Such a thing as 100% Perfect playback ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Reynolds

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Been using Mediaportal for a year now, fantastic product :) been using it as my only source of TV for 6 months.

But is a 100% perfect playback possible or am I just missing something.

issues:

Dropped Frames: What causes this, and what is classed as acceptable is 20 in an hour too many.

When people move sometimes you can sometimes see the movement as well the best way to describe it slow motion (Hope that made sense).

I have been using a Nvidia GT430 along with my system specs, for most of the time, but upgraded to a GT640 yesterday in an attempt to solve these remaining issues. The card has helped, but I still see these slight issues, am I just been too picky ?

Config:

I am using Mediaportal 1.3 Beta, With the latest LAV Filters and the Mediaportal Audio Renderer:

LAV Video:

lavvid.png

On screen Diags:

stats.jpg

LAV Audio:

lavaud.png

TV Codecs:

codecs.png

Mediaportal Audio Renderer:

mpar.png

Am I just over diagnosing everything, or would these be classed as normal ?

Dave.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    AIUI dropped frames are where it the system can not output frames fast enough. This can happen for a number of reasons (underpowered GPU, slow hard drive, high system load / contention ... )

Then you have TV. This in itself can be an issue, there can be issues in the TV stream itself.

They are not an issue in themselves and displaying the stats can cause additional load and lead to dropped frames that would not be dropped without the stats showing. If you are seeing glitches then this is an issue.

I get dropped frames when I change channel but not when watching TV.

The issue with movement is likely to be de-interlacing. Your new card should perform better here and it may be worth playing with the LAV de-interlacing settings.

Also search for the experimental dshowhelper by @Owlsroost this might also help

Dave Reynolds

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I've monitored the system and CPU does not go over 20-25%, I will have a look at the GPU stats, Hard disk is a SSD drvie Sata 3 so hopefully this would not cause any issues, I will look at that also.

I see what your saying about the on screen stats, it does happen then, although I take a note of the dropped frames in diag mode watch TV for an hour then re-check, usually 4-5 are added.

May be I've spent too long trying to sort this and the issues are not really issues, just that I spend more time looking at the image instead of the program :LOL: add probably never noticed issues like this pre-mediaportal with a normal set top box.

I will look at the dshowhelper too, thanks for the tip.

As far as de-interlacing goes, I think i've tried every LAV combination now, maybe it's time to just sit back and watch tv and stop diagnoising everything!

Thanks for the advice :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Since your using nvidia, you should try setting to CUDA rather than DXVA2. 5 dropped frames per hour (180,000 frames) is fine, and wouldn't be noticeable.

Last edited:

Dave Reynolds

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi,

I have used the Cuda settings intensively, but output is worse than DXVA which i find stange myself ?

Just reading up on dshowhelper sounds interesting :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Did you try MP AudioRenderer TimeStetch? Might help a bit.

It could help depending on the source of the issue (it could be bad signal and then it wont change anything). Of course unles the broadcaster's clock is running slower than the audio HW clock in the PC, in which case the timestrecth will make things only worser.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It sounds like he doesn't really have any issues with playback apart from a very rare vague "sometimes when people move you see movement" problem.

Graph looks perfect and he has no problems with dropped frames. I'm thinking it may be the occasional glitch you get if a heavy background process occasionally locks up the cpu for half a second or so.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It sounds like he doesn't really have any issues with playback apart from a very rare vague "sometimes when people move you see movement" problem.

Those are usually caused by bad signal. Please check TsWriter and TsReader logs for discontinuity errors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom