Subtitles require period immediately after movie name (1 Viewer)

BennTech

Portal Member
February 8, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Seems like someone forgot to crop the period from the filename when subtitles got rebuilt for MP 1.2 because subtitles now require a period immediately after the matching movie filename. E.g.,

The Human Centipede.mp4
The Human Centipede.English for Non-English Only.srt (works)
The Human Centipede.SP.srt (works)
The Human Centipede FR.srt (fails because it has a space instead of a period)
The Human Centipede-Klingon.srt (fails because it has a dash instead of a period)
"FR" and "Klingon" fail because they do not have a period immediately after the movie name, even though the actual filename without the period is an exact match. These filenames used to work in previous MP versions.

MediaPortal Version: 1.2 Final
MediaPortal Skin: DefaultWide
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: Intel Quad-Core i7 920 2.66GHz
HDD: Seagate 250GB & WD 750GB
Memory: Mushkin 3x1GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
Video Card: nVidia GTX 460
Video Card Driver: nVidia GeForce v275.33
Sound Card: ADI AD2000B 8-channel HD (onboard)
Sound Card AC3: optical out
Sound Card Driver: SoundMAX v5.10.1.6520
1. TV Card: Hauppage HVR-2250
1. TV Card Type: ATSC
1. TV Card Driver: Hauppauge v7.9.1.28162
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow-tryouts rev3940
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow-tryouts rev3940 and ACFilter v1.63b
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow-tryouts rev3940 with PureVideo v1.02.233
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Zalman HTC HD160 Plus
Cooling: Scythe SCMNJ-1100
Power Supply: Corsair 1000HX
Remote: iMON via Harmony One (THANK YOU IRSS!!!)
TV: LG 55LH90
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Tested and confirmed.

When replacing a subtitles ".Dutch.srt" with " Dutch.srt" it doesnt work anymore..

BUT, I wonder if this is a bug or done on purpose..
Subtitle downloader autmotacially DL subtitles in the correct format.

[BUG] or [FEATURE] ??? Who is to anwser? @tourettes ?

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    I think it's feature, it was design like this for a while but log could be nice too.
    @BennTech can you supply log and what subtitle engine did you use ?

Just to be just you explain 'period' = a dot ?
    Thanks.

BennTech

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Wow. This is old. I'd forgotten about this because I went through the PITA of renaming all my subtitles (but that doesn't mean other users or future subtitles won't have the same problem).

I'm using the built-in MPC-HC subtitle renderer.

No, it has not been like this "for a while". It started with v1.2.3. All prior versions did not require the period (technically that's a period, even though people also refer to it as dot). I know because I had many movies labeled without a period delimiter.

I think the last two examples above that don't delimit with a period are perfectly acceptable. Those are not "wrong", they're just a different way to do it--a way that used to work. Why are we now forcing everyone to specifically use a period? And why a period instead of any other delimiter? Seems arbitrary. And why should we need a delimiter at all? The criteria has always been if first part of subtitle matches the filename, and it does, i.e., "The Human Centipede", which is the filename. The period is part of the extension.

If you know anything about programming, you know how easy it is to be off by one byte when counting characters in a string. This is especially true when you're dealing with functions that automatically parse filename and extension--when you parse, is the extension string ".ext" or just "ext"? So when you truncate the extension off the full name, are you truncating 4 characters or just 3?

Seems to me someone changed 1.2.3 to truncate just "ext", incorrectly leaving the period on the filename.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I didn't test before 1.2.3, and that part of code is c++, i can supply you the link of source and maybe you can help to fix it ?
    I don't know if it happen too on MPC-HC soft, if i remember correctly, source code was updated from MPC-HC source code for 1.2.3 version, so maybe MPC-HC change the rules and we simply relay on that :).
    That need testing but if you can nail down on what commit version it happen :)

btw, can you supply your full log ? please.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have just tested on MPC-HC player :
    Around the World in 80 Days.mkv
    Around the World in 80 Days.subtitle-french1.srt (dot) --> work (detected as 'subtitle-french1')
    Around the World in 80 Days subtitle-french2.srt (space) --> don't work
    Around the World in 80 Days-subtitle-french3.srt (-) --> work (detected as '-subtitle-french3')
    The auto match for language didn't work.

In MediaPortal :
    It detect only :
    Around the World in 80 Days.subtitle-french1.srt (dot) --> work (detected as 'subtitle-french1')
    Around the World in 80 Days-subtitle-french3.srt (-) --> work (detected as 'Around the World in 80 Days-subtitle-french3')

So i would say, we match 1:1 (except the name detected) with MPC-HC player :)

And to get a correct detection of language, the best is to rename subtitle with the period + language :)
    If you want another behaviour, best is to provide a patch to submit :)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom