The Future of Fan Art (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    ...My thoughts are votes/download numbers will automatically "die spreu vom weizen trennen" (somebody know the english saying for that?)...

Does this mean "separate the wheat from the chaff"?

SamFulton

Portal Member
    September 21, 2007
    It might just be better to wait "for the next big thing" (for those in the know) and revisit this idea then, my gut tells me these things will be alot easier to realise then (both from a coding point of view as well as from a creating those fanart files).

I am not in the know - so I have no idea what that means - but I will take your word for it. In the meantime, would it be possible to solve the overlay issue? People are putting black or white boxes on some fanart that make it completely tied to the current implementation - that text box for description cannot move without breaking many fanarts. If there was another flag such as 0000_dark_overlay20_Series_Name.png that would mean the file needs a 20% dark overlay behind the text. If a skin has a dedicated area (like the new xface) it could just ignore this - but skins are placing text on the graphic it can see if the overlay is needed.

I must confess that I have little knowledge of how skins work - I was just throwing this out there. We can revisit the skinning idea later.

The server I want to host this on is a dedicated server that I run one other application on. It is VERY stable, and currently has 500GB of bandwidth which can be raised for a nominal fee (2000 GB is $40).

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It might just be better to wait "for the next big thing" (for those in the know) and revisit this idea then, my gut tells me these things will be alot easier to realise then (both from a coding point of view as well as from a creating those fanart files).

I read that as saying that the "big thing" is a new skinning engine. Correct? :D

fooby

February 11, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    automatic fanart

I too agree

I have recently started with mediaportal (literally 2 days) so I spend ages in menu's right click, fanart only to randomly click a few just to get rid of the girl with chalk pic

im not as obsessed as some for having my own fanart - so is it possible to at least provide the option for automatic download? that way most people wont turn it on, but i can :)

Thanks

fooby

mcbelly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How about a rating system ? Thetvdb.com supports this, so how about "only get top rated" or "get random FanArt" ?

cheers
    mcbelly

fooby

February 11, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    wow!

thanks for adding this to the list :D:D:D

and i think the options you plan are an excellent addition too! :)

fooby :)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    How about a rating system ? Thetvdb.com supports this, so how about "only get top rated" or "get random FanArt" ?

cheers
    mcbelly

Unfortunately you can't get/set ratings from the API or number of votes for artwork. I think its a planned feature though. The Series/Season Banners/Posters are in the XML as highest rated first so hopefully fanart is as well, then I can set the highest rated fanart as the default like I do for the rest of the artwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom