Stutter on BBC HD only (1 Viewer)

JonHancock

Portal Member
December 17, 2007
All,
I believe this is an ATI problem. Anyone not running ATI?

I'm running a new HD3650, bought especially for the World cup. ITV HD is perfect, but BBC HD stutters. :mad:

tom16,

Would it be possible to post a minute or two of your older recordings somewhere. I'd be interested to check that there is nothing else wrong with my setup.

Cheers,
Jon.

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    All,

I'm running a new HD3650, bought especially for the World cup. ITV HD is perfect, but BBC HD stutters. :mad:

@Tom16,

Would it be possible to post a minute or two of your older recordings somewhere. I'd be interested to check that there is nothing else wrong with my setup.

Cheers,
    Jon.

I don't believe it is driver issue.

I have an NVidia 8500GT with the latest drivers and am using SAF PDVD9 codec to watch TV. With this combo I experience stutter on BBC HD but not on any of the other channels (HD/SD). If I switch to the "Microsoft DTV-DVD Decoder" (WIn7), I don't have the stutter. So, I'm pretty certain it is related to the PDVDx cocec in relation with the changed stream characteristics of BBC HD (I believe they went over to using VBR).

I contacted Hoborg by PM and he advised me to upgrade to SAF5 to see if the problem was still there as SAF5 now incorporates the PDVD10 codec. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. The stuttering remains and I know even get some pixelation on top. :(

Hoborg suggested me to wait until a new update of the PDVD10 codec is released and check if this solved the problem.

Currently, I have switched to the "Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder".

Peter

tom16

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am using an ATI card as well... Updated to the latest drivers yesterday which made no difference. But if it's happening to NVidia folks as well doesn't look like it's that.

I haven't got the 'Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder' in my Vista setup, but will try it on my Win7 install tomorrow.

JonHancock One minute of Doctor Who from 10th April can be found in the zip file here. Apologies for the watermark, only software I could get my hands on to cut the file down was a trial. Think some quality may have been lost in the process, but hopefully it will still prove the point that your system is otherwise ok and you're in the same boat as the rest of us.

I noticed that the .ts files since the BBC HD switch to VBR are quite a bit smaller (~1Gb an hour less!).

tom16

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    As per everyone else, all is ok in Win 7 with the Microsoft codecs and most recent ATI drivers. So at least it'll be ok for me when I get round to finish setting up my Win 7 install...

JonHancock

Portal Member
    December 17, 2007
    Can't believe i've just ordered windows 7 to fix this! Oh well, about time I upgraded I suppose. I'm guessing the microsoft codec will show up in mediaportal without any problem?

tom16, thanks for the file, played without a problem.

Cheers,
    Jon.

tom16

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    I hope it works for you too then!

Indeed, the Microsoft codecs were in MP as soon as it was installed. I set everything to use them.

feriso

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2008
    FYI my other Win7 just uses the std codecs that are used on installation and I have an 8800GT in that machine (nVidia)

A curious one here, I do wonder why the change to VBR had caused this; surely the decoders have seen VBR streams before?

BT any idea when that update to the PDVD codec is coming?

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Core i3 here and also stuttering on BBC HD with PDVD10 codec. No problem with Microsoft codec (and Arcsoft).

Don't want to spoil the fun here... but I did some further checking... :(

I installed a standalone copy PDVD10 on my (XP) workstation and started viewing the BBC HD *.ts stream I was having difficulty with. Within PDVD10 it ran fine without any stutter. I checked the codec versions, and they were identical to the ones used on my MP machine.
    So, it seems to be related to the combination of PDVD10 codec within MP.

I'll do some more testing later on to rule out the XP as OS case and try installing PDVD10 on a Win7.

Peter

JonHancock

Portal Member
    December 17, 2007
    Well, Windows 7 and the Microsoft codecs fixed it. Also using the 4TR argus tuner for my DVBS-2 card as it seems a little smoother. Might just be my perception though.

System rebuilt just in time for the BBQ this weekend with a load of friends coming to watch the big match. May the best team win, as long as it's England. :D

Cheers for the assistance all. :D

Jon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom