[Blog] The Upcoming Release of MediaPortal 1.1.0 (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: The Inside Scoop Vol 1-1: MediaPortal 1.1.0 Release

Do you have any plans to ensure functionality (other things being equal) of a plugin through subsequent versions of MP2?

How about the second part of the question? :)
    Even though breaking corechanges will be not as "common" as in MP1, pluginauthors will still have to keep their work up to date.

And as i said. Repository could need a lot of enhancements especially when it comes to "with which version of MP is this Skin/Plugin working with?" questions.

We asked countless times for any webdeveloper to beef up our repository, since we have a lot of ideas about how to increase the useability.
    Sadly, noone _really_ wants to help. And we do not have _any_ webdev in our team.

So at the end of the day, the repository will just stay the same as it is. Until someone with the skills and dedication shows up and takes some responsibillity.

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France

Great, thanks. I wish you find that guy (or gal) for the sake of all of us

cecolon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Thanks for a good blog, it's really interesting to follow the team, and it answered some things I have been wondering about.

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

It would be an amazing project to undertake in a commercial environment, but as open source with such people devoting time and effort - it truly staggers belief. I am eagerly awaiting the release, but extremely happy for it to be all that they want it to be.

mij1525

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Nice interview. Very insightful. Thanks!

sonixpc

Portal Member
    January 17, 2009
    Envigado
    Home Country

This is very good news hearing about the new upcoming release and it's interesting to see how much work it's behind that, I'm planning to make a donation this week as a way to support this huge labor. Thanks a million out there you all developers. I just hope TV Server still supports analog TV cards.

Since I upgraded to Win7 I am stuck with the shitty MCE...even the last version it's far away behind we have on MP. I'm sure this new release will catcth more and more HTPC users. Can wait no longer. :D

easywatcher

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: The Upcoming Release of MediaPortal 1.1.0

During Dec/Jan I was wondering what the status of 1.1 might be. Now I know.
    Great Idea informing the community by doing this interviews! :D

A comment on the Release strategy I'd like to state that I think focusing on the stability of the system will be a big win for the systems acceptance.
    It will dramatically improve the WAF. The ones who are married will know what I am talking about. And actually I don't like rebooting the bloody PC in the middle of a good film as well.

WAF = Women Acceptance Factor :mad:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: The Upcoming Release of MediaPortal 1.1.0

A comment on the Release strategy I'd like to state that I think focusing on the stability of the system will be a big win for the systems acceptance.
    We focus in stability since pre 1.0.0

The ones who are married will know what I am talking about. And actually I don't like rebooting the bloody PC in the middle of a good film as well.
    Turn off ajtomatic installation of windowsupdates to avoid these forces reboots (only case which would cause such on my productive system :D)

easywatcher

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: The Upcoming Release of MediaPortal 1.1.0

We focus in stability since pre 1.0.0

Yes you are. And very successful I'd like to say. MP is a very stable system. I said what I said as a supporter of your strategy.

Beside the successes made so far my MP does freeze and slow down from time to time. A reboot usually sorts it out. Not sure this is a Windows or MP problem. Or whether I am just not able to do the configuration right.
    Nevertheless the benchmark on stability for my wife (and other non techi users) is the standard home entertainment equipement they are used to for decades. All those proprietary systems like TVs, DVD Players and so on. We all know they will never get the functionality and flexibility or being as exiting as MP is. But they are what people are used on stability. So it is the benchmark for them.

Turn off ajtomatic installation of windowsupdates to avoid these forces reboots (only case which would cause such on my productive system :D)

That is definitely one roote cause of my problems. But what about security issues if I do so?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: Re: AW: The Upcoming Release of MediaPortal 1.1.0

That is definitely one roote cause of my problems. But what about security issues if I do so?
    i have configured windowsupdate to only download updates - but wait for my permission to install them.
    That way you still see the notification about ne available windowsupdates. but avoid these "auto-reboots" caused i.e. by the recent MS platformupdates. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom