Stutter after resume (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes your original hardware was definitely too slow for 576i Live TV. HD6450 is a good budget choice, but as owlsroost suggested XP is an unknown variable with the recent versions of MP

Use the following settings
    LAV = DXVA 2 Native
    MP Renderer = VMR9 (bc you are on XP)
    Video card = Turn off deblocking, denoise, edge enhancement, dynamic colour, all enhancements, etcetc.

If still stutter install SAF (unlocked version), choose different h264 codec, eg. PDVD, ensure you enable dxva2 native in pdvd.

If still stutter then format PC, reinstall with minimal drivers, minimal software + MP + SAF. Try each h264 codec starting with LAC/PDVD. ensure you are using dxva2 native mode + VMR9.

Sometimes when you change GPU the old drivers interfere with the new ones. (Have seen people with issues that only resolve with a driver cleaner, eg. boot safe mode, remove drivers, run driver cleaner, reboot, reinstall drivers OR format).

PS. I know that some of those AGP video cards are buggy with DXVA. Not sure which ones though. But if you are running the same card as SciDr, it should be ok (atleast in vista/w7)

Last edited:

MusicMan62

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2010
    Frome, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the extra info kiwijunglist, I forgot about the LAV settings. I played around with those but whatever I did the stutter after resume still occurs.

However I have discovered a much better fix for this and it should give a clue as to what the bug is.

If I have firefox running in the background the stuttering never happens and all is well. Starting firefox will also cure the stuttering mode, ie if I wake up the PC (without firefox running) the TV stutters, if I then start firefox all is well and the fps is back to 50.

If any developers want some logs before and after firefox running then just shout and I'll post them. I realise XP is no longer supported but a bug is a bug and it may roll into other problems down the line. Also this never happened to me with earlier releases.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    From my understanding the 6450 was a rebaged previous generation 5xxx or 4xxx series card and not up to much performance wise.

Some ATI drivers had agressive powersaving that would need an app to start to enable full power of the GPU and if this did not happen agressive VSYNC would enable giving half the refresh rate. Which is what I experienced with underpowered cards.

Although badged as a newer card/generation the 6450 is much less powerful than the 4650.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    if biying new and on a tight budget i think the 6450 is the only choice. 6570 6670 7750 are nicer but cost more. do you think we shouldnt recccomend the 6450 to those with very little to spend? what do u think we shpuld reccomend around this price?

as far as agp goes i wouldnt reccommend any card. i would reccomend a new cpu a6-5400k and mb and ram.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The 6450 is marginal better than the HD4000 inside Intel GPUs. It comes in various flavours. The usual 35 EUR variants are meant to be put into machines that don't have an acceptable integrated GPU. For everthing else it is worthless. For a basic HTPC is is acceptable.

It is a dedicated GPU that repacked an integrated GPU for cheap upgrades. Not related to 5xxx or 4xxx series beside it was created to replace the HD5450. The pure doubling of shaders with way lower clock speeds did not really pull it off. It consumes about 1w less than a HD5450. That's still about 19W, which is huge for such a low end card with low clock speeds. This design was not continued by AMD in the following years.

But as said, still an OK option if you really need something as cheap as possible for an existing system.

For the original problem, giving XP the boot is probably the best choice...

Last edited:

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    if biying new and on a tight budget i think the 6450 is the only choice. 6570 6670 7750 are nicer but cost more. do you think we shouldnt recccomend the 6450 to those with very little to spend? what do u think we shpuld reccomend around this price?

as far as agp goes i wouldnt reccommend any card. i would reccomend a new cpu a6-5400k and mb and ram.

If buying a new PC that is a good choice but for an existing solid AGP system then the HD4650 is a NO Brain-er ( ALL ATI CCC video processing is available ) for about £30 - £ 45 against £200+.

I am though looking at an M-ITX board to custom fit into an old Shuttle SFF aluminum chassis and will probably go that route (cpu a6-5400k and mb and ram)

kazooless

Portal Member
    November 22, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Doing a search for this behavior, I found this thread. I have a new PC built with an Intel MB, Core i3 3220T (2.8GHz), 4GB RAM, ATI 6450 and Windows 7 32-bit running MP 1.4. I also get the bad video every time I wake from sleep, but I usually need to reboot the entire PC to resolve the issue. I ran a full virus scan with updated defs from a recovery boot disk and found nothing.

If interested in my particular problem, I can post logs, but need refresher as to how to get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom