Synchronizing multiple clients - feature request (1 Viewer)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Moving Pictures is THE plug-in for MP! Great work. :D

I know it has been discussed in many threads, I still dare to bring it up again. It is too complicated to keep the movie databases on multiple clients synchronized. I understand the difficulty of running from one database and that we have to wait for MP2 to see that realized.

And there are a number of workarounds. I make sure the movies are in the database as I want it on one client, then use MP Artwork and Info Copier and then the other clients synchronize automatically (unless the other client beat me to it updating it's database). But that it is cumbersome to do for every movie added and every change made. So I have a request.

Would it be possible to have the importer run in one of three modes;

stand-alone (functionality as now)
    master (functionality as now, and with every update writes an .nfo and data files to the movie folder)
    slave (only uses available .nfo and data files, checks for updates on those)

That way the workaround is automatic by just selecting master on one and slave on the other clients. There is a copy of the database on every client, that makes access fast and disk space is cheap. Can't go wrong, except that if you would set two clients as master results are unpredictable. And if you have a slave but no master the slave's database would remain empty.

What about that?

VdR

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I like the idea of having the artwork and info copier integrated into MovPic, and then it would be great if that on could be combined with the renaming function to get all your movies organized with just one click and like VdR says all client can scrape out of the files. The idea of having the importer set to master or slave is a good one and I guess it is implementable, isn't it?

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If find SyncMP a relatively complicated solution and the showstopper is that it requires MP to be installed on the server that holds the media files. The upside of course is that it solves the problem for music and series as well.

VdR

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Synchronizing multiple clients - feature request

Hi.
    I'm using "a sort of" Master / Slave Solution since years now. On every Client MovPic is set up to only use XBMC Scrapper with local Artwork. This is the desired "Slave" function and it's fully implemented in MovPic since ages. On my "working PC" I have two DB files. One as on all other clients if I want to use MP as normal and an "empty" DB for importing new movies. As it's necessary to copy new movies over to the "normal" path I do an import with empty DB and use the artwork and info copier before copying new movies over. So I can correct DB entries at one place and there will be instantly available on all clients. Sure this is a bit more work than having this integrated in MovPic directly, but as the days of local SQLIte DBs are numbered (MP2 will have central Media DB) I don't think such huge changes to the plugin are useful at all.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So there is a relatively easy way to have the importer behave as a slave as suggested. I never realized that. I'll play around with that a bit.

Integration of the MP Artwork and Info Copier would still be great functionality to have. Unless of course all plugin development is on hold awaiting MP2 :confused:

VdR

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Synchronizing multiple clients - feature request

Hi.
    It's easy to set up. See screenshots attached. This way all clients are using local data sources only.

Attachments

• Zwischenablage-1.jpg
      Zwischenablage-1.jpg
      99.4 KB
    • Zwischenablage-2.jpg
      Zwischenablage-2.jpg
      98 KB
    • Zwischenablage-3.jpg
      Zwischenablage-3.jpg
      110.5 KB

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you. That is very helpful, it answered my questions about the other importer settings.

So I cleaned up the database in the master, ran MP Artwork and Info Copier to create the .nfo file folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg files. That worked fine.

On the client I made the settings as suggested.

However if I 'update media info'; folder image does not change. If I 'move back to importer' and import again; folder image does not change. So I deleted the movingpictures.db3 file. A new one is created but the importer does not import anything.

Could do with a suggestion here, before the kids come home ...

OK that was stupid, of course also the media sources where deleted (and all other settings), so I added one of the folders, now the importer works, but ignores the local data ...

What is a good way to clear the database without deleting the settings and how do I get this to work?

VdR

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    What is a good way to clear the database without deleting the settings and how do I get this to work?

Select first movie in movie manager, hold down SHIFT and press END, all movies should not be selected. Then use 'x' delete icon at right side (not the one at the bottom), and this will delete all movies.

Now go back to importer tab, and use the gear icon to "unignore all" and this will restart the importer (make sure you are happy with your import scraper order first).

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Done that. No luck. Importer settings exactly according to your images. With only XBMC enabled I do not get any possible matches and not one movie is added.

The .nfo files are there. Can there be something wrong with the .nfo files?

UPDATE

I found that the .nfo file has to have the same name as the movie, movie.nfo (default for MP Artwork and Info Copier) is ignored. Not a big thing (if you know), that can be done.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/692593-post10.html

However (again), I still do not manage to get the folder.jpg in the movie folder to be imported. No not even if I give it the same name as the movie.

ANOTHER UPDATE

This is getting worse. In the configuration under Movie Manager I keep getting the old cover art back, however if I look at the full size cover art it shows the folder.jpg file (different image). I don't know what MP shows because there the whole movie is now invisible. Did someone say this is easy?

VdR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom