Stocks plugin (3 Viewers)

civikdude

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
U.S.A.
egonspengleruk said:
At the minute you need to change the source. Im using this plugin as my project to learn C# so its a lots of small steps at a time.
If I need to modify strings.xml then im starting to think that this may need to be commited into the main CVS tree at some point as I am already changing the fonts.xml to enable extra characters. I have tried to keep the plugin sandboxed so it doesnt effect too many outside (main) files. I think this may be a long way off.....

Hi Egon,

Thanks for the reply! Maybe you could make the button label configurable within the mystocks.xml file for now? I tried changing the following section, but it only changed the label within the MyStocks module, not the initial button label.

Code:
<control>
<type>label</type>
<description>My Stocks text label</description>
<id>1</id>
<posX>160</posX>
<posY>78</posY>
<label>Check the STOCK QUOTES</label>
<font>font16</font>
<textcolor>ffffffff</textcolor>
</control>

Maybe you could make the above control the button text as well?

Regards,
Aaron

egonspengleruk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    tkortell said:
    egonspengleruk said:
    Shouldnt matter what page they come from as ticker names are per stock exchange and not per webpage....but I pull all the data from finance.yahoo.co.uk

Ok, thanks. Do you know of a good list of "ticker" names then? It's hard to know what stock has what "ticker" name. (As I said I'm not that familiar with stocks in general)

R / tk

Easiest way to find them is to have a scan at the news items on the financial sections of websites....but I know what you mean. I had to think initially of things to test the code with...and they dont just into your head.
    Try some of the following.....
    GOOG = Google
    EBAY = Ebay
    MSFT = Microsoft
    YHOO = Yahoo Inc
    INTC = Intel
    AMD = AMD

You would never guess I work in the high tech field would you :)

egonspengleruk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    civikdude said:
    egonspengleruk said:
    At the minute you need to change the source. Im using this plugin as my project to learn C# so its a lots of small steps at a time.
    If I need to modify strings.xml then im starting to think that this may need to be commited into the main CVS tree at some point as I am already changing the fonts.xml to enable extra characters. I have tried to keep the plugin sandboxed so it doesnt effect too many outside (main) files. I think this may be a long way off.....

Hi Egon,

Thanks for the reply! Maybe you could make the button label configurable within the mystocks.xml file for now? I tried changing the following section, but it only changed the label within the MyStocks module, not the initial button label.

Code:
    <control>
    <type>label</type>
    <description>My Stocks text label</description>
    <id>1</id>
    <posX>160</posX>
    <posY>78</posY>
    <label>Check the STOCK QUOTES</label>
    <font>font16</font>
    <textcolor>ffffffff</textcolor>
    </control>

Maybe you could make the above control the button text as well?

Regards,
    Aaron

I see where you are coming from....will have a look at the code when I get in tonite....

Egon

egonspengleruk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    I have just uploaded the latest version.

New Stuff
    =======
    Error messages are now cleared
    Plugin name is now configurable via the Plugin menu in Configuration.exe

To Do
    =======
    Fix remote control issues - which is going to be awkard as I dont have one...and my test MP server doesnt respond to my keyboard for unknown reason.
    Sort out the Stocks list box to allow reordering of items. Nosed around the site and several other modules need this code...so might work on that one.
    Progress bar. Was trying to ignore the fact that the progress bars dont progress.....personally im happy with it as is it as it shows the plugin is downloading stuff. Low priority.
    New stock pictures. Personally I find the current ones hard to read...so may change data source to find better ones.

Is there anything else folks want?

Egon

civikdude

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    U.S.A.
    egonspengleruk said:
    Plugin name is now configurable via the Plugin menu in Configuration.exe

Awesome!! I will try this out shortly...

egonspengleruk said:
    Progress bar. Was trying to ignore the fact that the progress bars dont progress.....personally im happy with it as is it as it shows the plugin is downloading stuff. Low priority.

Maybe you could use the "spinning wheel" from the MyWeather module to indicate that something is happening.

egonspengleruk said:
    Fix remote control issues - which is going to be awkard as I dont have one...and my test MP server doesnt respond to my keyboard for unknown reason.

Use the keyboard's arrow keys to simulate remote control. Oh wait, your keyboard's busted. Do you need us to send you a new one? :lol:

egonspengleruk said:
    Is there anything else folks want?

Ability to make graph fullscreen!! Either via 'x' key or mouse click (same as keyboard right-arrow to highlight, then Enter key).

Regards,
    Aaron

egonspengleruk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    No new work on it at the minute. Having trouble since MP switched over to Visual C# Express Edition as its stopped me using the latest source until I get that up and running.

egonspengleruk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    New version for you all :)

New Stuff
    =======
    I have fixed the way the code handled displaying Tickers or Company Names in the button list. This version now correctly downloads the right files so you shouldnt see that "Image not available" display again.

For some reason my Dev machine is now working properly so I can replicate the remote control problems with the keyboard.....but dont know how to fix it. All the source is included in the download file so if anyone has a couple of minutes? Im sure its going to be nice and simple :)

Egon

egonspengleruk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Latest and greatest just put up.
    Now you can move around the screen with the remote control. Pressing left when you are in the Ticker buttons takes you down to the Refresh and Range Select buttons

cool71

Portal Pro
    October 16, 2005
    Germany: Stuttgart
    Hi Egon,

downloading the stock rates and graphs seems now OK. Remote control is also working.

I tested on my PC with RC 0.2 but on my media center with 0.1.3 your new version is not working. Did you change anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom