Streaming Recorded TV Shows From MCE to Media Portal (1 Viewer)

Sharakk

February 6, 2006
First let me say I just ran across this program and I think I may be switching to Media Portal in the near future. However I am having a problem I am hoping someone else may have a solution to. What I am trying to do till I can switch is stream my content from my main MCE 2005 PC in my living room to my Media Portal PC which is in my room. I have shared my Video and Recorded TV folders on my MCE to the DVD Menu in the Media Portal Settings and My Xvid/Divx Movies and Music Videos Stream with no problem at all. However I can't seem to get my Recorded Tv shows (dvr-ms I think) to stream without major stuttering. My Media Portal system is:

Atholon 1.7 mhz processor, ATI 8500 Radeon (128 mb ram), Over a gig of PC 2700 Ram, 120 gig HD. Netgear 108 mbps internal network card.

My wireless router is a Netgear 108 mbps A+G Router (Currently only using G)

I am not interested in watching live tv in my room I only want to be able to watch my movies,videos and Recorded TV on the system above. So If anyone has any ideas of a solution to stop the stuttering I would really appreciate it. Also Is there a way to point my recorded folder on my MCE to MY TV instead of MY Video in Media Portal.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Itll most likely depend on the actual throughput of the wireless system, not the theoretical numbers they produce. We have a 125mb Belkin system here and using it to stream it 2-way (client->wireless->client) over the wireless is only just enough to keep it smooth.

Streaming it one way (client -> wireless -> wired -> client) is plenty fast and is perfect. It seems that it maxes out for us around 4.5mb/sec which would equate to 2.25mb/sec when moving data 2-ways.

As far as working out, SDTV would come out at approxately 1.5-1.8mb/sec (might have worked it out wrong though).

Id suggest connecting both computers together with cat5 first to just elimate another possible factors and see if it still stutters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom