MusicMan62

Portal Pro
November 2, 2010
Frome, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
I've just upgraded to 1.4 from 1.3 and am experiencing a stutter problem after resume. Everything works fine from initial entry into MP but once I wake from standby all video streams (TV, Recorded TV and Video) all stutter. This can be fixed by restarting MP (reboot of PC not needed).

I have attached logs (using DEBUG mode) which shows a working stream, standby, resume, failing stream.

I also looked at the frame info using SHIFT-1 and noted the following differences:

Good stream: VMR9 49.71 jitter 1
Bad stream: VMR9 23.72 jitter 21

Why would my fps halve after a resume?

The immediate solution would be to set MP to reboot after resume but this option has been removed in 1.4.

Steps to Reproduce:
Watch live TV, enter standby, resume, Watch live TV and it then stutters.

MusicMan62

Portal Pro
November 2, 2010
Frome, UK
Home Country
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem or if the developers have managed to reproduce it?

It's a solid failure for me, happens every time I come out of standby. I have written a batch program to kill MP on sleep and restart MP on wakeup which fixes the problem, but it's not an elegant solution and extends my resume boot time. It's shown below for anyone that's interested.

Code:
@echo off
if %1 == wakeup goto wakeup

:standby
taskkill /f /im mediaportal.exe
goto end

:wakeup
c:
cd \Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
start MediaPortal.exe

:end

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I reported this behaviour some years ago, it affected ATI cards I used and as most devs used NV cards nothing found

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...r-powersave-s1-s3-and-turn-off-monitor.99965/

Although if you read my last post in the thread you will see I found a fix with the new developing/testing dshowhelper

EnableDWMQueuedMode=1; when set to 0 (ie to run as sandard ) the problem is there again.

This is now standard in the 1.4 release so the reg setting shold be there to set I believe.

MusicMan62

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2010
    Frome, UK
    Home Country
    Thanks for the detailed background info SciDoctor, I do have an ATI MB. The reg entry is there and changing it with the released dshowhelper.dll didn't fix my problem. I also tried the v675 and v684 versions and they didn't fix it either (I did reboot after making the changes)

Back to stopping/starting MP on sleep/resume I guess :(

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Maybe it's related to XP, i'm not DWM work for it.
    Do you have possibility to test on Win7 ?

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    There is also a concern/idea that MP is initialising before the display drivers have reiinitiaised, especialy when coming out of suspend.

From my experience hibernation is worse than standby.

There is a thread looking at this for other reasons, it is beleived to be connected to manageddx

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...eated-after-resume.119910/page-3#post-1013717

@Scythe42 post at top of this page is a good read as is the rest of the thread.

Your GPU is not the best i'm afraid, the minimum I would recommend from exstensive testing is ATI HD4650 and up in the range ( a legacy pci HD5450 gives excellent results running on a pci-x bus)

MusicMan62

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2010
    Frome, UK
    Home Country
    Yes I know my system is a little dated now and I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm also running XP (don't have win7) so I'm also running out of support which is another reason to spend some money and upgrade.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I have been doing a long term test on the absolute MINIMUM for single seat tv server mp.

I have been happy for six months of test with an

AGP 4X GPU ATI HD 4650 and single core single cpu AMD XP 2400 and VISTA32 80GB IDE. and USB DVB T/T2. Old shuttle SFF SK41G

This outputs to 1080 monitor and SD and HD broadcast and blu ray plays back without any issues. LAV video and DIVX audio codec (LAV audio doesn't like non sse2 cpu's with monumental cpu usage, DIVX no problem)

My electricity bill has been much much cheaper also.

Your set up only needs about 20-30 GBP spent on a new GPU and it will be smooth a silk.

Last edited:

MusicMan62

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2010
    Frome, UK
    Home Country
    Thanks for advice SciDoctor. I bought a budget Graphics card, a Radeon HD 6450 and updated the drivers to the latest but it still behaves the same. The framerate drops after a wakeup. Maybe it's an XP thing as Sebastiii suggests.

I also tried changing the EnableDWMQueuedMode flag but it made no difference either.

Are Developers looking into this?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Are Developers looking into this?

No, because support for XP ended with 1.4.0 - it's an 'unsupported OS' in the upcoming 1.5.0 release.

Although 1.4.0 runs on XP, the changes to the video rendering and device handling code in 1.4.0 mean it probably isn't the 'best' version to run on XP - I'd stay with 1.3.0 if that works well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom