SWEDISH translation of "My" (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I agree! Let´s get rid of it. Also if "my" has become a separate item in the strings file it will be impossible to keep it in the swedish translation if we don't translate it as "Min/Mitt/Mina" and that will look horrible.

I finished the current translation and latest brush up of the swedish language file. I also have a small list of suggested improvements from other users that I'm planning to put into the file.
If you'd like me to I can make the change and remove "My" as soon as the 0.2.0 RC2 is released. We can then start a new thread with comments and suggested improvements on the translation and tweak it for the final release of 0.2.0.

trannel

Portal Member
July 25, 2005
Hi, i also totally agree with you.

I agree using an empty prefix in next translation version cause it's not like a HTPC is always a one man tool. If all family uses it it makes little to no sense to have "My" as a prefix.

Time to come back to MP soon i think. (When DVB drivers is getting mature for the Twinhan DVB-C cards)

/trannel

MrMad

Portal Pro
May 18, 2005
Göteborg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
kamrat said:
Also if "my" has become a separate item in the strings file it will be impossible to keep it in the swedish translation if we don't translate it as "Min/Mitt/Mina" and that will look horrible.

As you can see from my example above, the prefix can be set for each string in the language file. It will look like this:

Code:
<string Prefix="Mina "> 
  <id>1</id> 
  <value>Bilder</value> 
</string>
<string Prefix="Min "> 
  <id>2</id> 
  <value>Musik</value> 
</string>
<string Prefix="Mitt "> 
  <id>8</id> 
  <value>Väder</value> 
</string>

As you can see it will work perfectly with "min/mitt/mina" and by changing an option you can select if you want to display the prefixes or not.

If you'd like me to I can make the change and remove "My" as soon as the 0.2.0 RC2 is released.

No, it should not be removed, but changed according to my example above.

We can then start a new thread with comments and suggested improvements on the translation and tweak it for the final release of 0.2.0

Or we can just continue in the existing thread:
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9339

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
trannel said:
Hi, i also totally agree with you.

I agree using an empty prefix in next translation version cause it's not like a HTPC is always a one man tool. If all family uses it it makes little to no sense to have "My" as a prefix.

/trannel

So it should really be "Our TV","Our Video",... etc.
(Only joking).

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom

Thanks MrMad all the above is good information. Guys I personally like the My prefix in English and feel that the main menu looks a little naked without them but do fully appreciate that its not only a preference thing but that in some languages it may look plain stupid.

Maintaining the relevant My per language in the form of a prefix does allow the individual to choose whether they want the text to appear so, where applicable, please make use of the Prefix tag.

Thanks!

Oh one other thing, no point in being able to choose if nobody tells you how to... currently there isn't an option in the UI for enabling or disabling this and to be honest it'll probably remain as an undocumented tweak for the time being but for those that want rid of the prefix you must add the following line to the 'general' section of mediaportal.xml:

Code:
    <entry name="myprefix">no</entry>

Visard

Portal Member
September 2, 2005
Sweden
Smirnuff said:

Thanks MrMad all the above is good information. Guys I personally like the My prefix in English and feel that the main menu looks a little naked without them but do fully appreciate that its not only a preference thing but that in some languages it may look plain stupid.

Maintaining the relevant My per language in the form of a prefix does allow the individual to choose whether they want the text to appear so, where applicable, please make use of the Prefix tag.

Thanks!

Oh one other thing, no point in being able to choose if nobody tells you how to... currently there isn't an option in the UI for enabling or disabling this and to be honest it'll probably remain as an undocumented tweak for the time being but for those that want rid of the prefix you must add the following line to the 'general' section of mediaportal.xml:

Code:
    <entry name="myprefix">no</entry>

Thanks Smirnuff and MrMad !

In the near future we need a checkbox for turning on/off the prefixes, but for the moment I can live with Smirnuff´s tip :)

Everyone will be happy and I'm glad I am not alone too wana drop it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom