[Blog] The Upcoming Release of MediaPortal 1.1.0 (1 Viewer)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Re: The Inside Scoop Vol 1-1: MediaPortal 1.1.0 Release

Nice write up by the way :)

Some really good explanations of the inner workings of MP. They are things I'm sure a lot of us are very aware of, but that could be a very useful post to refer new members to in the future, especially when they ask about MP2 in coming months.

Charly_Brown

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 21, 2008
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Really interesting stuff, as I'm a developer, sometimes I'm also fighting with the old legacy code that breaks when you touch the system elsewhere :mad:.
    Question on MP2.0: Do you plan to do this with TDD? IMHO a lot of problems that you are now fighting in MP 1 could have been avoided using TDD.

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: The Inside Scoop Vol 1-1: MediaPortal 1.1.0 Release

another boring sunday and i was happy to read some new infos in general and especially on the background of mediaportal. this look behind the curtain was very interesting, so i hope there will be more of these nice blogs coming soon! maybe sth about version 2.0 development, planned features... i don't know but looking forward to it :D

It is the lack of a good structure on this web site. (No offense)
    If you do not know where to look you can not find what you need...
    Example: You just installed MP and want to change the basic skin into the popular StreamedMP. You go to the plugin directory and look for skins. You select 16:9 and ....it is not there!:rolleyes: (You should go to the forum, not downloads)
    2e example: You found a great plugin and want to install. You download install and discover its not working as it should. Problem...it is for an older MP release.
    The best downloads are now scatterd around in the forum where it is very hard to track down a version release or even find them.

totally agree with this point, almost experienced the same reaction with one of my friends. mce -> mp -> mce and finally xbmc cause of the graphics, not usability^^

anyway, the downloadsection should be revised. there is so much stuff that is just not supported and working anymore with the newer versions of mp. without disrespecting the creators of these plugins and skins, but a little cleanup would be advisable in my opinion. somebody who is new to mp will look into the download section and feels confused, only the older communitymembers know where to look for the current versions in the forum... which work. the other try to install it and have to realize that it is not working as they expected resulting in frustration -> mce

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Question on MP2.0: Do you plan to do this with TDD? IMHO a lot of problems that you are now fighting in MP 1 could have been avoided using TDD.
    Whats TDD?

General advice.
    You guy's might send/post questions for dadeo, here. Which he then can ask our team members during the upcoming interviews. ;)

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Thanks so much for this great look behind MP. I have been using for almost two years now and actually started writing plugins. I can't wait to hear some details on the upcoming MPII and what to expect. When MPII gets far enough along would love to see some screen shots or maybe an outline of features. Great work.

Hetfield

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

I have been using MediaPortal about 5 years, and about the same time being familar with TDD at my work. Wouldn't want to change either one to someting else :)

There could be many advantages from TDD or at least unit testing in MP also. Some things are maybe hard to unit test, as regards to codecs, tv cards, different video formats, etc. But by using interfaces and fake implementations for the objects, quite much of code can be tested automatically. So dependencies to hardware and codecs should be hidden with interfaces, which is a sign of good design also without TDD.

For example:
    - When playing live tv
    - User performs action X, for example presses stop
    - Check that procedures X,Y,Z are run in the application
    - No exceptions appear
    - Assert the result/status with some important properties/variables

And then CruiseControl.NET to run the tests and report coverage always, and maybe some video/tv related slower tests at nighs.

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

thanks for the update.
    "quality first" is a good strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom