sudden complication watching recorded TV (1 Viewer)

koesterkm

Portal Member
September 6, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
When I try to watch Recorded TV, MP is having trouble these past few days. Instead of giving me my list of recorded shows, it indicates a problem finding the "IP address or Host Name of the Master TV Service." My Computer Name is listed as the current setting. I didn't change anything, so I don't know why that is suddenly insufficient.
My log folder is zipped and attached. My computer knowledge is not spectacular, so please give detailed steps for anything you need me to do to try to resolve this problem.
Thanks, Kvn

Attachments

• log (2).zip
    972.4 KB

koesterkm

Portal Member
September 6, 2015
Home Country
Here are screenshots of the issue, in case they help[ determine the problem and/or solution.
#1 appears after a pause, every time I click on Recorded TV.
#2 appears if I click on Change. But I don't know what to change it to, nor even why it should be changed.
#3 is the message I get when I click Done.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Kvn

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.jpg
    Screenshot 1.jpg
    493 KB
  • Screenshot 2.jpg
    Screenshot 2.jpg
    379.5 KB
  • Screenshot 3.jpg
    Screenshot 3.jpg
    421.7 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Instead of giving me my list of recorded shows, it indicates a problem finding the "IP address or Host Name of the Master TV Service."
    I don't know what is causing your problem, but I would suggest the following as possible causes:

(1) You are using a dynamic network address, and your "TV Server" system has now been assigned a different network address. "TV Server" must use a static IP address.

(2) There has been a Windows security update that has introduced more blocking of network addresses or ports, and the connection to "TV Server" is now blocked. You need to allow whatever network addresses and ports that "TV Server" uses.

(3) There has been an update to the antivirus software that you are using that has done the same as (2). The fix is also the same as (2).

I cannot tell you how to fix these, as I use Windows 7 with updates switched off and no antivirus (I don't connect my HTPC to the internet). Hopefully someone else can tell you what you need to check.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    I get this from time to time, never really tracked any specific cause, though I suspect a timing issue on restart after some Windows updates. When I see this screen I just press Exit (or Back, whichever you are using) then select the action again (EPG or recorded TV or whatever) and all is OK. Failing that, restart MP Client, failing that restart the PC to force a new communication between Server and Client. AS all this can be done with the remote it has become only a minor problem as I don't have to get up and find a keyboard!

koesterkm

Portal Member
    September 6, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks to CyberSimian and wjw for your replies. Unfortunately, neither one is as helpful as I need.
    It has now been nearly, or even more than, a month since I've been able to use MP. Not only can I not watch recorded TV, but I also cannot access the TV guide or do anything else in the TV section of the program (perhaps other sections are also not working, but I never use them, so I don't know).
    I'm able to watch my already recorded programs using WinTV, and MP continues to record according to the already set schedule. But I'm not able to change that schedule. New shows are starting tonight, and I can't add them to my recording schedule.
    The computer has restarted several times since my last writing, and no matter how many times I click on a button, the same error continues to pop up. Thus, wjw's suggestion isn't the solution. And if CyberSimian's answer would work, I would need somebody to give me directions to do what he suggests.
    Any other suggestions, based upon my log and screen shots posted above, would also be welcomed.
    Please help!
    Thanks, Kvn

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Having looked again at your screenshots I see that you get something I never get - so your problem is different to mine. I am going through a phase at the moment but all I do is just press the selected action again (recorded TV) and I get the right screen immediately.

The one I don't get is your screenshot3 - the one that says "Can't connect to database". This sounds pretty fundamental to me, but extremely odd as I believe that is where your recording schedule is also held - so how are you still recording? But this would certainly explain why you can't add new programs via MP Client if it can't get to the database.

Having had quick look at your logfile I so see a lot of messages saying "dvb: LockInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal" followed later by "Scheduler: stop failed record WPWR-TV 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM-8/25/2019 8:00:00 PM Penn & Teller: Fool Us". However I suspect that this a different issue to not being able to access the database.

I am not sufficiently expert on the inner workings of MP. Unless someone can read your log file and work out why you can't access the database I would suggest a re-installation using the route that allows you to retain current setting and database.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @koesterkm , although not using MP1 anymore I remember that the resolution of this problem for me consisted of either entering the computer name or the numeric IP address. Have you tried to enter your local IP (alternatively the loopback 127.0.0.1)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom