[Step-2] Add already watched ts buffer to recording (1 Viewer)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
i can confirm wbunaarf - in approx. 40-50% of scheduled recordings tsbuffers are also copied.

dedi

Portal Pro
January 27, 2010
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
It destroyed some scheduled recordings when I switched to the channel that is currently recording (started recording before timeshift).

jonesdb

Portal Pro
January 11, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
What is the status of this in 1.1.0 Final? Great feature that I always thought was missing. Didn't know it had been implemented covertly

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Any news on that one?

For me it won't work. Only thing that happens is that TV gets turned off (picture freezes and i have to press "TV ON" button in MP to switch it back on. Recordings are still not added.

Logs included

P.S.: I'm using one that is already included in 1.1.1. Or i still have to patch it?

EDIT: it seems that timeshift file gets copied into Recorded TV folder, but not merged with the recording.

jump007

Portal Member
November 30, 2010
Sydney
Home Country
Hi,

I just installed MediaPortal in order to:confused::confused::confused: combine TV and media. I have been using Foxtel IQ for TV and expected that mediaportal would at least match the functionality. I am now somewhat surprised that there is even a discussion about timeshift (such as adding the buffer that is already in timeshift). I do understand that there are several options to run timeshift. 1. recording everything - including channel changes
2. starting new whenever the channel changes

This becomes much more interesting when you have several tuners.

What the IQ box does (Foxtel) is very simple and effective. It uses the "start fresh whenever you change the channel". However, the major advantage is:
You can add into a recording (which you may start late to record) whatever is in the timeshift for the current program.
secondly, when you start recording and change channel, it keeps the timeshift going in the previous channel. You can do this with both tuners, which means you can switch between the 2 channels and keep the timeshift for both.

If this approach would be adopted for each available tuner in MediaPortal, MP would have the best solution. (W7MC does keep the timeshift when you start recording, but it does not add the timesft buffer into the recording (for later use).

The consequences will be that the feature keeping all channel switches in the timeshift is not logical (I assume to get a complete recording of a program requires that it only keeps one channel in the recording.

W7MC is much closer. If they would add the timeshift into the recording it would be equal (plus) to Foxtel IQ.

I am just interested what research the developers did to get the best solution. If this becomes subject to preferences, may be there could be an option in setup.

What are your thoughts

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What are your thoughts

Yes I also miss the feature to add timeshift to the recording but the original developer (gemx) is rather busy these days. (with rl stuff I suspect). That's where WMC7 and Foxtel have it easy, their devs have to show up at work every day so keep that in mind when critisizing MP.

Also MP has to try to offer a good solution for networked clients as well, not only one local clinet like the solutions you named. Again yes there could (should) be more options to set up the behavior of the TvServer/Timeshifting but there has to be a dev wanting this feature and willing to work on it in his free time (Also this is a very complicated area of code).

Fyi I tried to get some attention for this in the team forums but couldn't find anyone to work on this for now...

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, since i changed the company and got assigned to really huge project with a very very tough timeline, i won't be able to work on MP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom