The Final "How to Measure CPU load" Thread. (1 Viewer)

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
July 18, 2005
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Just as this thread: How to measure CPU load when watching TV? - I too was looking for a way to monitor CPU usage when watching TV as I'm experiencing stutter from time to time. And since the TV is my only connected screen, and it only happens in Fullscreen mode, switching back and forth between windowed and FS was not helping. Having no luck finding a small app that would display CPU usage, and always be on top, I stumbled over RTM aka. Remote Task Manager. Only downfall is you need an extra PC, but I assume that's not a problem for people in here :)

You simply install the Program on a PC that's not running MP, and then push the rtmservice.exe onto the HTPC, this allows you to monitor all running processes on the HTPC just as you can do with the local Task Manager.

So I can now inform you all that watching a DVD, when the CPU is clocked at 981Mhz, requires 14-15% of all available CPU power.

Recording one TV show while watching DVD pushes MP to 16-17%. Still clocked at 981Mhz... Impressive indeed..

Anyway - There's a 30 day free trial to be downloaded from http://www.protect-me.com/rtm/

Cheers,
Steffen

shewless

Portal Pro
October 2, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
What about:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Performance?

You can measure a bunch of performance metrics there and I believe you can log them as well.

Of course if you have an external display (which sadly flerbizky doesn't :() you can have the CPU utilization output there.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What about:
    Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Performance?

You can measure a bunch of performance metrics there and I believe you can log them as well...

Can someone provide more details as in how-to setup this up, so it can be played back on another computer?

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I don't think that's possible.. I know some tools under "Administrative Tools" can connect to remote computers (eg. Event Viewer) but I don't think the Performance Monitor can..

However - If you try RTM, all you have to do is:

Install RTM on your not MP running PC,

Click "Connect" under file menu,

Enter MP PCs name, then RTM will say the service isn't installed, and do so.

shewless

Portal Pro
    October 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I wish I could help more.. but it looks like when you're adding counters there is an option to specify from which computer you want to add the counter...

So I think you would add the counter locally first, and then attempt to add it on a remote computer as well.

thechad

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Geelong, Australia
    Home Country
    Right click on the graph and select 'Add Counters'.
    Then select the option to select counters from computer, and in the dropdown list type the UNC path to your mediaportal box eg. \\htpc
    Once that is done then select the performance object 'processor' and counter '% Processor Time'.

That should be enough to get you up and running, there are hundreds of objects you can monitor and also monitor things per process or totals, also you can add as many counters as you want to a graph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom