Thoughts on hiding controls for ".." in music (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have just hacked about with the genres file to add a conditional visibility constraint on controls for default album art image and album art border in mymusicgenresxml

By adding:
    Code:
     + !string.equals(#selecteditem, ..)
    to the visible tag in code the annoying no image no longer appears when you have the ".." parent folder highlighted. For me this default image spoils Maya a little.

Just wondering what others thought of this?

Other thing I was thinking is that if you don't want image to disappear completely as I can see how some might prefer to have an image then why no make an arrow image or something appear when #selecteditem is ".." instead of the default no image available???

I have also applied this to now selected item label in common.window.music.xml

Edit: I have added the skin files and also image of how this would look with a default image (this was the only one I could find with a backround). xml files need renaming to mymusicgenres.xml and common.window.music.xml

Attachments

• 17-19-16.png
      17-19-16.png
      405.5 KB
    • 17-19-19.png
      17-19-19.png
      440.4 KB
    • 12-30-51.png
      12-30-51.png
      413 KB
    • mymusicgenres_arrow.xml
      12.1 KB
    • mymusicgenres_no_image.xml
      11.7 KB
    • common.window.music_no_parent.xml
      2.7 KB

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This is awesome! May I suggest that you make a new thread in the general skin forum with this code so all skinners can use this?

Emph

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    This is awesome! May I suggest that you make a new thread in the general skin forum with this code so all skinners can use this?

Emph
    This is more to get ideas on whether this is good or not... the functionality is nothing new and skinners have been able to do this for a while.

Having lived with this for a day I am not 100% sure it looks quite right. I think it looks better than the default image but I think there is too much of a change. I may and hack together my other idea where the up arrow gets displayed when looking at the parent folder and see if that looks better.

Guess you two like it this way :D

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    As I understand it from looking at the images, you have changed things so that the first item in the list is highlighted, rather than the "..", so that when you open a view you get an Artist or Album image straight away. Is there any way of removing the ".." from the list completely? I navigate these menus with my remote which has a Back button, so I have always found the ".." completely redundant.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    As I understand it from looking at the images, you have changed things so that the first item in the list is highlighted, rather than the "..", so that when you open a view you get an Artist or Album image straight away. Is there any way of removing the ".." from the list completely? I navigate these menus with my remote which has a Back button, so I have always found the ".." completely redundant.
    No I haven't changed that. You still go straight to ".." entry and not first real entry.

The folder navigation buttons are not going to be removed as not everyone has a remote with a back button (even even then often the back button does not always actually go back; I think my back button when say going into music via genre | Album and highlighting an album then pressing back actually takes me to to the MP home screen not back to genres...)

All I have changes is the image not showing when ".." is highlighted

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Thanks for the clarification. I understand why people would want the "..", I just wish it was optional.

Cheers

Neil

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In Moving Pictures and in MP TV-Series the "..." is removed and nobody's complained about it. If it would be possible to hide this with some simple .xml code, it would be awesome, but I don't think it'll be that easy. That would be a nice option for the skin installer otherwise.

Emph

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    In Moving Pictures and in MP TV-Series the "..." is removed and nobody's complained about it. If it would be possible to hide this with some simple .xml code, it would be awesome, but I don't think it'll be that easy. That would be a nice option for the skin installer otherwise.
    Never really thought about that but yes to remove the ".." entries is quite a lot of work as it needs many code changes and therefore is not going to happen with RC1

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Coming back to the original point, I would say not showing a folder icon for '..' is an improvement.

Mark

J

joostzilla

Removing the 'no image available' is great.
    Personally i would like the black frame to stay. Either with an arrow on black background (like in thumbview) or just a black background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom