Sudoku Plugin? (1 Viewer)

Cosmo

Portal Member
October 26, 2005
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Progress being made

Just thought I'd update how this is going.

I have a simple solver now working. The plugin allows the user to enter the puzzle details and then pressing the Solve button will solve the sudoku.

Next step is get the generation of new puzzles working.

This would have been a lot faster but I wanted to actually write my own solving/generation engine (just cause its an interesting problem), and my day job has been very busy too.

Anyway hope to have an initial release soon(ish). I'll at least try and make a release of the basic solving functionality very soon anyway.

Currently restricted to the classic 9x9 (but the solving engine can cope with larger puzzles - although it may be slow on these, not yet tested).

dragongc

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
Poland
I think that in official version of MP should be more games like this (for wifes ;-)), not only tetris. Section: My games ?? My entertainment ??. What do you think

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    dragongc said:
    I think that in official version of MP should be more games like this (for wifes ;-)), not only tetris. Section: My games ?? My entertainment ??. What do you think

Look at my posting on another thread. I was trying to gather all the MP games in one spot. Well, at least in one posting.

So far it appears that there are four games being (in one stage or another) developed for Media Portal: ClickMania, TicTacToe, Tetris, & Sudoku. Plus I heard solitare is being started by barranger. At least he is starting to look at Java source code he has found.

edit: It looks like there are more developers working on MP games lately than I have seen in the short amount of time that I have been visiting MP. I believe as MP becomes a mainstream tool you will see even more developers working on games and other plugins for MP. That is all good! Current with only the four+ MP games there isn't a real need to have a new topic area only devoted to entertainment/games. I believe with later versions planned (or so I have heard) of MP you may see the ability to create your own sections and name them to your liking.

Mike

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Re: Progress being made

Cosmo said:
    Just thought I'd update how this is going.

I have a simple solver now working. The plugin allows the user to enter the puzzle details and then pressing the Solve button will solve the sudoku.

Next step is get the generation of new puzzles working.

This would have been a lot faster but I wanted to actually write my own solving/generation engine (just cause its an interesting problem), and my day job has been very busy too.

Anyway hope to have an initial release soon(ish). I'll at least try and make a release of the basic solving functionality very soon anyway.

Currently restricted to the classic 9x9 (but the solving engine can cope with larger puzzles - although it may be slow on these, not yet tested).

Thanks for the update, no preasure, take your time ;) keep up the good work.

I think you should stick to the 9x9 to because the deficoult level of them can wery from werry easy (takes 5min to solv) to werry hard (takes hours to solv).

R / tk

Cosmo

Portal Member
    October 26, 2005
    Nottingham, United Kingdom
    Making Progress

Ok - so I've got an initial release done now:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sudoku-mp

This isn't anything special yet - and don't expect to be able to play the puzzle properly yet. Just wanted to get the sourceforge project in place and get going with releases.

This has the basic UI (although the buttons down the left need thinking about a lot more yet). It will solve puzzles that are entered. You can use the remote and/or keyboard to enter data in the grid and then use the Solve button to get a solution. Note that the backspace button erases an entered value (there isn't a remote equivalent yet!). It may take some time to solve as the solver is pretty basic at the moment. But the foundation is there - next major step is to get it generating puzzles.

I'd be interested if anyone tried this.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    I thought about the following as an idea for your image? You can say you don't like it, won't hurt my feelings. It was just a simple thought, can make any mods that you want (or anyone else).

sudoku0uu.png

Mike

MrMad

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2005
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Re: Making Progress

Cosmo said:
    Ok - so I've got an initial release done now:
    Note that the backspace button erases an entered value (there isn't a remote equivalent yet!).

How about using "0" on the remote for erasing, it is used in other screens for deleting files etc.

mzemina:
    I like the idea, but I think the question mark and numbers look a bit flat.
    Or perhaps he could be holding a 3x3 grid in his hands?

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Re: Making Progress

MrMad said:
    ...mzemina:
    I like the idea, but I think the question mark and numbers look a bit flat.
    Or perhaps he could be holding a 3x3 grid in his hands?

Yes - This was just a concept, so I just typed the numbers (and question mark) instead of making them 3D. A 3x3 grid sounds good, I'll give that a try.

Note I may not be able to make a new image until this weekend. I will need to see how work is flowing today.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom