DVD codec) was consistently crashing my 8800GTS drivers, it plays fine on my new 5870.
    These are the same x264 transcodes that I make myself (camera codecs are just plain greedy bandwidth-wize).

Note that HW acceleration IS confirmed to be used. CPU usage around 5% with WMP and around 30% with MPC-HC using ffdshow.

General clip info:
    1280x720 30FPS
    Level 4.1, high profile
    predictor frames 6, b-frames 16
    multi hexagon 32 pixels range

Unfortunately, I deleted my test Underworld BD transcode the other day so I can't say how it handles full HD, but I'm guessing it will do that as well.

So 5000 series Radeons seem to finally do things nicely. There's still the simple matter of having to buy at least a mid range card if you want good acceleration. Entry level models just don't cut the mustard as I hear.

volgot

March 10, 2010
    Hi!

Just googled to this thread to find can ATI play L5.1
    just because my MSI GeForce GT240 GDDR5 CAN'T DO THIS in hardware :mad:

I'm MediaPortal user too..
    I have switched from my Gainward HD 3850 (native HDMI) to GT 240 (HDMI) one to test the "better Linux support" (VDPAU, etc.) ..

That I had with Radeon:
    + good image quality
    + good deinterlacing
    + good decoding (UVD+)
    + good dual-monitor support
    + REAL HARDWARE OVERLAY on the second display (theater mode)
    - little problem with drivers sometimes

This is what I have now with my new GeForce:
    - NO sound via HDMI in Linux (even with the latest Alsa 1.24, and I found NO sound drivers from Nvidia)
    - NO refresh-rate nor colorspase change on the second monitor in Linux (even under "root" account not only nothing saves but there is NO button "save" exists att all!)
    - NEITHER MythTV nor XBMC works on dual-monitors in Linux (XBMC won't starts att all, MythTV "full screen" on the second monitor takes only the first monitor's size with Ubuntu background around)
    - NO overlay on the second display in Windows XP (neither via VR7 nor via overlay) :eek: so I'm upgraded to Win 7 to have EVR at least..
    - NO good dual-display support in Windows 7 att ALL (tearing, glitching, mm, vsync problems, chaotic FPS fr. 20 to 50, and there real catastrophe whith the MPCHC's "tearing test") so I'm switched to Vista one
    - NO working color-space switching on the second display in the last Detonator 260 (only RGB eller the same RGB but with wrong colors) so I'm downgraded to the 258 one
    and most importantly:
    - NO L5.1 content via DXVA without artifact (even via CoreAVC PRO + Cuda <- this is strange!) so I was forced to turn Cuda in CoreAVC and DXVA in other codecs OFF complitly to avoid problems.

So, for now I have NO working DXVA att all on my "Core Type GT215 PureVideo HD VP4 VDPAU feature set C" card :oops:

Now I'm going to buy ATI HD 5*, if there some problems too - I'm buying Matrox or smth, but
    NEVER EVER I'm going to buy another nvidia card whith neither "cuda", #shmuda# nor @bermuda@ or smth
    even FOR FREE I will NEVER take this shit again :D

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    All I can say is that my integrated Radeon 3200 + my Athlon II X2 240e has yet to fall on any of the +150 MKVs I have AND that it has vector adaptive deinterlacing on our PAL dvb channels...Maybe I just was lucky to avoid bad encodes.

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Well my integrated radeon HD 3300 + Athlon II 350 don't do vector adaptive deinterlacing. Otherwise this setup plays everything fluently, but through ffdshow.

Interlaced content (live TV) suffers a bit. Plays a bit smoother when set up for shared RAM than when using 128MB onboard dedicated.

As for volgot's rant: I'm sorry to hear you have so many issues with your new card. Did you try to search for solutions on the net? I don't have a NV card any more, but my 8800GTS was a fine card and many issues you mention I never detected.

volgot

March 10, 2010
    Did you try to search for solutions on the net?

Of course I did!
    I'm working as software developer so research && problem solving it's one of what I get paid :rolleyes:

And I can see, of course, what others doing.. I mean shoemaker always sees the poor quality shoes :)
    This is crap.. All of the last graphic-products in the market is a dupery.

Not only nvidia but the whole HD 5*** series not wanting to work at all -> ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems (5870 5850 5770 5750 5670 5570 5450)

Did YOU try to search how to fix HD5870:s "Pixel Format Output Problems" OR the "green screen" it's not a big deal for you?... :confused:

(I'm going to take ATI 5770 tomorrow for tests, so I'll 'be back' with my DXVA && color results..)

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Pixel format output problems?
    Green screen?

What the hell are you talking about?!?
    I'd need to research into these to even know what they are...

Both my current ATI solutions work as I want, except for HD 3300 UVD speed.
    The most trouble they gave me was a wrong primary display during setup (both are multi - display configured).

Are you sure you're not just looking for problems?
    That aside, there are features I want and neither AMD nor NV provide too.

volgot

March 10, 2010
    No, I'm just looking for a better than geforce card..
    And you can just read about the last ATI serie (you have a link)

OK so the 5000 series definitely has some problems especially with HDMI audio..
    If you don't understand some terms, please search for them..

- Pixel Format RGB Full in some systems is broken, it seems to output desktop colors at the same levels as Limited.
    - Pixel Format YCbCr yields a greenish cast especially in the darker areas. This affects everything except video in the protected video path (PVP) such as bluray in the commercial bluray players (when playing from disc or ISO)

But I'll try :)

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I'm waiting for a Zacate.
    Hopefully desktop boards will be available on launch :)
    Or maybe even pre-built HTPC machines :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom