Tell MP which screen to start on from shortcut? (1 Viewer)

Noodleman

Portal Member
March 19, 2009
Hey guys,

Hopefully an easy one.

I am using the latest release of MP, and I would like to know if there is a way to load MP to a specific screen, by specifying an option in the shortcut etc.

My scenario is as follows.

I have a big pc, 5 screens attached. (4x tft and 1 projector).

Currently my MP config is set to start fullscreen on the projector, which is fine, and works great. However, I am adding a 6th screen (tft) to the far side of my room as a TV.

I would like to put a shortcut on the screen (touchscreen) that will load MP, and make it load on that specifc screen.

Does anybody know of a way to make this happen?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there and welcome :)

I don't think there is a startup switch for that. Your only option would then be to man-handle it with 2 bat files.
    Example:
    Configure MP for screen 1.
    Copy the MediaPortal.xml file to a backup location and call it something like MPScreen1.xml.
    Configure MP for screen 2.
    Copy the MediaPortal.xml file to same location and call it something like MPScreen2.xml.
    Now create file MP1.bat.
    It should have 2 commands in it to copy and replace MPScreen1.xml to MediaPortal.xml and then launch MediaPortal.exe.
    Now create file MP2.bat.
    It should have 2 commands in it to copy and replace MPScreen2.xml to MediaPortal.xml and then launch MediaPortal.exe.

Only problem is that you will have to redo the copy part if you need to change other MP configuration settings.

I don't really like it, but i am not aware of another method.

Noodleman

Portal Member
    March 19, 2009
    hey

Cheers for that.

Didn't consider doing that, but im sure it will work. I did a search to see if there were and switches for MediaPortal.exe so you can point it at a different config file, but alas didn't find any :/

cheeers again for the suggestion, working just fine :)

here is the code for anybody who wants to do the same.

Im using vista ultimate x64

File1:

copy "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal_projector.xml" "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml" /V /Y
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe"
    exit

File2:
    copy "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal_tv.xml" "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml" /V /Y
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe"
    exit

The batch file exits when you quit media portal.

Cheers for the recomend, useful! :)

Dodgy Bob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I'm interested in doing something similar, to only 2 screens though. Both flat panels, both at same resolution.

I was just wondering what graphics card your PC had and what connections you used. At the moment I'm using the onboard graphics from my motherboard to a single screen via HDMI.

Cheers.

Bob.

Noodleman

Portal Member
    March 19, 2009
    I'm interested in doing something similar, to only 2 screens though. Both flat panels, both at same resolution.

I was just wondering what graphics card your PC had and what connections you used. At the moment I'm using the onboard graphics from my motherboard to a single screen via HDMI.

Cheers.

Bob.

Hey bob,

I have 3 video cards in my rig.

Nvidia 8800 GTS
    Nvidia 7200
    Nvidia 6200

I use my main screens on the 8800, then my 2nd set of screens come off my 6200, and I use the7200 for my projector & now my TV screen on the other side of the room.

Most motherboards (if they have onboard video) will only have one output. nearly all new video cards you can purchase will come with 2 outputs, meaning you can use 2 screens at the same time.

Noodleman

Portal Member
    March 19, 2009
    This does work, but it seems a bit... unreliable.

I have 6 screens on the machine now, and sometimes it changes the number of the screens (e.g, screen 2 is lower left, but in a week or so, screen 2 may start MP on the lower right).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom