The future of MPI - we need your opinion! (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    6. I don't know if MPI does this now, but MPI should be able to check what version of MP a user is using, and inform them if the plugin or skin is not supported for this version. THEN users will refuse to use anything but the MPI!!! We are all tired of loading incompatible versions of skins and plugins (which sometimes don't even tell you which version of MP they support)

Well, even many plugin & skin developers dont know what version their plugins/skins are compatible :) There is no silver bullet that MPI could use to do the check.

As far as getting the developers to use the installer, I hope they will let you know why they don't. But also, you have to give developers a good reason to use MPI. If it cannot be part of the main configuration, then isn't it easier for users to use a standard .exe install, which is what they are used to? How do you answer that? I mean what are the advantages of using MPI? I am sure there are lots, but do the developers know what they are?

One good reason is to remove all other than MPI packets from the download section :)

I hope these suggestions are helpful. I mean them as support and encouragement for your efforts. As a user, I welcome and applaud all your attempts to make MP installation and configuration easier!

User side comments are always useful.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well, even many plugin & skin developers dont know what version their plugins/skins are compatible :) There is no silver bullet that MPI could use to do the check.

That's scary! How about a field (like the Create Extension program has) that specifies the version the developer SAYS it supports? At least that's a start!

One good reason is to remove all other than MPI packets from the download section :)

Yeah, as a user I feel the same way! But that won't stop developers from hosting elsewhere and if .exe files are easier for users to use, we'll use them even if we shouldn't! :)

The thing is we have a lot of creative genius in MP and don't want to discourage that! I love what the developers have been coming up with, both in the core and the plugins and the skins. It's like a whole leap forward! So, I hope it is just growing pains.

User side comments are always useful.

Thanks, I seem to have lots :mad:

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    As for version checking - how about the Dev specifies which version they have tested against, and if you still want to install, you have to click a checkbox/button to 'override' the version warning.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,

What I found, using XMP/MPI (but, maybe I don't use it like it should or, it has been fixed since a long time) :

- Add Language :

Add Language only add strings in MediaPortal.xml file.
    Cause it seems you don't want to have others strings than MP strings in this file, wich could be lost on next MP release, may be it could be reworked a little bit ?
    Today, for adding specifics plugins language files, we have to choose "Add Other" and force with %Language% in relative directory.

- Post Setup :

The Run program leave only choice between Configuration.exe or MediaPortal.exe
    It could be interesting to have specific choice for another .exe or a .bat to launch (may be with full path ?).
    Example : This could leave a specific Post Setup by user ability for MultiShortcut plugin.

The Configure plugin is limited to one dll.
    Then, when you have more than one, it is not possible.
    Example : WebEPGfr plugin has a windows plugin AND a process plugin (WebEPGfr_planification) to configure.

- Another thing for people who doesn't work alone in a Plugin (but may be, it is complicated to do this) :

When another guy want to modify XMP file, relative paths are not changed.
    Often, local paths are not the same, between differents users.
    If it is possible, it will great to have a recalculated relative paths by MPI, when a dev open an xmp file on his computer.

Otherwise, MPI is a great tool, to make a package for MediaPortal. :D

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MPI Intstaller packages

What is good on MPI:

Its easy to use for the users, with a doubleclick the skin or plugin will be add to MP, without need of copy and paste actions

What should be added in new version:

The posility of setting different xml´s by some choose buttons, like for using in a skin different xml´s.
    For a example TVGuide, some users will have 9 rows there, some other will have 12 rows there.
    So with that the user can choose wich xml, should be installed.

A usingguide for skin and plugindevelopers to know where they can create there mpi´s.

What is not good on MPI:

it´s only one thing.....

the posibility to load new and updated version from our homepgae without visit them.
    That´s a realy bad thing, because with that the users will load the skins and plugins from the installer without visit our homepage
    and we lost here the contact with them.

By downloading manual a Skin or plugin from the homepage, all users see important new news, discribtions we give for the skins or plugins,links to the forumthreads, informations over download counts, ratings and so on and so on.
    With that we hold a close contact to the community and the community to us.
    That´s the key to success from MP and that the biggest point for me, why i have never use the mpi stuff for my skins.

Why not use MPI´s as package for selfextracting and installation, but without that online and download stuff.
    So we can set a skin or plugin as mpi on the homepage, like we do it now with zip or rar and the community can load the stuff like they do it now from the downloadpage, by visiting our homepage. But without the possiblity to use the downloadmanager of mpi.

Greetings Harley :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    the posibility to load new and updated version from our homepgae without visit them.
    That´s a realy bad thing, because with that the users will load the skins and plugins from the installer without visit our homepage

Harley

Ever used Firefox, when that does a update, it loads the plugins homepage, so you can see whats new :)

Something similar, like being able to add url within MPI to launch browser to plugin\skin would be great.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Rather than load up a URL - It would be a nicer experience to have the HTML renderer in the MPI program. Personally I dont want it randomly launching firefox/explorer! :)

Or, maybe just have MPI show a RSS list of the homepage?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    But also, you have to give developers a good reason to use MPI. If it cannot be part of the main configuration, then isn't it easier for users to use a standard .exe install, which is what they are used to? How do you answer that? I mean what are the advantages of using MPI?
    Start MPI:
    • browse a list of available Extensions (skins/plugins/TV-Logos/etc.) - much cleaner then on the homepage
    • if you like one, just press "install". no manual downloading, extracting, copy/paste
    • if you want to check for updates of extensions you use, start MPI and press the update button. (we could even create an automatic procedure for that inside MP)
    • display the user that he tries to install an "oudated" extension
    • lots more

enough pro's? ;)

We would have a lot more ideas, like ratings, most downloaded (...), top 10,... etc.
    BUT we need a skilled and dedicated webdeveloper which could work with us on the repository to implement the required changes on the web-part.

@all see 2nd post which contains a wishlist i will update during the next days with your feedback.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    enough pro's? ;)

Yup! You've got my vote! Those are great advantages for users. But how about a list of pro's for developers too! I don't know if they all realize the advantages!

Regarding links to homepage etc. There is currently one on the Skins Configuration page that goes to the (now outdated) Wiki page for skins! Something similar is what I think PD is suggesting?

So where are all the WebDevelopers? Our repository needs a hand!

PrplHaz4

Portal Pro
    August 9, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MPI Intstaller packages
    What is not good on MPI:

it´s only one thing.....

and we lost here the contact with them.

By downloading manual a Skin or plugin from the homepage, all users see important new news, discribtions we give for the skins or plugins,links to the forumthreads, informations over download counts, ratings and so on and so on.
    With that we hold a close contact to the community and the community to us.
    That´s the key to success from MP and that the biggest point for me, why i have never use the mpi stuff for my skins.

Why not use MPI´s as package for selfextracting and installation, but without that online and download stuff.
    So we can set a skin or plugin as mpi on the homepage, like we do it now with zip or rar and the community can load the stuff like they do it now from the downloadpage, by visiting our homepage. But without the possiblity to use the downloadmanager of mpi.

Greetings Harley :)

I think the more you isolate users from needing to be aware of those things the better. If needed, you could expose the news items...etc on the first page of plugin/skin configuration (ideally, within the "Setup" pages through the UI). A good example of this model would be the way firefox handles plugins. The power users will always be coming to the site regardless, but "consumer" users should just be able to install the app, and do everything necessary within the provided interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom