Stuttering on Live TV when running backups on my server (2 Viewers)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have a multiseat setup with MePo 1.10 final (but this occurred on older versions also) with a WHS2011 as the TV- and fileserver. The server is scheduled to run daily incremental backups of all my windows client PCs, including the HTPC.
    I use a imdisk RAMDisk as timeshiftbuffer with UNC paths. Working fine all the time except when backups are running, no matter from which client PC (does not have to be the HTPC). Network connection is wired Gigabit LAN, the Server itself is writing the backups to a Drive Bender pooled storage. As soon as backups are finished - no problem with stuttering on live TV anymore, when backups are running Live TV is unusable.
    Attached my server logs. Backup times where scheduled to run between 6 and 9 pm until yesterday, changed that to 4 to 6 pm today....

Any ideas on how to approach this?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You can't, unless you can get the disk I/O low enough that it doesn't influence the stream.
    I've got the exact same problem here. Solved that simply by scheduling the backups at night. Also the Acronis Managed Machine Service (that handles the backups) does a poll on ALL your HDDs every 20 minutes. Took me a long time to figure out why it started stuttering every now and then.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why is this? For example, when my notebook's backup is running, it only has a WiFi-Connection with a Connection Speed of 300 MBit at best, realistic values are transfer rates of about 3-5 MByte/s via the WiFi. This should not max disk I/O as well as the wired connections (which have transfer rates of more thann 100 MByte/s). Write speed over Network to the Server's pooled drive is at least 50 MByte/s, so why is there a bottleneck which renders TV unusable (watching video files is no problem, though) even when the Timeshift buffer is on a RAMDisk?

Scheduling backups to run at night would be a solution, but the client PCs are not running at night, so they'd never would be backed up unless I schedule wakeups, which I don't want to.

No other solutions?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Why is this?
    I can't answer that question. :(
    LiveTV / recordings seems very sensitive to this.

Some additional info on Disk I/O can be found here:
    http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2011/02/10/understanding-disk-i-o-when-should-you-be-worried

my acronis service is only running for a split second (every 20 minutes), but that's enough to create artifacts in my recordings (and sometimes glitches on LiveTV.
    I've got my data on my server, on 2 RAID5 setup (which should lower the disk I/O significant).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom