The Top Reasons why Media Portal is the Greatest HTPC App (1 Viewer)

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I whole heartedly agree! I like this software so much I even recommend it to my friends and co-workers. Software in general isn't something I usually tell people to use . What works for me may not work for you. But because of all of the different system specs and the quick help in the forums, I have no troubles steering people this way. As a matter of fact, 6 of my co-workers now have a Media Portal home theater PC and I am in the process of setting one up for my in-laws. They saw mine in action and could not belive the functionality and quality versus the price. The old saying of "you get what you pay for" hardly fits here, and all I can say is thank you to the development team. Your time and effort and not our dollars have come up with a great program!

poppy10

Portal Member
May 5, 2005
Frodo seems to have been getting quite irritable recently, hopefully this will have cheered him up. I agree with everything in this post. Great work, guys, thanks :)

j1nx

Portal Pro
July 16, 2005
(first post!)

I also agree with this post, except for one thing.

"Opensource" isn't "free software". You still have to pay for it, but usually not with money. You have te do something back. Translating files, bug-reports, helping others in the community etc...

There are a couple of treats on the forum where the developers ask for input (something with the Tv channels). I think we all HAVE to reply on that kind of topics as a payment.

But again, devs: Really really great work. I only have to buy a TV-card now :lol:

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
j1nx said:
(first post!)

I also agree with this post, except for one thing.

"Opensource" isn't "free software". You still have to pay for it, but usually not with money. You have te do something back. Translating files, bug-reports, helping others in the community etc...

There are a couple of treats on the forum where the developers ask for input (something with the Tv channels). I think we all HAVE to reply on that kind of topics as a payment.

But again, devs: Really really great work. I only have to buy a TV-card now :lol:

I like this way of thinking :) See my signature for the TV Channels thread :)

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Dont want to be picky, but I find this a strange comment.
    "Opensource is not free since you need to ...."

Isnt this the same with commercial software?
    Take for example meedio, sagetv or beyondtv.
    They have external beta testers which are just customers who bought their product and would like to test new versions. Also normal
    customers are helping others in the forums and submitting bugreports
    They do all the things you said

Take microsoft and for example longhorn.
    Who's testing and submitting bugreports? indeed the endusers

My opinion is that opensource is free.
    Offcourse we appreciate it when people do something back
    for mediaportal. But its not obliged to do that

Frodo

j1nx

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    Frodo you're right, i forgot three important words "my oppinion is"

It is just my way of thinking "There is no such thing as a free lunch"

The power of open-source lies in it's community. And it is only a couple of seconds of work to give something back. But indeed you don't have do it.

penguin

Portal Member
    June 21, 2005
    I think the real difference between opensource and commercial software is that the stakeholders (ie those with interest in the results) are in the case of opensource, every user and developer, with each having a small say in the direction of the project. In the case of commercial software, some major stakeholders are looking to make money rather than a better product. Also the major stakeholders far outweigh the say the users have in the direction.

This is one reason I chose to go with Mediaportal rather than GB-PVR which is also a good bit of software. With one lead developer who owns the core software, the project will always be forced in the direction he chooses, whether or not this is good for the average user.

Mediaportal isn't yet the best piece of software for me, I'd be much better off with GB-PVRs service based recording engine and it's commercial skipping support (with ComSkip) would be great but I'm going to stick with Mediaportal- why? Because I think the whole philosophy will drive the software forward to be the only thing that will be able to compete with the commercial brute force of MCE.

The latest release has been a great step foward and has finally helped me to decide to stick with MP and although a couple of features (like better UI for large music collections and quicker TV channel hopping and more intelligent/configurable timeshifting) will be great when they eventually implemented (which I'm sure they will be) I'm very happy to use it as it is and look forward to future releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom