TBS: CI/CAM support and other improvements (5 Viewers)

spidee

October 25, 2016
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Patch in first post 1.6 and above should work in 1.15 also

Br,

I supposed there was developmment changes in TvLibrary and TvLibrary.Interfaces since 1.6.0, but you are right, it's working also for 1.15.0, thank you very much :)

400G

Portal Member
January 22, 2017
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
In which directory should the file TBSciapi.dll be in mp2.1? I get "
[2017-01-22 12:29:32,707] [34737 ] [29 ] [ERROR] -
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'TBSCIApi.dll'.
File name: 'TBSCIApi.dll'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName)"
in the log.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please try either
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3 and / or
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Muscats

My understanding is that VAST uses CI+ (as opposed to standard CI) with pairing (ie. the smart-card/subscription is linked to the CAM). This would make it completely incompatible with a PC setup. Currently all PC tuners [with CI slots] on the market - including the 5990 that you linked - only support standard CI. There are none with CI plus support available. This is due to the inherent difficulty of securing content on a PC platform.

I also note the comment on the CAM product page:
    The card and cam are for use in professional receivers
    which are used at re-broadcast sites.
    Although it may work in domestic CI receivers,
    In other words, that CAM is intended for professional rather than consumer applications. It would be complete overkill unless you wanted to view/record 8 services/channels simultaneously.

Regards,
    mm

Last edited:

Muscats

Portal Member
    December 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi, thanks for responding so quickly
    In other words, that CAM is intended for professional rather than consumer applications. It would be complete overkill unless you wanted to view/record 8 services/channels simultaneously.
    We are currently recording up to 8 channels simultaneously, (my wife just checked our current recording schedule and we have 8 simultaneous scheduled this evening) Australian TV tends to run quality TV competitively i.e. the various free to air providers line up quality shows in the same time slot, so there is a requirement to record multiple channels at the same time. The commercially available domestic VAST set top boxes are limited to record one watch one, at best, and there is no way to get them into Mediaportal

My understanding is that VAST uses CI+ (as opposed to standard CI) with pairing (ie. the smart-card/subscription is linked to the set-top-box).
    I think that the pairing you describe is the case when you purchase a set top box with the cam and card installed, however, when you purchase a card and cam combo without the hardware as in here
    SMIT 8 Service VAST Irdeto Smartcard and CI cam - CI Cams - Satellite Accessories - Satellite Products
    which suggests using it with one of these
    PBI DCP3100PT DVBT HD MPEG4 IRD - Integrated Receiver/Decoders - Digital TV Broadcasting Equipment - Other Products
    in which case it must not be pair as you are not necessarily purchasing them together.
    also, this forum thread
    vast tuning
    suggests the 5980 works with a single service VAST card and Cam.
    I believe it is the Card and Cam that are paired not the card and set top box.

Happy for confirmation otherwise.

sorry for the multi post - I was getting a posting error : (

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    We are currently recording up to 8 channels simultaneously...
    Okay.
    Even with that being the case, unless all of those channels are broadcast from the same transponder (ie. can be received simultaneously with one tuner), a single CAM is probably not the solution you're looking for.

Are you aware that each of the TBS 5990's two CI/CAM slots is inextricably associated with one of the tuners?
    The implication is that if you only buy one CAM, you would only have one tuner that could view/record encrypted VAST channels. The other tuner would only be usable for unencrypted (free-to-air) channels.
    In other words: the two tuners can't share one CAM. They require a CAM each.

I think that the pairing you describe...
    I actually corrected that part of my reply shortly after posting it to say that the smart-card/subscription is linked to the CAM.
    As you say, this is consistent with the ability to purchase the smart-card and CAM together.
    I still maintain my doubt that you'd be able to use the paired/married smart-card + CAM combo with a PC tuner. If you decide to try it, from my perspective it would be at your own risk.

P.S. If I recall correctly, some of the VAST-approved set-top-boxes originally came with a smart-card only. You plugged the smart-card directly into the set-top-box. The CI/CAM part was integrated into the set-top-box. In those cases, the pairing/marriage meant that the smart-card could not be used with an independent CAM (like the one you're thinking of getting) or another set-top-box.

I believe it is the Card and Cam that are paired not the card and set top box.
    Yes, agreed. As above: I corrected my reply. Sorry for any confusion caused.
    Like I said, I still have strong doubts... and there are other limitations (eg. the need for one CAM per tuner) to consider.

Happy for confirmation otherwise.
    Sorry, I can't confirm either way.
    I'm based in NZ.
    I used to receive the old OPTUS Aurora service over here with a CAM and smart-card. I still have the gear, but haven't used it since Aurora was switched off. The VAST service is confined to Australian transponder beams that can't easily be received in New Zealand (unless you have a very large satellite dish - which I don't).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom