Stuttering/Corruption in OTA TV after random period of time (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, that's interesting.
    So no signal splitting, and no joiners/extenders either?

Your TV handling the signal doesn't mean the HVR-1600 will too. Sensitivity varies from tuner to tuner. It is possible that the HVR-1600 needs stronger or better quality signal than the TV.
    Could you try the Hauppauge Digital Signal Monitor software and let us know what it reports:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_digital_signal_monitor.html

Also, if you have Hauppauge's WinTV or any other TV software installed, could you confirm whether the problem is a MediaPortal/TV Server only thing or occurs with any software you try (?).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome Trafiken! :)

My problem was that the TV antenna signal was too strong. 0% signal level is as bad as 100% signal level.
    This is my first post and i hope I did some good.
    Yep, it is true that signal can be too strong. Good point. :)

I found that a signal level between 50% and 80% is optimal.
    I note that the optimal signal characteristics will vary from tuner to tuner.

jickler

Portal Member
    March 2, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, it's been a really busy weekend.

The digital signal monitor reported a strong signal, which was to be expected given what we saw about my signal strength in the logs.

I couldn't install the WinTV software. Some genius at Hauppauge decided to make installation require the original disc that came with the tuner, and I picked up this tuner secondhand on eBay. I did install NextPVR, and even though I didn't experience corruption or stuttering after several hours, that could easily be coincidental given the random nature of my problem.

Trafiken's suggestion is interesting because the antenna I'm using actually has a powered signal booster attached to it. I've just unplugged the signal booster and I'm going to see what happens when my girlfriend tries to watch Revenge and Cosmos tonight. Hopefully it works because otherwise she's going to skin me :p

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    since you are in the US you can use www.tvfool.com/ to get some idea of the signal strength at your location. You can enter your zipcode or better is your street address to see direction and how far you are from the stations. You could be seeing multipath, reflections, in the old analog days this would be ghost images. In my location moving my antenna 1-2 feet left, right makes a difference.

jickler

Portal Member
    March 2, 2014
    Home Country
    Since removing the booster about a week ago I've experienced significantly fewer issues. I think we can go ahead and tentatively mark this thread as solved. Thanks for the great help and support everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom