Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2 (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just a quick update - the '200ms' pause issue is being investigated, but we don't really understand why it seems to be a problem in MP 1.2.x but not in 1.1.3 (the TsReader 'pausing' code was introduced in 1.1.x). Also my own system doesn't have the problem so investigation/testing is difficult....

Hopefully I'll post a new 'noStopMod' TsReader version soon with some experimental mods to try ;)

Tony

glenn 1990

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    For some reason, live tv is very smooth the last days.
    I only did 2 things, updated video drivers and added a small mod to the 4tr client.

Are the clock(s) on video cards hardware based(xtal) or can they depend from driver to driver?

The mod I did has something todo with the zapping behaviour from tsreader,see this small code example:
    Code:
    g_Player.OnZapping(0x80);
    TvControlAgent.TuneLiveStream(currentAndNext.Channel, ref liveStream);
    g_Player.OnZapping(-1);

With this g_Player.OnZapping(-1), I get this in my tsreader log.
    "Unexpected LiveTV PAT change due to provider, update m_ReqPatVersion to new PAT version : 2"
    So I just removed it, and everything seems fine. Can this be the cause?

Added a log from serveral hours live tv without a single pause.

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

Just a quick update - the '200ms' pause issue is being investigated, but we don't really understand why it seems to be a problem in MP 1.2.x but not in 1.1.3 (the TsReader 'pausing' code was introduced in 1.1.x). Also my own system doesn't have the problem so investigation/testing is difficult....

Hopefully I'll post a new 'noStopMod' TsReader version soon with some experimental mods to try

Tony

Good to hear that. We discussed this issue meanwhile also in the german forum and FloMan has edited the TSReader.ax and removed the pause-function.

The patch from him is available here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv-streaming-480/mepo-1-2-und-ruckler-bei-tv-tsreader-log-zeigt-dabei-pause-200ms-renderer-100874/index4.html

If you would like to crosscheck.

I went from 1.1 final to 1.2.1 and I can say that stuttering did not occur in 1.1. I could see 200ms "error" in the logs in 1.1, but they came up not so often as they do now... - as I said before.

What I can see right now - with the patch - is that there come up a "picture error" some minutes after changing the channel...

I don´t know and I´m not sure, but I think that this 200 ms pause is not the root cause of that whole problem. As I said before, in earlier versions, there wasn´t such a problem with stuttering and picture errors...

What we mentined also is that this Issue does not come up, if we look in the timeshift-buffer. The "recored" content shows not the stuttering. So there must be something wrong in the presentation of the live-stream itself...

So the question I´m telling (me) is, why occurs stuttering on the live-stream and not on the recorded content. What´s the root cause of this. And why do they come up so often in the 1.2 er versions...?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    For some reason, live tv is very smooth the last days.
    I only did 2 things, updated video drivers and added a small mod to the 4tr client.

Are the clock(s) on video cards hardware based(xtal) or can they depend from driver to driver?

The mod I did has something todo with the zapping behaviour from tsreader,see this small code example:
    Code:
    g_Player.OnZapping(0x80);
    TvControlAgent.TuneLiveStream(currentAndNext.Channel, ref liveStream);
    g_Player.OnZapping(-1);

With this g_Player.OnZapping(-1), I get this in my tsreader log.
    "Unexpected LiveTV PAT change due to provider, update m_ReqPatVersion to new PAT version : 2"
    So I just removed it, and everything seems fine. Can this be the cause?

Added a log from serveral hours live tv without a single pause.

I don't think this is the cause - removing it will probably affect the timing of what happens when inside TsReader.ax, so the amount of data initially buffered might be different - it's hard to know for sure.

Note that MP TV plugin doesn't do what the 4TR plugin is doing - the second call to 'g_Player.OnZapping()' is normally used to tell TsReader what type of tuner is in use - negative numbers mean 'cancel the wait for new PAT/PMT' (in the case of analog tuner or a failed tune request), so 4TR shouldn't be doing this with a sucessful digital tuning request.

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

So the question I´m telling (me) is, why occurs stuttering on the live-stream and not on the recorded content. What´s the root cause of this. And why do they come up so often in the 1.2 er versions...?

We don't know why the pauses seem to be more frequent with 1.2.x

They won't happen with recorded content because TsReader should never run out of data.

They happen with Live TV because TsReader can run out of data when the PC render clock runs faster than the broadcaster clock.

Tony

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Note that MP TV plugin doesn't do what the 4TR plugin is doing - the second call to 'g_Player.OnZapping()' is normally used to tell TsReader what type of tuner is in use - negative numbers mean 'cancel the wait for new PAT/PMT' (in the case of analog tuner or a failed tune request), so 4TR shouldn't be doing this with a sucessful digital tuning request.

This is exactly why all people whould use bare / vanilla MP when they report bugs to us. We have no clue what the 3rd party plugins do.

Coolie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2010
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I am facing a similar problem as the previous posters:

since 1.2 RC1 recording playback freezes at random points (but always at the same file position in each recording). Apparently errors in the TS file if I interpret the log files correctly. Live TV is not showing any such behaviour, playback of any other file type works. In some of the recorded TS files there is no such error and the defective files play back flawlessly in VLC.

I am not sure whether this can be fixed via TSREADER.ax as well, I tried several versions without a change... but what I tried successfully was running ProjectX over the file which reported a few fixed parts, but the file plays back fine afterwards in RECORDED TV.

I am running a server/client setup (each AMD E-350) connected via GBit, but that is definitely not the problem. There are no performance flaws whatsoever and sometimes I can observe these freezes in shows which were recorded twice (to subsequent shows on the same station, if the error appears in the overlapping part of the two recordings it can be observed in both recordings at the very same position.

Any idea how I can fix this issue? I would see two solutions:

* either avoid the problems in the recorded streams (no idea how, reception should be quite ok, happens under good and bad weather conditions and with several Terratec drivers)
    * or make the playbeck less sensitive for the errors (if VLC can play back the files, also MP should be able to do so, right?)

Thanks in advance!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Coolie, you problems aren't related to live tv -> please open a separate thread to talk about those.

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello everybody,

what I can say right now is that stuttering does not occur any more when using the "patch". But instead of freezing I receive picture errors which you can see while watching tv...

Merry Christmas to everybody

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom