Subtitles and dxva (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    As far as I can tell, you can also get that info from the output pin on the splitter. But only one connection is possible from a pin, so maybe I need to make some kind of filter that repeats the input stream from a splitter to multiple output pins. Or have the subtitle filter do that. Somewhat like Vobsub, but with the difference that it is placed between the splitter and the decoder instead of the decoder and the renderer.

If someone has some info about the things you suggested, I would be happy to hear about it.

Interfaces for Video Rendering and Overlay Those interfaces should be available without needing to connect a pin to the filter.

1) enumerate thru the graph to find correct filter (video renderer in this case)
    2) query for the wanted interface
    3) use interface

sonix1977nl

Portal Member
    June 10, 2008
    Thanks tourettes for the information.

When the output pin from my test filter is connected to the input pin of another filter I do the following:
    - Get the filter of the input pin I am connecting to.
    - Try to get the IBasicVideo interface from the filter. If it does not support that interface I fail.
    - Query the video width and height from IBasicVideo.
    - Use that width and height to play the whole GetMediaType, CheckMediaType, etc. game.

So now I have my test filter indeed rendering at the same resolution as the video itself.

My test filter is a source filter that creates an alpha bitmap with the background some transparent blue and some text that changes over time (long live the Lorem Ipsum generators on the internet for creating some nonsense text ;)). Because the video is still showing, but with a blue transparent window over it with some non-transparent text, I know the thing is working. Checking the CPU usage between DXVA enabled and disabled I can also verify that DXVA works.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    @sonix

Don't forget the ffdshow subtitle filter for your test.
    This filter could be a good alternative to vsfilter.
    We hope for an internal sub engine maybe for Media Portal 2.0. :D

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm a big noob in the directshow filter department but isn't there already a subtitle filter in mediaportal that does exactly the same.. but for HDTV (TSReader and some subtitle filter?). Maybe that one can be adopted to work with other formats as well (change the source for the subtitles from TS stream to file?). If you don't know what i'm talking about and you have HDTV channels (with subs) just watch the graph (connect to remote graph) as you have the channel playing and you can see it in action.

sonix1977nl

Portal Member
    June 10, 2008
    From what I have seen, the My TV part has an internal subtitle renderer for DVB. The subtitle formats used in many movies on the internet are far more complex than those. There is probably a reason why VobSub is still the one and only fully fledged subtitle renderer. ;) And I would prefer a DirectShow filter based solution, because that is reusable in many more projects than Mediaportal alone.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    From what I have seen, the My TV part has an internal subtitle renderer for DVB. The subtitle formats used in many movies on the internet are far more complex than those. There is probably a reason why VobSub is still the one and only fully fledged subtitle renderer. ;) And I would prefer a DirectShow filter based solution, because that is reusable in many more projects than Mediaportal alone.

Actually the DVB subtitle format is much more complex than the text based used in "internet releases" :) What is more complex on the non-DVB subtile types is the vast amount of different formats.

sonix1977nl

Portal Member
    June 10, 2008
    From what I have seen of the specs of ASS alone, they can be used for special effects and stuff. Not only that, all colors and shading and stuff can be specified. It looked daring to create it all from scratch. ;) But I'll believe your word on it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom