This is Rediculously Frustrating. (1 Viewer)

Ed Nielsen

August 7, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Since WMC went away, I've had to find a replacement. MediaPortal looked great. installation and setup was a breeze. Both TV and radio stations were found and all was well. Then, the TV viewing went away. I can preview all of the channels that were found while scanning -- just can't watch any of them via the MediaPortal. FM radio has not been affected at all. All plugins are enabled in the configuration. No EPG, either

So, I uninstalled MP1 and deleted remaining files from the Program Data folder and installed MP2. TV worked great, but it told me that my tuner wouldn't work for radio. Rather interesting seeing as how it worked fine with WMC and also with MP1. Tried the latest "Snapshot" that was recommended on this forum, with no change. Uninstalled MP2 and deleted the remaining files, and re-installed MP1. Again, no TV viewing although I can preview just fine. FM radio works great.

One shouldn't have to spend days and research through pages upon pages of forums just to be able to watch TV and listen to the radio.

Aaaargh!!!

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hello, as our TV guru always say no need to have install-uninstall-install cycles.
    You just need to post logs http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files
    EPG setting could be more complicated that in WMC since MP don't have direct acces to Microsoft leagy EPG service as WMC.
    But you have several options - WebEPG grabber from imdb, mc2xml with MP's xmltv plugin, schedules direct and so on.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/3_TV/0_TV_Guide/0_EPG/XMLTV

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ed, I get your frustration. Your patience is appreciated. :)

Then, the TV viewing went away.
    The fact that preview in TV Server config was working tells me this was not a "terminal" issue, and therefore switching to MP2 was unnecessary and extreme (read: a waste of your time). Better would have been to take 2 minutes and post log files so we can help you. As Edalex rightly said, when people reinstall and swap between MP1 and MP2 it makes me want to tear my hair out, because in 99% of cases it won't help!

No EPG, either
    Okay, but what have you done to make EPG work?
    Team MediaPortal is not Microsoft. We don't have billions of dollars in the bank. In fact we rely on donations. This means we can't afford to pay for a guide data service that "just works" on install. You have to sort out your own EPG. There are various options, most of which are explained in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

...and installed MP2. TV worked great, but it told me that my tuner wouldn't work for radio. Rather interesting seeing as how it worked fine with WMC and also with MP1.
    Please understand that MP2 is a work in progress. There are a few known issues with the current releases, and this is one of them. I thought the problem had been sorted in the latest snapshot but clearly I was mistaken. If you had given me a chance to respond before switching back to MP1 then I could have provided a solution for you.

Uninstalled MP2 and deleted the remaining files, and re-installed MP1. Again, no TV viewing although I can preview just fine. FM radio works great.
    As above: this is your cue to post log files.

One shouldn't have to spend days and research through pages upon pages of forums just to be able to watch TV and listen to the radio.
    Nobody expects you to do that! :)
    When it comes to MP1, things should "just work" as documented in our wiki. If they don't, please report so that we can (a) help you and (b) fix the problem so nobody else runs into it.
    When it comes to MP2, as I said above: it's a work in progress. As such, you can expect a few issues. FM radio, analog TV and external input support happens to be one of them.

From here, if you want to stay with MediaPortal (which I don't take for granted) I would ask you to choose either MP1 or MP2 and stick with it.
    If you choose MP1, please post log files so we can help you with the TV issue.
    If you choose MP2, let me know and I'll supply a solution for your FM radio issue.
    If you choose something else, good luck! :)

Ed Nielsen

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Either MP1 or MP2 would be fine for me. To be honest, it's not like this is an HTPC or anything like that -- just occasional use. If it would be beneficial in any way for you, as a developer, to help me get these things worked out in MP2, then I'd be willing to go that route. If not, then I'll just go with MP1 and upgrade to MP2 sometime down the road.

Ed Nielsen

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    The problem I encounter is not being able to watch TV. I can preview the channels in the TV-Server Configuration client. I have verified that the TV server is running in services.msc. -- stopping then restarting it a couple of times. One thing that I've found rather interesting is that during a scan for channels, the Signal Strength indicator never advances, even when the Signal Quality indicator does (which is on all channels). The signal strength at the input of the tuner card is 3dBmV on the weakest channel.

Another issue is the EPG won't populate. Right now, I have WebEPG checked, and have also checked individually XmlTV and TV Movie EPG Import. Tried all 3 of them simultaneously. At the top of what should be the guide, it reads LabelMissing.

But, one thing at a time... ;)

freetoair

Portal Pro
    April 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Ed Nielsen. I feel your frustration. Since Microsoft abandoning WMC many people are having to go through a massive headache with getting used to alternatives like Media Portal. I have spent lost evenings and weekends because of recording fails, wrong codecs, epg and other issues. It is a pain in the ass. But the guys on the forum are super helpful and have always be there to help. Yes WMC was almost flawless, but Mepo has a freedom that is worth the hassle. Hope things get resolved.

Ed Nielsen

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    @ Ed
    The problem I encounter is not being able to watch TV.
    The log files don't show any attempt to watch TV. So, does the problem happen before you get an opportunity to do that, or...?
    There have been attempts since installation. The version is 1.12.0, if that might have any bearing.

I click on MP and wait for it to load. When it does, I click on TV. The sub-menu open and I have 5 options from which to choose. One thing I have always found rather interesting is that if I move my mouse off of TV in the main menu to select an item in the sub-menu, the sub-menu goes away. The only way I can select a sub-menu item is via the up/down buttons on my keyboard and "Enter." Maybe it's supposed to be that way, I don't know.

Anyway, I select "TV," and then see the attached screenshot.
    MP TV Menu.jpg
    If I select TV On, the little light at the right-hand side of that selection blinks.

If I select TV Guide, I see the attached screenshot.
    MP TV Guide.jpg

If I select Channel, nothing happens. I can't even make another selection after that. I can only click "Home" or close the client.
    There are no recordings, so I don't expect anything there.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One thing I have always found rather interesting is that if I move my mouse off of TV in the main menu to select an item in the sub-menu, the sub-menu goes away. The only way I can select a sub-menu item is via the up/down buttons on my keyboard and "Enter." Maybe it's supposed to be that way, I don't know.
    Titan cannot correctly be used with a mouse. If you like Titan and prefer continue using a mouse, then you should try the skin TITANIUS instead, which is inspired from Titan but is completely independent and (IMHO nicer).

If I select Channel, nothing happens. I can't even make another selection after that. I can only click "Home" or close the client.
    The fact that the labels don't show correctly is due to some missing data in the skin. However, that's weird since this is a basic function of any skin and certainly Titan. Can you try the same with a different skin (either install Titanius as suggested above) or select Default Wide to verify if the guide is still showing nothing.

In the TVServer setup you should at least have two groups: "Channels" and "All Channels". It is the latter that is the editable one and, unless you have created other groups, will be displayed by the client. Hopefully you did not delete it. Also there is an option in the Mediaportal Configuration to not display the "All Channels" group. If activated and no other group defined there would be nothing to display.

The logs would normally tell but the attached TVServer log is no contzaining the startup portion where the groups are read.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    the default Titan skin works well with a remote or keyboard but is not mouse friendly for getting into TV. If you want to use a mouse I suggest switching to the Default-Wide skin, see the following, http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/141_Configuration/MediaPortal_Configuration/13_GUI

not sure why you have trouble getting TV to display when you press "Channel" it should bring up a list your channels and give an option to select a channel. This should work even if you don't have EPG setup. Gettnig EPG setup would be a next step once basic watch TV is working.

To understand why your are getting stuck you need to upload logs files so we can see where things are getting confused. see

EDIT, just noticed you already uploaded log files, taking a look

As above: this is your cue to post log files.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom