Support for new DefaultWideHD (6 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I clearly need to play around with "DefaultWideHD" a bit more! :(

I use the home screen with the vertical menu
    I didn't know there was one! :eek: I must try that to see what it is like.

set up "Exit Media Portal" from the Exit section as an Icon on the main menu
    This sounds more like what I was looking for. :) Again I need to try this.

The only disadvantage is that you have to go all the way back to the main menu from where you are in order to access that menu item.
    In the old "DefaultWide", the "Green Marble" button (START) on the remote control takes you directly to the "Home" panel (or did I imagine that?). That is why a single press on the "Home" panel to get the "Close" dialogue would be a good solution for MCE remotes.

Don´t forget the possibility to use the last 2 buttons in topbar
    Yes, I use that with the old "DefaultWide" when I am using my Microsoft MCE remote (my Ortek/Hama has a dedicated "Close" button). But I think that the "TopBar" is ugly :(, and should be unnecessary when using a remote control.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. I must play some more with MP 1.15, and see what alternative solutions will satisfy my exacting requirements. :D

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    How do you get to the topbar with a WMC remote?

Tony[DOUBLEPOST=1464364140][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi CyberSimian

Thanks for the hint about using the green button to go directly to the main menu. I didn't know about that.

That makes things much easier.

Thanks again.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    There are left, right, up, down buttons. Left and right move through the recording, but up and down affect the timeshifting rather than going to the topbar.

How do I map the up button to go to the topbar and where are the left, right, up, down buttons for navigation declared? I realize that these buttons can be active in several different screens; e.g. the main menu screen and when replaying a program. Do you have any samples of the code that configures these in version 1.14?

Thanks in advance.

Tony[DOUBLEPOST=1464374712][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How do you get to the topbar with a WMC remote?
    Don´t have one, but doesn´t it has arrow keys (left, right, up, down)???

Ah. I hadn't realized that you don't have a WMC remote. It is impossible to reproduce what those of us that use WMC remotes are talking about unless you have a WMC remote as well.

"DefaultWide" allows a user to navigate to the topbar when the up button in a WMC remote is pressed from any screen (or most of them, I think).

We have a workaround for this so I don't think this is urgent. But I do think is still a "nice to have".

Tony

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    "DefaultWide" allows a user to navigate to the topbar when the UP button in a WMC remote is pressed from any screen (or most of them, I think).
    Yes, I think that this is correct. For the old "DefaultWide", most/all panels (other than those showing video) display the "Top Bar" when UP is pressed on the remote control (should be the same for UP on the keyboard). However, I noticed yesterday that UP on the "Home" panel in the new "DefaultWideHD" does not cause the "Top Bar" to appear. This was partly what prompted my question about how to exit MP! :confused:

@catavolt Is this a capability that got lost during the transition from "DefaultWide" to "DefaultWideHD"? Or is it enabled/disabled by a setting? (My MP 1.15pre partition uses the default settings, but I cannot look at it at the moment.)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    In the "DefaultWideHD" Home panel, the DOWN button seems to do nothing. So why not define it to display the "Close" dialogue? I actually tried redefining my remote control so that DOWN in the "Home" panel displayed the "Close" dialogue, but it did not work. I also tried that definition for the "Second Home" panel, but that did not work either.
    I now realise why defining DOWN to display the "Close" dialogue did not work -- I defined the button with the wrong action! :eek:

However, I have since had a better idea. :) The "Green Marble" button (START) on the remote control starts MP from the Windows Desktop. When you are within MP, the START button takes you to the "Home" panel. But when you are already on the "Home" panel, what does the START button do? Precisely nothing! So it is an ideal choice for displaying the "Close" dialogue. (y)

So to exit MP from anywhere within MP, you would:

(1) Press the START button to move to the "Home" panel.
    (2) Press the START button again to display the "Close" dialogue.
    (3) Press the OK button to select the first choice (exit MP), or use DOWN one or more times followed by OK to select a different choice.

There are a couple of "gotchas" to be wary of:

(1) You need to define the action for the START button when on the "Home" panel. The action I initially chose was "Close Dialog", as that looked to be what I wanted. Wrong! :( That is why my attempts yesterday did not work. The action that you must use is "Shutdown" (which does not cause a shutdown -- it instead displays the "Close" dialogue o_O).

(2) You need to specify the panel to which the definition should apply. I initially chose "Home". Wrong! :( For some inexplicable reason, the correct panel to choose is "Second Home". :confused: If you specify "Home", the definition applies to the panel with the list that scrolls vertically ("DefaultWideHD" calls this the "Root" panel). So in the definition of the START button, the "No Condition" entry needs to specify the action as displaying "Home", but the entry for displaying the "Close" dialogue needs to specify the action as applying to the "Second Home" panel. o_O

The advantage of using the START button in this way is that it is not dependent on any particular layout or customisation of the "DefaultWideHD" skin. (y)

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The advantage of using the START button in this way is that it is not dependent on any particular layout or customisation of the "DefaultWideHD" skin.
    This is what the definition of the START button should look like for your remote control:

start_button_config.jpg

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Where Does the Focus Go?

I have just been trying the UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT buttons on my remote control (the corresponding keys on the keyboard should behave in the same way). In the various "Settings" panels in "DefaultWideHD", when an edge is reached, either:

(1) The focus is not moved (e.g. pressing LEFT on the leftmost item stays on the leftmost item), or:

(2) The focus wraps around (e.g. pressing DOWN on the bottom item wraps the focus around to the top item).

That seems OK. However, the "Settings" panel for the skin does not behave that way. LEFT on the leftmost item causes the focus to disappear. DOWN on the bottom item also causes the focus to disappear (although after 4 presses the focus re-appears on the top item). :confused:

Also, on some panels UP from the top item causes the "Top Bar" to display, whilst on other panels (e.g. the "Home" panel), the "Top Bar" does not display. It looks as though there are some inconsistencies in the handling of UP. :(

Last edited:

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    e.g. the "Home" panel), the "Top Bar" does not display. It looks as though there are some inconsistencies in the handling of UP. :(
    That´s correct - "Home" screen is a special case and by design don´t have a topbar - therefore I added the "bar" at the left (indicated by a "exit" logo.
    So going from the plugins list left opens this small menu with the three exit options exit from this screen, exit MP and exit MP with options menu.
    If we want it different, we have to ask the devs to restructure the whole "Home" screen ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom